Sonicwall Pro 330 vs Cisco 2611 for Firewall

I have a little project where I can use a Sonicwall Pro 330 or Cisco 2611XM
with firewall feature set as a firewall. I can't decide which would be the
better choice. I know the sonicwall supports about 128,000 concurrent
connections, content filter, and virus. I am not sure about the concurrent
connections with the cisco. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about sonicwall cisco 2611 firewall

    Bill Adams wrote:

    > I have a little project where I can use a Sonicwall Pro 330 or Cisco 2611XM
    > with firewall feature set as a firewall. I can't decide which would be the
    > better choice. I know the sonicwall supports about 128,000 concurrent
    > connections, content filter, and virus. I am not sure about the concurrent
    > connections with the cisco. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    I am not sure the 330 is even made anymore. I thought it was replaced by
    the 3060.
    I have always heard 2600 ciscos aren't exactly speed demons, but very
    stable.
    I take it both of these have already been purchased?
    One point to take into account is that sonicwall support is pathetic. Do
    you have support agreements activce for both? If so, go with the cisco.
    If not, support is a non-issue.

    --
    Copyright 2004 T. Sean Weintz
    This post may be copied freely without

    I use both and the Sonicwall is easily the more powerful and faster
    firewall. Cisco IOS has a lot of cool features since the hardware and
    software are modular, but if you don't need those features, the
    Sonicwall is better.

    And if you don't have the Sonicwall yet, I recommend the newer 2040 or
    3060.

    -Robert

    Rob <bobh1234@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > I use both and the Sonicwall is easily the more powerful and faster
    > firewall. Cisco IOS has a lot of cool features since the hardware and
    > software are modular, but if you don't need those features, the
    > Sonicwall is better.
    >
    > And if you don't have the Sonicwall yet, I recommend the newer 2040 or
    > 3060.
    >
    > -Robert
    >

    > On Thu, 27 May 2004 10:19:50 -0500, Bill Adams
    > <badams@notarealaddress.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a little project where I can use a Sonicwall Pro 330 or Cisco
    >>2611XM with firewall feature set as a firewall. I can't decide which
    >>would be the better choice. I know the sonicwall supports about
    >>128,000 concurrent connections, content filter, and virus. I am not
    >>sure about the concurrent connections with the cisco. Any thoughts
    >>would be appreciated.

    Thanks for replying.
    Nothing has been purchased, there was just a pro 330 not really being
    used and a possible solution. I am not going to flood with all the
    details involved in this project but there are two fairly indentically
    priced solutions. One uses the firewall with the Cisco 2611-XM router
    and the other uses Sonicwall 4060 as the firewall. I am wanting to get
    opinions on how the Cisco 2611-XM firewall compares (mostly performance
    related) to the Sonicwall 4060.

    I know the sonicwall handles around 500,000 concurrent connections, can
    push 300mbit and is stateful. Surely the cisco is stateful, not sure
    about concurrent connections.

    Thanks

    Thanks again

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 10:19:50 -0500, Bill Adams
    <badams@notarealaddress.com> wrote:

    >I have a little project where I can use a Sonicwall Pro 330 or Cisco 2611XM
    >with firewall feature set as a firewall. I can't decide which would be the
    >better choice. I know the sonicwall supports about 128,000 concurrent
    >connections, content filter, and virus. I am not sure about the concurrent
    >connections with the cisco. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    Are you open for additional suggestions? I'm a reseller of ZyXEL
    eqipment and would like to propose the ZyWALL 70 Internet Security
    Gateway. You may find more info here:
    http://shopping.nowthor.com/0760559104146.html

    In terms of firewall performance (not the 1000 other features an IOS
    router can give you), the Sonicwall wins hands down. Actually,
    compared to a 2611XM, most firewalls win.

    I'd still choose the 2611XM is the location called for it though, but
    it simply cannot compete in raw speed. If the location has only 5 or
    10 users, maybe even 20, off a single T1, it would probably be fine.

    -Robert

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 13:36:17 -0500, Bill Adams
    <badams@notarealaddress.com> wrote:

    >Rob <bobh1234@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I use both and the Sonicwall is easily the more powerful and faster
    >> firewall. Cisco IOS has a lot of cool features since the hardware and
    >> software are modular, but if you don't need those features, the
    >> Sonicwall is better.
    >>
    >> And if you don't have the Sonicwall yet, I recommend the newer 2040 or
    >> 3060.
    >>
    >> -Robert
    >>

    >> On Thu, 27 May 2004 10:19:50 -0500, Bill Adams
    >> <badams@notarealaddress.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a little project where I can use a Sonicwall Pro 330 or Cisco
    >>>2611XM with firewall feature set as a firewall. I can't decide which
    >>>would be the better choice. I know the sonicwall supports about
    >>>128,000 concurrent connections, content filter, and virus. I am not
    >>>sure about the concurrent connections with the cisco. Any thoughts
    >>>would be appreciated.
    >>

    >Thanks for replying.
    >Nothing has been purchased, there was just a pro 330 not really being
    >used and a possible solution. I am not going to flood with all the
    >details involved in this project but there are two fairly indentically
    >priced solutions. One uses the firewall with the Cisco 2611-XM router
    >and the other uses Sonicwall 4060 as the firewall. I am wanting to get
    >opinions on how the Cisco 2611-XM firewall compares (mostly performance
    >related) to the Sonicwall 4060.
    >
    >I know the sonicwall handles around 500,000 concurrent connections, can
    >push 300mbit and is stateful. Surely the cisco is stateful, not sure
    >about concurrent connections.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Thanks again

Firewalls Cisco Security Networking