Power On test with MB P4PE

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
When I pug in the power cord into my power supply to start up my P4PE MotherBoard,it turns on and run for about 5 seconds and shuts down.
Then I push the power button and it come on normualy and runs fine.Is this a glitch for these Motherboards ??.I took the MB out of the case and ran it with just the video card for a test and when I plug the power cord into the power supply the same thing happen,it started the fan on the cpu and green light came on with out haven to hit the power switch or jump it with a screw driver on the power pins.And on top of this it run at a high 41 C at idle.I no the cpu is good (2.4-B-ver) because I ran it fine with my 533-C and the temp ran at 31 C.
Maybe my Motherboard has a voltage regulator problem!!,whats your thinking on this problem.

Asus helps is as good as ever on there information.They make a great Mboards and great RMA support,but lack answering a problem question through Techsupport.Any idears you may have will be appreciated.Thx,s in advance.
BTW if you get confused at this post I will understand I,m no grammer king

TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
there is nothing wrong with 41c...

Second i am pretty sure that this is not a board problem...sounds like psu to me

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

traviss187

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2003
also in bios theres an option for I think a self power on test, so if your board is being supplied with power it will do a diognostic power up and then wait for you to boot it.
if it bugs you try messing with the bios options

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Thx,s for infor on the booting problem.I have been messing around with the MB trying to figure out why it runs between 41C and 55 C bugs hell out of me lol(all my other MB 533fsb and a 800fsb idle)run at 30C with out a load on cpu,I found that the Intel chipset heatsink was cocked to one side and the heatsink pad they use was only on one side of the chipset.It has a shim around the heatsink to keep it from putting to much presure on the chip I assume.I guess what I,m getting at would the my CPU at a hight temp if the Intel chipset wasn't cooled good enough??.

traviss187

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2003
I've got the asus P4PE too, and my 2.8ghz intel runs at the same temps, 41c idle to 55 loaded (running F@H), it's weird that you get different temps on different mb's, did you apply a thermal compound when you reinstalled the chip and heat sink

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
If I read your post correct we both getting the same (41 to 55 average) Temps!!!.And yes I put artic silver III thermal compound on both my CPU and Intel chipset heatsink but didn't change the temps not one bit.Hell my 3 ghz runs at 30C or 86F.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's normal for a computer to power up a few seconds and then shut down when you first plug it in. And 41C is a normal idle temperature. So quit worrying.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
lol...i said that 5 posts ago and he is still worrying...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Traviss my Vcore is 15.5.I agree that 41c is normal in most cases,but what I,m saying,I,m not use to that high of a score temp.I have two other systems 3.0 and a 2.4 and they are at 30C on the same type with to diff MB.I just think thant that the P4PE has a problem getting the correct temp from the CPU core sensor.
PS:pIII MAN
I agree with you 100%,some people like myself is a pain in the butt,I hate it when I can't leave cr@p like this alone.Like I said above it bugs me like a barking dog lol.So I just might solve my problem by just given it to the SPCA.Guess i,m like sherkock Homes I haft to get to the bottom of things to see what the root cause of the problem.

TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sharkmeat on 07/30/03 00:03 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
may i propose a theory....i beleive the reason your cpu is running hotter is because at a higher fsb everything on the mobo and the memory runs hotter...thus higher case temperatures...these exponentially effect cpu temperature bucause the ablity for a cpu fan to cool a cpu relies directly uppon the deltaT (temp diffrence) between the cpu and ambient temperature....

Feel better?

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

traviss187

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2003
yeah, I just wonder because my asus probe also reads my vcore wierd, it will vary from 1.50 to 1.632, in a period of 1 minute. it doesn't really concern me because everything runs fine but it is kinda wierd.
I don't think it's the psu, enermax 380watt

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
asus mobos are known to overvolt...consistantly they all just overvolt...probably something with asus trying to make their mobos seem more stable...or possibly seem to overclock better...

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
PIII MAN your theory would hold water if I had diff,cases and the only one not running at the same fsb is the 3 ghz and it idles at 30C the other two the #2 P4PE 533fsb DDR 41C and the 3rd one is a P4T533-c 30C running rambus 1066 and it is at 30C same power supplys same cases,all have one (1)120 MM fans for exhaust + the power supply has 2 fan sucking air and two (2) 92 MM fans in the front pulling air.My ambient temp is around 73F my wife love a cold house.I come to the conclusion that both the P4PE MB,s that we both have here in the post have the same readings and it my view a signature of the this MB.But thx for your input and look forward to the next post we may meet in,But I hope it,s not me with the questions or problem :).and again thx.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i was just trying to make you feel better...fact of the matter is it could be many things

your 3.06 ghz cpu was from the center of the manufacturing wafer
intel has changed the supplier of thermal compound they use under the intigrated heat spreader
1 board could be overvolting more than the other
one chipset produces more heat than the other
the temperature probs are not correctly calibrated
i could go on and on...i am sure you will sleep beter tonight when i tell you....i have a pIII running 2.05v vcore (1.65 is stock) and a 26% overclock and it runs less than 30c full load on air cooling :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Asus Probe is notoriously inaccurate, by as much as 10C. Now, I've never actually seen a processor at 30C in operation, so...probably all your readings on all your boards are a bit off.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i have three diffrent boards that show this reading...so i think it is pretty accurate...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
exactly...and the bios can be wrong....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, Asus boards rarely report the same temps in Probe as in BIOS. Motherboard Monitor 5 reads it directly from the sensors and is considered the most likely to be accurate.

svol

Champion
Yeah Asus (anal) Probe sucks... it is know to display lower/higher temps then the real ones for years.

MBM 5 is much more reliable.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: