Memory cooling worth it?

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Well cooling the memory gives you the option to put the Vdimm up to 2.8 therefore enables higher frequencies to run stably.

I hate Computers! I could only overclock my Barton 2500+ to 2645mhz. My Radeon 9700pro core/mem speed won't go above 410/720. I really hate computers!

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Well cooling the memory gives you the option to put the Vdimm up to 2.8 therefore enables higher frequencies to run stably.

I hate Computers! I could only overclock my Barton 2500+ to 2645mhz. My Radeon 9700pro core/mem speed won't go above 410/720. I really hate computers!

svol

Champion
That depends if your memory tends to run hot when you OC it or increase the voltage. In some case it just gets a little warm... then memory cooling is useless. But if it gets hot memory cooling is needed to get a good OC.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Its debatable, dempends who you talk to.
If you are dealing with ultra fast memory running at high Voltage then memory cooling may make it more stable or run a little higher.

But the difference is rarely greater than 5% at best. Maybe only 1-2Mhz.

<b><i>"Why don't you try practicing random acts of intelligence and senseless acts of self-control?"</b></i> :eek:

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
quite frankly, i think the copper plate on my RAM just looks cool through the window, though its ability to help me OC my mem any more is debatable (though an interesting fact i learnt about my modules - Samsung RAM can only go up to 49*C before dying.. this comes from a friend/distributor who was testing mem to sell for overclocking).

<b>Well, got DSL back - now I need to split my connection through my comp and switch, stupid new modem doesn't have built-in router... urgh. One good thing though - watercooling!!</b>