wats the 7v trick? or is it v7? i forgot

svol

Champion
With this trick you let a 12V fan run at 7V so it is slower and produces less noice.

You do this by connecting the red positive wire with the yellow 12V cable of a molex conncetor and the black ground with the red 5V cable of a molex connector.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
7v trick yes. I did it to slow a buzzy fan down.
its a simple matter of swapping wires around so that 12v line is 12v, and the ground or 0v is replaced with the 5v line.
12 - 5 = 7v.

Course you ONLY run fans like this. Dont try plugging in any other components otherwise you might fry them.

<b><i>"Why don't you try practicing random acts of intelligence and senseless acts of self-control?"</b></i> :eek:

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
yup, thats the case with my 120mm fan. But when i do get it running at 7V it makes a lot of noise.

Now i have 2 of them lying idle.

<font color=red>I only write to get more posts...</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheMask on 08/04/03 08:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
i tried it just now after seeing ur suggestion. It runs like a charm - no noise at 5V. But the problem is it doesn't start at 5V. I have to plug it into 12V and then connect it to the 5V Lead.

Here is the set-up that is working presently at 5V. The red wire from the Fan to the red wire (+5V line) of the Molex connector. The Black wire from the fan to the black wire (GND) on the Molex connector. (please bear with me for the details. I know that u know what color supplies how much voltage, but i dont want <b>myself</b> to make any stoopid <b>thinking</b> like i did b4 :wink: )

Like i said the fan wont start at 5V but will run if it is started. If i dont want to manually do the switching, here's what i think wud work. (I know it wud work, but still want to make sure that it wont blow up anything else). If i connect the red {positive} wire from the Fan to the yellow lead from the Molex connector (+12V) thru a switch, when i turn ON the PC, i cud switch on this SWITCH for a few seconds and then switch it OFF. This way the fan wud be supplied with 2 sources - 12V and 5V both in parallel right? SWITCH is <b>ON</b>, the fan gets 12V and starts, then SWITCH is <b>OFF</b>, fan is supplied by 5V and runs without any noise....but wud this damage anyother components?

Or i cud just get a switch with 3 positions.

Or even better, i cud connect the Fan externally to the DC Variable Adapter which supplies between 3V and 12V.

<font color=red>I only write to get more posts...</font color=red>

svol

Champion
As long as the 12V and 5V wires don't connect with eachother and you don't supply it with both 5V and 12V at the same time it should work perfect.

You can also give the fan a little push to help it start on 5V.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Amazingly, since yesterday night, my 120mm fan starts and runs even at 5V!!!

Just curious, what wud happen if i supply the fan with both +12V and +5V?

<font color=red>I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove it :wink: </font color=red>

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
*with a devilish grin* sounds like time to experiment with my old PSU!!

<font color=blue>Just be </font color=blue><font color=red><b>ABU</b></font color=red> - <b><font color=red>A</b></font color=red><font color=blue>lways</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>B</b></font color=red><font color=blue>e</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>U</b></font color=red><font color=blue>seful<b>!</b></font color=blue>