Tower 40 to 50 miles away

I was in Hawaii last month, and while on the island of Maui, I went to
the top of Haleakala, an altitude of 10,0023 feet (3055 m), where I made
an analog phone call (no digital service available on top of the
mountain). I just checked my statement, and, to my surprise, that call
was placed through a tower on the island of Hawaii, at least 40 miles (64
km) away! I thought that was pretty amazing! I guess I was high enough
that all the signals originating from Maui were beneath me.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Actually, it's not that unusual. Several years ago I made three calls, just
minutes apart, from the Southern California coast (just south of LAX). The
first and last call went through nearby Los Angeles cell sites while the
middle
call went through a San Luis Obispo cell site (200 miles away). Because the
call was to the Los Angeles area, it incurred a long distance charge from
San Luis Obispo.

When I called customer service regarding the long distance charge, they told
me it is not unusual for cell phone signals to bounce long distances over
water.

"Bob Scheurle" <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote in message
>I was in Hawaii last month, and while on the island of Maui, I went to
> the top of Haleakala, an altitude of 10,0023 feet (3055 m), where I made
> an analog phone call (no digital service available on top of the
> mountain). I just checked my statement, and, to my surprise, that call
> was placed through a tower on the island of Hawaii, at least 40 miles (64
> km) away! I thought that was pretty amazing! I guess I was high enough
> that all the signals originating from Maui were beneath me.
>
> --
> Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
> njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."
> Remove X's and dashes | -- Bill Gates, March 1980

On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:09:08 GMT, Bob Scheurle
<njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote:

>I was in Hawaii last month, and while on the island of Maui, I went to
>the top of Haleakala, an altitude of 10,0023 feet (3055 m), where I made
>an analog phone call (no digital service available on top of the
>mountain). I just checked my statement, and, to my surprise, that call
>was placed through a tower on the island of Hawaii, at least 40 miles (64
>km) away! I thought that was pretty amazing! I guess I was high enough
>that all the signals originating from Maui were beneath me.

I would expect as much, and probably better. No obstacles between you
and the tower except the curvature of the earth, and your mountainous
perch helped eliminate most of that. Until a local VZW tower went
live near my home, *digital* calls from here would sometimes show up
on a tower on the side of a small mountain approximately 35 miles
away.

BTW, how cold was it that high up?

On Sun, 15 May 2005 01:21:50 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> wrote:

>>the top of Haleakala, an altitude of 10,0023 feet (3055 m),
>
>BTW, how cold was it that high up?

Not cold at all. I put on a jacket, mainly to protect my arms from the
sun. But I would have been comfortable walking around in short-sleeves.
It was a really nice day, but I didn't want to hang around there for a
long time, as I was a little dizzy and my legs hurt just from going up
one flight of stairs.

My wife went to the top of Mauna Kea, almost 14,000 feet up, and said it
was very cold. There was some snow on the top of the mountain.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."
Remove X's and dashes | -- Bill Gates, March 1980

Technically, you were making a local call, weren't you? Did they reduce the
charge?

"J" <J@J.com> wrote in message news:dfKhe.1370$mv5.967@trndny07...
> Technically, you were making a local call, weren't you? Did they reduce
> the charge?

Yes, they did.