Sign in with
Your question

Windows update failing while trying to install wddm 1.1, wddm 1.2

Last response: in Windows 8
November 3, 2012 12:23:21 AM

Hi all,

I have the following important update on windows update:

nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

I download and try to install it but it keeps on failing. The error code given is 80070103. Any ideas on why this is failing and how to get this succesfully installed?
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2012 12:28:49 AM

download and install manually from vidia's website
November 3, 2012 12:46:56 AM

This is not an nvidia driver. I already have the 306.97 driver from nvidis installed. This is a driver from microsoft.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a c 103 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b * Windows 8
November 3, 2012 1:00:56 AM

Maintainin said:
Hi all,

I have the following important update on windows update:

nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

I download and try to install it but it keeps on failing. The error code given is 80070103. Any ideas on why this is failing and how to get this succesfully installed?

Those are NVidia driver updates made available through Windows Update. If you have installed the latest NVidia drivers then they are most likely newer than the ones available on Windows Update and this can cause an error.

Updating drivers through Windows Update is usually not recommended. If you know that your device drivers are up to date you can safely hide that update.
a b \ Driver
a c 103 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b * Windows 8
November 3, 2012 1:15:36 AM

Maintainin said:
They are not nvidia drivers. I already have the latest nvidia driver installed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Mod...

They are NVidia drivers, trust me. WDDM is simply the kernel API that the drivers are built against. Drivers may run in the kernel or in userspace depending on what device they are for. Drivers that run in userland may be used across multiple operating system versions without much issue. Video drivers are run in the kernel and must be designed for the particular kernel APIs that are made available.

WDDM 1.0 = Vista

WDDM 1.1 = Windows 7

WDDM 1.2 = Windows 8

The driver models for Windows XP is structurally different than the driver models for Vista and beyond. Thus, manufacturers typically have at least two separate driver packages, one for Windows NT/2000/XP and another for Windows Vista/7/8.

Driver APIs are kept static for major revisions, this ensures that a driver which runs on an OS on release day will run on that same OS when it reaches end of life. Sometimes new APIs are made available via service packs.
November 3, 2012 3:32:44 AM

OK, thanks for clarifying. I was thinking it was pretty important since I already had nivdia driver installed and figured it was something needed to be added on the windows side. I will go ahead and hide it in updates. Appreciate it!
December 1, 2012 5:19:13 AM

Maintainin said:
OK, thanks for clarifying. I was thinking it was pretty important since I already had nivdia driver installed and figured it was something needed to be added on the windows side. I will go ahead and hide it in updates. Appreciate it!

One interesting thing, in Vista Ultimate, this update is listed under "important updates" and is 171MB.

I have never seen a driver listed under this category before. I have not installed it; my system is running perfectly fine
using Nvidia driver 301.42 .

Has anything further come to light about this update? It would be nice to have some more info,
at least to explain why this is an "important update".
!