Windows 7 Starter on a IBM X40

rnathbatra

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of buying a IBM Thinkpad X40 which has a 1.5 Ghz processor with a 2MB Cache and 1 GB RAM. I will mostly use it for accessing the internet, writing entries on my blog and a little bit of watching movies. I wanted your opinion whether I would be able to run Windows 7 Starter on this machine properly without any issues. Also the movies i would be watching will be normal quality encoded in DivX. Would they stutter?

Solution
^ Ahh... I see. If you can get a 2GB RAM XP will run very well on that system. RAM is probably your main limitation in that netbook(?). I would not run Win 7 on it imo esp. with only 1GB RAM. Sure, you can run it, but it will be quite slow.

Note: Make sure you can go up to 2GB, or else get the Max RAM that it can support.

rnathbatra

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
@ The Prophecy

Hmm...I have heard that the particular model supports only upto a max of 1.5 GB of RAM. Would that do?

@das_stig

I need to be using Windows Live Writer for the blog posts so Linux would not be appropriate. But XP is a good option, although it is a bit obsolete. Original XP installlation is already installed on the machine.

@ Shadhow

I am from Pakistan. My budget is around 200 dollars. I am basically looking for a netbook type thing but with 12 inch screen. This one I am getting is for Rs. 16,000 which translates to roughly $186 dollars. It has the following specs:

IBM ThinkPad X40

Ultra-Portable Pentium M (Centrino) 1.5GHz - L2 cache 2MB

with Intel Speed Step Technology

1GB RAM -

60 GB HDD

-LAN- Modem

-Win XP ORIGINAL WITH KEY(COA)

-12.1” LCD

Slot supports 16-bit PCMCIA 32-bitCardBus,-(2)USB, IR, VGA, S.D

I am mainly interested in this because of the battery life, the person from whom i am buying this says it has a battery life of around 3 hours, which would be perfect for me and its also very light and thin and can be carried around very easily. Am i getting a good deal?

^ Ahh... I see. If you can get a 2GB RAM XP will run very well on that system. RAM is probably your main limitation in that netbook(?). I would not run Win 7 on it imo esp. with only 1GB RAM. Sure, you can run it, but it will be quite slow.

Note: Make sure you can go up to 2GB, or else get the Max RAM that it can support.

Solution