error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
i know i've spoken about this way too often in the past few months, but allas I've finally got my watercooling setup up and running for 3 days now, no leaks no probs, NO NOISE. hopefully will have some pics up soon - though its set up kinda of messy right now, waiting for custom built acrylic case for pump/rad as well as some drill bits for some lil case mods, heh
FINALLY!

<b>Well, got DSL back - now I need to split my connection through my comp and switch, stupid new modem doesn't have built-in router... urgh. One good thing though - watercooling!!b]

svol

Champion
I got my Revision 3.0 (I like to give them a nummer, previous was 2.2) watercooling working too. It works excellent! CPU temp is rock stable... water doesn't even get warm. And I use a large 2 fan radiator which is very quiet.

Too bad I don't have a digicam.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
nice... I love these stable temps too - but for now I'm using a no-name 120mm fan at 7V, and I've tested to see if I get any difference between running it at 12V and 7V (temp-wise) and I get none - the air is cooooooool and the water is too... gonna be getting a GPU waterblock soon too though, because I still have that annoying buzzing Crystal Orb, and as for the Northbridge I think I'll just find a nice fat OEM heatsink and keep it fanless.. so far so good. I do need better tubing though, because what I've got kinks WAY too easily so it worries me a little, but otherwise YAY :smile: ... now lets see who can have pics up first :wink:

how do you like danger den's new GPU blocks btw? was thinking about those, though i dunno... the Innovatek one seems pretty good to me for a lil less $$

<b>Well, got DSL back - now I need to split my connection through my comp and switch, stupid new modem doesn't have built-in router... urgh. One good thing though - watercooling!!</b>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
thanks dude, I've learnt a bunch from them before :wink:

<b>Well, got DSL back - now I need to split my connection through my comp and switch, stupid new modem doesn't have built-in router... urgh. One good thing though - watercooling!!</b>

PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
I was browsing for a old thread on good water coolers and you guys seem to have assembled some nice ones apparently. Care to tell us all how much it costed you and how to do it in case we want to duplicate your results?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well how bout I give you a litte run-down to star with, you can look around for yourself (at the different parts availble) and then come back with some questions - just makes it easier :wink: .

Well first-off, I never thought I'd end-up going into watercooling, ever. I mean, I thought "what the hell do I need to spend the money for, and I can deal with fans"... well, I'm a weak man. Now I know I don't/didn't have as many as a lot of people, but nonetheless, my computer is about 9 feet from my head when I sleep so...
I had 1x120mm (95cfm/37db), 2x80mm Tornados (85cfm, 47db), a Thermaltake Crystal Orb on the vid card (18cfm, 25db), a Vantec Aeroflow on the CPU (cfm?, 35db) as well as a dual-fan powersupply (Enermax, 350W-VE model). Even after installing a rheobus, things started getting <b>too</b> loud. Heard the system from anywhere in the house, used to think someone was blowdrying their hair in the other bathroom, etc, etc. Then I realised that I could get off watercooling for cheap if I did it smart.
First off, I started doing tech-support for a retail company that paid me in cash or in products, so yeah, heh. BUT I did go out an find myself an old Buick's heater-core, essential for saving money on an expensive radiator. The heatcore, brand new and off of E-Bay costed me $18, and it is 13x6.5x2.5 inches - not bad huh? Next, got me a good 'ol Danger Den Maze3 for $40, and an Eheim 1250 pump for $70, and a 12oz bottle of WaterWetter for $10. Lastly, 20' of 1/2" I.D. tubing for ~$4, some clamps for $1, and 3 bottles of distilled water for like $1 each (used on to clean-out the system, one to fill and one as extra). Total price of $146 dollars, oh, and I used my old side-mount 120mm fan, heh. Now, I'm sure I've got a better rad than any of the BlackIce Pro ones, and I've got a great pump and waterblock, for less than a f#cking kit... And I've got a computer that is nice and quite (like no joke, I've got an external setup under my desk so I really don't hear anything unless I'm crawled up near it... also, the pump is sumbmersed, so thats only a lil hummmmmmmm).

Anythin else :smile: ?

PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
yes a few questions, reservoir (man that's a hard word to spell without an example to cheat off of) what do you recommend for that? and is it good to submerge the pump? for a pump that's not submerged do you have to worry about it overheating or just it's noise?

And a heater-core, I like that but is there a particular car brand or anything that works best or are they all pretty much the same? And would you suggest sucking or blowing air through the heater core/radiator? And while we are on the subject should you cover the whole thing with fans? or just strap on a couple of 120mm fans for instance? After all 13 inches is like 3302mm or don't you even worry about airflow through the heater-core radiator because it's so big?

Lastly I'm a lan gamer sometimes so any suggestions on how I could build it to look not too bad and be portable?

So far from your input I was thinking about going with a few different things: (after looking up a few different reviews of water blocks and stuff)
1. Waterblock : Swiftech MCW5000-P (man everyone loves those thousands to put onto their product title don't they?)

