Overclocking PC suggestions

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Some friends and I are building a pc totally for overclocking. The specs we are looking at are

Intel 2.4c
Abit IC7
2x 256 PC 3500 or PC 3700
Peltier for the cpu, watercooling the chipset
Generic case from a garage that we will mod

Now, does the IC7 offer much advantage over an IS7 for overclocking? And which brand of high quality memory should we buy? We want it to be dual channel and preferably under $150. I didn't list the video card because a high quality one won't be needed. If you have any suggestions on any part of the system, please do so, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know of any overclockingadvantage (new word for the day). But I can say this:

A lot of websites praise boards like the IC7 and P4C800 for moving the AGP slot one position down, allowing more clearence for the DIMM clips. But that's because these lamers have never tried filling all the slots in their board: The IS7 and P4P800 keep the AGP slot in the top position and move the PCI cards down, which leave an empty space perfect for tall graphics card coolers.

Instead of praising these companies for moving the AGP slot down, maybe they should be suggesting they move the DIMMs UP around 1/4 inch toward the top edge. But NO, reviewers too stupid to suggest that.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I bet those reviewers never mod a CPU HSF on their grpahic card which will eat TWO PCI slots. I always find that it's very annoying that AGP slot is way too close to PCI slot, which will cost heat problem to overclocked graphic card if I have to use PCI slot2.

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some cards use 2 slot spaces by default!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS