XBox 360 Controller Suddenly Causes BSOD When Connected :(

childofthetao

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Could someone help me troubleshoot this problem, I can't play any games that require a controller :(

My XBox 360 controller used to work fine, I don't know what made it start to suddenly go BSOD on me when I plug it in.

Does anyone know what might be the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks

conflict on the usb drivers. go in to device manager and delete all the usb devices including the hidden 1s then reboot.
all the connected devices will then reload there drivers and you should be able to plug in the 360 controler without issue...
also try pluging it in the back usb rather than the front.

childofthetao

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Hi Hexit, thanks for trying to help.

I did this, and it has solved the BSOD!

However, the controller doesn't work. It makes the usb connected sound when I plug it in. I uninstalled MS Xbox Accessories (the software for the controller, including the driver I presume), then reinstalled it.

No programs actually recognize the controller. Any ideas?

Thanks

the controller shouldnt need any other software. mine doesnt...
i have the basic 360 controler which cost 10 quid less but is exactly the same hardware.

un install its driver. reboot and then plug it in... you should here a bloop noise as the usb discovers it. then in the bottom right of the task bar you should see a little icon with a green or blue dot traveling in a small circle... this should be the driver installing... after this if all is well the controler will show up in
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers along with every other external peripheral... 1s its there it will be seen by any games that allow it.

you should see a green light appear on the controllers xbox logo normally it will be on the top left of the logo denoting its controller 1. you may want to check the break away block on the lead (just behind the usb plug) to make sure its properly connected if the controller isnt showing up or working as it should.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

+1...what he said.

childofthetao

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
In devices and Printers the XBOX controller does show up, but there is no green light on the controller either.

How do I uninstall the drivers for this controller?

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
You shoudn't have to...but if you must. Do you have an Admin account (or is your account providing you with the proper rights)? If so, you should be able to uninstall/remove it.

If you can't remove the controller in your device manager then go to your "Add/Remove Programs" or whatever it's called and uninstall from there.

go into device manager and you should see it listed there as microsoft common controller for windows class and uninstall it... you may need to plug it in to see it appear though.

if you dont see it make sure your have clicked show hidden devices in the top view tab