Battlefield 3 build help please

SlipOSkull

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hi guys just wondering if you could help me. So just recently I've just got the hankering to go back to pc gaming after about 4 years of playing 360. Used to play the old school games like Wolfenstein and Doom. Anyways, I want to play pc just because there is so much more you can do on a pc than a stupid console. I'm self taught as far as computers goes and I occasionally take apart and fix laptops to sell for some extra cash. I still don't know the specifics about desktop computers because laptops just don't have those types of "intricacies" such as graphics cards.
So the basic build I was looking for was based off of playing bf3 on ultra as cheap as possible and not necessarily future proof.

CPU: Intel core i3-2120 3.3GHz
MOBO: MSI Z68A-G43
RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800
Graphics: XFX HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB DDR5
HDD: Hitachi deskstar e7k500 7200RPM
Power: OCZ Technology OCZ-ZT750W ATX12V & EPS12V (750W)
Case: suggestions?
Also, will I need an aftermarket cooling system? Any suggestions?

I don't have the absolute need to buy a system right away I will most likely wait a month in order to really save up some money. From your experiences would it be better to buy now, before Christmas, or after?

Thanks guys really appreciate it.

Solution
Well here is the thing you are using a dual core processor. And with current games that are coming out they are becoming more increasing optimized for quad core systems. I'm just thinking of a upgrade path with your processor as your GPU is fine for now. You could upgrade to a ivy bridge CPU like the 3570k which is a quad core processor but in order to do so I would check the cpu support list which may need you to update your motherboard via bios update.
Well you just really have to look at the wattage and the 12 rail amps really how much power can be dished to the video cards normally they will tell you a total amount of watts that can be directed that way. You can have a overkill in the wattage department that won't hurt you. Typically with modern cards anything beyond a 750w is unnecessary unless you are powering a 690 or 7990

Well here is the thing you are using a dual core processor. And with current games that are coming out they are becoming more increasing optimized for quad core systems. I'm just thinking of a upgrade path with your processor as your GPU is fine for now. You could upgrade to a ivy bridge CPU like the 3570k which is a quad core processor but in order to do so I would check the cpu support list which may need you to update your motherboard via bios update.

Solution
Okay. You should be more clear when you're expressing yourself. I though you meant getting any ivy bridge i5 and unlocking it to be overclockable.

Anyway, @OP: that build is 1.5 year old. There are much better and faster parts today that cost the same. What's your budget like and where are you from? I'll make you a build if you tell me those things ;).

SlipOSkull

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012

I'm from the US and I'm thinking around $600 = 369.30 pounds. I can get save up some more but I'll have to wait several more months. That's ok though. Also, back to one of the original questions for parts should I buy the expensive ones now before christmas or after?

Okay. I suppose you already have an operating system? I really doubt you can build a PC for $600 to max out Battlefield 3. $750 would be the minimum today.

As for buying computer parts later: as time passes, computer hardware prices drop. If, for example, $700 computer cannot max battlefield 3 today, in 2 months it probably will be.

SlipOSkull

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012

Hmmmm...ok I think I can do $700. Besides by the time I get the money it'll be cheaper :)

SlipOSkull

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012

Yeah I've heard that to. Just as a general question, is there a website where I can learn about these types of things (graphic cards, Cpu specs) where they teach this stuff to people with my level of experience?

Well I'll share the general rule of thumb as best I can.

Nvidia: The second number says a lot
5 entry level gaming, 6 mid level gaming, 7/8/9 high to enthusiast

AMD:
7 entry level gaming, 8 mainstream, 9 high end.

CPU's are a little harder although toms does a good breakdown of cpu's for the money in there monthly articles. I find its more about reading around and keeping on top of whats released.

SlipOSkull

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Ok sorry guys for keeping this thread so long but I think I found a build that is pretty good and under $700

CPU: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($178.26 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31 (G3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($49.54 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Apex PC-389-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($23.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($26.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $641.71

I'm not going to use the optical drive because I have an external, but is there an acceptable replacement for the mobo? I'd like the same thing but I would like a usb 3.0. If not then it's ok

No don't worry about thread length the forums are here for help. If you are willing to get near to 700 spend more on the power supply its a builders series power supply you can do better. The corsair power supplies are always talked highly of but mainly there tx,hx, and AX series you can do more with your hardware dude.

Take a look at this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&Tpk=xfx%20550

Yes that would be compatible. Here is a link to the cpu support list
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H77M/?cat=CPU

You will find that the processor you are looking to buy is compatible with the motherboard. Also keep in mind that given the price of the i5 2300 if you can still find it it would be better for you to try and find something that maybe has the ability to overclock if you wanted it to so perhaps a 2500k or 3570k if you aren't looking to overclock you will be fine either way. keep in mind that the highest multiplier on a on a h77 board you can achieve is 3.9 ghz anything beyond that and you would want a z series motherboard.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

Also, you can only overclock Ivy Bridge CPUs with an H77 motherboard from what I know. That means no 2500K.

You really want nothing less than GTX 660 Ti for maxing out Battlefield 3. Also, you might as well go for Ivy Bridge CPUs - they are faster and they cause the same as sandy bridge CPUs.

As for learning about computer parts - do research: read forums, reviews, benchmarks.

Well here is the thing he is dealing with a budget.
1. Z77 boards are a bit on the pricey end now in comparison to the z68 boards which you can find on the cheap.
2. Even if he got a ivy bridge cpu there is a good chance it wouldn't be compatible and that would result on him going with a b75 or h77 board which in either cause would be large trade offs.
3. A 7850 as well will be more then enough to handle BF3 at acceptable levels maybe not ultra but certainly high. And given his budget if there was a 660ti in that range it would be a decent upgrade from the 7850.

I also think by building a computer on your own you will learn the basic framework for what goes into it as a whole. Yes review sites will tell you the best latest and greatest this and that but it won't teach you much other than what is out there.