Ekj530

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
My computer will not do a restart. If I try and restart, it will go through the shutdown process, save settings (which it accomplishes) and then I lose video signal and it just sits there, fans running and will never reboot. I have to kill the power to the power supply and then do a cold boot.

It has been this way for a long time and it is really annoying. It is not OS dependent. It does it with Win98, W2K, and XP. I have formatted, zero filled--I do not think it is the HDD. I have updated the BIOS--still it does the same thing every time. I do not believe that it is driver related because it will not reboot if I go into BIOS during boot up and change a setting.

So, does anyone have any idea as to what it might be? This is my system specs:

Enermax 431W EG465P-VE
AMD XP2100/ Zalman CNPS 3100 + HSF
MS 6380 K7T 266 Pro R
764 PC 2100 DDR (1 512 SpecTek + 256 Samsung)
2 Qty. 40GB Maxtor 7200 ATA133 (Onboard Promise Fastrak 100 RAID controller RAID 0 striped)
1.44 Imatation Floppy
nVIDIA GeForce2 GTS (MSI StarForce 815)
52x Creative CDROM
52x24x52 Samsung CDRW
Phillips Seismic Edge PS704 Sound
D-Link RTL8139(A/B/C)-based Fast Ethernet Adapter PC

The only thing that has not either been changed or removed at one time or another is the mobo and ethernet adapter. Everything else (including CPU) has been changed or removed and the problem persist. It does this even during OS install so I know it is not software related. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

ComputerBob

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
If you haven't already done this, try going into the BIOS settings and disabling anything you don't use -- SATA ports, serial ports, onboard LAN, onboard sound, parallel port, etc. Also, try disabling all of the BIOS's power management choices.

If that solves your problem, then you can re-enable things one-at-a-time, to see which one seems to cause the problem.

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic
<A HREF="http://www.computerbob.com" target="_new">http://www.computerbob.com</A>