Im not exactly a computer wiz i need help!

hbm12

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hello,
I have a powerbook G4 OS X 10.5.6. I would really like to play Diablo 1 on it but i am having difficulties can anyone offer some advice?
thank you in advance!

tinyE

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Your message was not rude, your delivery was. The guy just needs some help. If he's on the wrong thread calmly inform him and, if possible, tell him where he might go to find an answer for his query. There is absolutly no call to spit back at him in all caps they way you did. If he came in giving you attitude I could see you acting that way. However he did not, and you did not need to. I'm not trying to start a fight here but being civil never hurt anyone and you can catch a lot more flies with honey.

some times? your always abrupt...
you spend more time putting all the best than giving answers...
if you dont have time then save your energy and put what you save into something else...

anyways OP theres not a lot you can do your max is just old and below spec for the game. its over 6 years old so you would be lucky to run any recent games on it. they did cost a lot back in the day but they were very under spec as far as a comparative pc went. diablo 1 isnt actually supported on your hardware. it may run the o.s fine but games are different they have much more need for set requirments and the g4 just doesnt have em...
the gfx core in the g4 doesnt meet the minimum direct x requirments so there is no way it will play...

Classic won't work since you're running an Intel. Diablo under Classic (on PPC) works poorly or not at all anyway, in my experience.

You can try SheepShaver. However: it can be confusing to set up (the linked directions @Xeem are pretty good); you need an OS 8 or 9 system folder/disc to run it (NOT downloadable from Apple); and it's pretty unstable for gaming in any case - this on my PPC, which runs it natively.

The Windows solution. Since the Battle Chest CDs are hybrids, you'll have a PC version to run. However, you'll have to buy a copy of Parallels/VMWare. Why not just do Boot Camp for free? Even then, you'd still need (have to buy?) a copy of Windows XP. A little pricey to run one old game.

Short answer: there's no one solution that's both easy and free, sadly. (*to quote from another site that answered your issue)

if you want to play games than you gonna need to spend 500+ on a desktop or 750+ on a lappy. and that will get you an entry level gaming system with enough grunt to play diablo3.

tinyE

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Oddly enough I recently got the hankering for the original Diablo so I reinstalled it. It took me a good hour of tinkering to get it running (lots of patching and playing with compatibility modes) but I managed to fix her.

Now the punchline:
After all of that, ten minutes into the game I realized that as great as it was, Diablo 1 has NOT aged gracefully. D2 remains a blast to play but I know NES titles that had more fluid character movement than D1. I ended up uninstalling the whole thing.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
i was just looking at the graphics hardware for the powerbook G4, it should have a powerful enough card to run diablo 1. i just dont know how running the game would work under mac though, i thought they made a MAC version as well.

also it should meet the directx requirements for diablo 1, i used to play it on a savage pro as well as geforce2 mx 200