How best to cool R9800 VPU's?

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I purchased a PowerColor 9800non-pro (NP) and had several weird issues trying to get the card running.

1.0 It wouldn't let my system run with the year old 2610Mhz (145MHz FSB) setting its always used. I had to set EVERYTHING to defaults. No 145Mhz FSB, no 37.5MHz / 75MHz PCI/AGP settings, nothing but stock.

2.0 No matter what I did, it wouldn't run with the BIOS AGP aperture set above 64meg. At 128meg it would lock-up in about five to no more than 10 minutes. Set to 64meg, it would run double that before locking-up. I have 512RAM, so a 256 setting would be suggested if you believe your AGP aperture should be one-half system memory. I've seen data that says more than 128meg usually slows a lot of things down, so I use 128meg.

3.0 It wouldn't run 3D mark 2001SE in a loop test for the "normal" four hour burn in all my other cards have passed (TNT, TNT2, Gforce2pro, Ti 4200)with generation typical test loops (all but the TNT use 2001SE 3dmark).

4.0 The VPU seemed to get REALLY hot. PowerColor claims this is "warm". Well, marketing says warm, I say hot.

The 3Dmarks were 13650 +/- 200 as compared to a friends Ti4800 (NOT the SE model, but the Ti4600 8X version) in an identical system tested to 12500. So, the 9800np seems to run about where I'd expect with on a 2.4P4 un-overclocked Intel 845PE chipset ASUS P4PE motherboard.

To avoid more problems (well, see about that) I was told by gameVe.com to return the card since they claim my results are atypical to this card /motherboard. I exchanged the card last week for a Sapphire 9800pro (no non-pro card was available from Sapphire) to change brands, and general bin level of the memory and VPU.

To take no chances, and to just fool around, I ordered a Zalman ZM80C-HP heat sink and ZM-OP1 Fan from newegg.com. This seemed to be a nicer set-up than the Thermaltake GIANT II which seems to have some compatibility issues with certain cards. I know the Zalman will mount to the 9800pro.

Question, what do you think I got into with the PowerColor card and what have you people done to cool these things? I tend to not like the idea of just blasting a lot of air verses using a good heat sink to do most of the work. Heck, I pulled OUT my AVC Sunflower CPU cooler because I was sick of hearing it. The stock Intel cooler gets to 55C full bore in games, and the Sunflower was 53C. 2C wasn't worth the noise. I've looked high and low for a good a VPU cooler and found just these two the Zalman is the only one that that seem to use a sink and QUIET (25dBA) fan verses blasting air, to cool the VPU.

Does anyone but me think that the R9800 gets past what I call warm? The PowerColor heatsink would almost burn the side of your finger if you tried to leave it against the cooler for more than 15 seconds. This is at least 150F (~45C) on the sink itself to feel that hot to the touch.

I have no good way to even tell if the Zalman cooler works better than stock except oveclocking, something I don't usually do. The Sapphire seems to be a stable overclocker, though.

Yes, I know. I've spent $375.00 on a 9800pro and another $50.00 on a cooler + silent fan. I'm glad this is a hobby and you don't have to do it!

Willamette_Sucks - No, I'm NOT A SPOILED COLLEGE STUDENT wasting money. I'm an electrical engineer with 20 years experience with no wife or kids, and my house is paid for so I can spend all my supposed kid(s) college on computer parts not to mention all the honeydew project costs I've avoided over the years!

There is a restauraunt,Ed Debevics I think its called, that insults you on purpose that is kind'a humorous. If you practice a little, you could be a great part of this community so long as people understand your "stick" per say. Give it a shot with my post, OK?

Regards,
rower30@earthlink.net

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmm. odd list of bugs you have stated there...
I too have a powercolor card,
mine is a R9700pro.

The wierd bug i have is that it wont run 3d games in resolutions below 1280x960.
at 1280x960 things with run fine for 8 hours at a time, even overclocked with AA and ansio on full.

below 1280x960, it will freeze withhin minutes. and nothing will fix it, up to and including a completle windows format, bios twiddling.

as it works in high resolutions i havnt returned it... yet.
but i guess ill have to at some point.

the issue with cooling the GPU on the R9700/9800 cards is that the surrounding shim is higher than the surface of the GPU core, and the gap is filled with thick thermal goop. lack of goop can lead to serious heat problems.

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>