Services hung up as "starting"

bankaud

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hello,

Starting about 10/22/10, my Windows 7 system has had problems. I booted up as a standard user and received a pop-up message "Failed to connect to a windows service - Windows could not connect to the Systems Event Notification Service service." During troubleshooting, I find that this SENS service, the DHCP Client, and/or the TCP/IP service is hung in "starting" status. I have tried to run "netsh winsock reset" as an administrator from the CMD prompt with no success. I have also tried to run sfc /scannow (the Microsoft System File Checker) with no integrity errors found. One recorse is a complete reinstall of Windows 7 but I hope that there is a simpler solution.

Tom Kamkari

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
If it came down to it, I would do a repair instead of reinstall, that should set everything back but keep your files and settings.

Now lets go with the error that windows is giving us, your error is even notification svs is not reachable.

so in your services, is event notification service, both set to auto start and is running right now?

bankaud

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

The error message is Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."

Sounds easy but since the SENS is not started, there is no System Event Log to review.

"SENS is hung up as "starting". I have booted from the Windows 7 update DVD and from my Windows 7 Repair DVD - both brought me to a recover menu with 5 options. None of those options actually helped me - I tried them all.

bankaud

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
One of my sons who has a BS in Computer Engineering came to my rescue. He copied the registry entries for Winsock and WInsock2 from a similar install of Win 7. We then merged them into my registry and that solved most of my problems. Finally we changed the logon for two services, DHCP and TCP/IP, and that got everything working again.

Thanks for your input. Bill