2. Car Heater-core radiator off of whatever car someone leaves unattended overnight on the street

3. MCP300 inline water pump (one of the Swiftech products again supposedly puts out around 330 gph or at least supposedly can)

4: tubing from wherever I can find it, and then whatever I decide on a reservoir (damn hard to spell word again)

5: Tool chest to store it all, I'm thinking if I moded a tool chest to have lots of openings I could put the radiator, pump and maybe reservoir in it.... which poses another question, where do you put a reservoir for best results? on top? on bottom? outside the case? within the case?

Well what do you think?

jrbemis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Send a picture (hrin)

AMD2600+,AMD2000+,P4/1.8,P3/800,Via/800,P3/700 and a farm of Dells; OS/2, Linux(RH), W2K, NT4, Novell, UNIX. So little time, so many OS's

jrbemis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
The tubing is becoming a problem. As it heats, it seems to soften. The tubing is "slimping" into a convenient shape. Instead of staying round in the criss-section, it is becoming oval. In most cases, it narrows up a lot. The tubing with the Innovatek package seems to be having the most difficulty. In the next rev, I was planning on adding lots of 90 degree elbows. But, I need to attach the tubing to the case. Velcro may be the answer. Anybody have another idea?

AMD2600+,AMD2000+,P4/1.8,P3/800,Via/800,P3/700 and a farm of Dells; OS/2, Linux(RH), W2K, NT4, Novell, UNIX. So little time, so many OS's

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well first-off i wouldn't add elbows to the tubing - it'll reduce your waterflow... you can always get reinforced tubing or better quality tubing (i.e. another composite), or do what i did and take some solid soddering wire and wrap it around the kinking part of your tubing - it really healps (can also use wire-loom).

traviss187

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2003
if you don't want ot buy one and need a cheap resevoir, just get some pvc pieces and glue them tgether and drill inlet/outlets, save alof of $$$

PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Hey error 911 you kinda missed my questions I think and I really would find your input appretiated.

few questions still remain, reservoir (man that's a hard word to spell without an example to cheat off of) what do you recommend for that? and is it good to submerge the pump? for a pump that's not submerged do you have to worry about it overheating or just it's noise?

And a heater-core, I like that but is there a particular car brand or anything that works best or are they all pretty much the same? And would you suggest sucking or blowing air through the heater core/radiator? And while we are on the subject should you cover the whole thing with fans? or just strap on a couple of 120mm fans for instance? After all 13 inches is like 3302mm or don't you even worry about airflow through the heater-core radiator because it's so big?

Lastly I'm a lan gamer sometimes so any suggestions on how I could build it to look not too bad and be portable?

PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
also I was kidding about the whole stealing the heater core if you hadn't guessed, but I would like some advice on that. are there any particular ones I should look for or do all of them work about the same?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
oh forgot to mention that.. well for my reservoir I went to Wall-Mart and picked myself up some cheap tupperware big enough to fit the pump in it with a little headspace. then i just threw it in there, strapped on some foam to the bottom of the pump to absorb vibrations. Basically, I decided to use a submerged-pump system so that the water would drown-out the hummm of the pump.. as for overheating.. well, the pump won't overheat if not submerged, though it will probably have a longer working life (oh and don't worry about the heat it adds - with a good radiator it makes no difference).

with the heatercore, when i was lookin around i was more-so looking by size - i wanted something that would fit 2x120mm fans (though i ended-up only using 1x120mm).. but airflow is going to be restricted regardless of size, remember that the fins used to cool the liquid in the tubes of the heatercore are in the way of the fan's airflow, so you will need a fan with a good airpressure capability. And as for suck or blow, i don't think it really makes the biggest differences, tho mine blows.

to make it portable is going to be a little hassle if its external or not... tho, you can always use some quick-disconnects threaded into the side of the case for when you want to pick up the case and move it around... then for the reservoir just make sure its watertight and you're set.

as for the parts.. i like the waterblock, its a nice unit, but the pump is kinda, ummm, iffffy. I don't really like the swiftech pumps, haven't heard too much good from them, though if you want cheaper than the Eheim pumps check out the Via-Aqua or Hydror pumps..

finally, the reservoir can be anywhere, anyhow... like i said, i've got mine outside of the case, under my desk, though if you chose you could make it and fit it into your case.. using a toolbox will give you a good base to mount the heatercore and such, though i'm not too sure about size if you want to fit into your case.. i would mount the gear to the case itself in such a case.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
yeah i figured :lol:

tho it would be an easy way to get your hands on one, lol

ummm, mine is a 1973 Buick Regal heatercore, though i've seen ~1980's Camaro/Firebird heatercores that were good too... might be easy to check out an auto shop, ask 'em what they have and then grab it
they all are the same thing essentially, so i think you should go by size and yeah...

svol

Champion
I use a heat core from a Seat Ibiza... fits 2 120mm fans perfectly. Many fins and passes... total aluminium and nice waterflow. Keeps my water temps at ambien even after running for many hours.

Here is a pic of it (in test setup for a school project about thermoelectrics (peltiers/TECs): <A HREF="http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~svo/newwc/Radiator.jpg" target="_new">Click</A>... I used 3 80mm fans then because I didn't had any spare 120mm fans around.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: