Anti-Virus + firewall users - What is your memory impact?

I currently use Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus (both are
the 2003 versions) under Windows XP Pro SP-1 on my home computer. They
are pigs for memory. Task Manager currently shows (I only booted about
10 minutes ago) the following memory usage:

ccApp.exe = 14,356 KB
ccEvtMgr.exe = 3,980 KB
ccPxySvc.exe = 118,944 KB
Navapsvc.exe = 996 KB
NISum.exe = 5,800 KB

That's a whopping 144 MB. The SymEvent service uses svchost.exe and
there always multiple instances of this process so I cannot tell which
one has SymEvent rolled into it, so the actually memory consumption is 2
to 17 MB more than 144 MB.

For users of OTHER products (i.e., not Symantec) that have BOTH an
anti-virus and firewall running, what is the impact on your memory usage
for those products (and please name your products)?

Thanks.

*** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
More about anti virus firewall users memory impact

    In article <vhItc.265$3x.145@attbi_s54>, no-email@reply-to-
    newsgroup.invalid says...
    > I currently use Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus (both are
    > the 2003 versions) under Windows XP Pro SP-1 on my home computer. They
    > are pigs for memory. Task Manager currently shows (I only booted about
    > 10 minutes ago) the following memory usage:
    >
    > ccApp.exe = 14,356 KB
    > ccEvtMgr.exe = 3,980 KB
    > ccPxySvc.exe = 118,944 KB
    > Navapsvc.exe = 996 KB
    > NISum.exe = 5,800 KB

    Something looks wrong there with that ccPxySvc.exe..

    > For users of OTHER products (i.e., not Symantec) that have BOTH an
    > anti-virus and firewall running, what is the impact on your memory usage
    > for those products (and please name your products)?

    I use Sygate 5.5 and Avast AV. Right now, they're using:

    Sygate = 11,420 KB
    Avast = approx 14 megs total.

    I used to use NAV, but it stopped working after I uninstalled and
    reinstalled it several times. The updates reverted to some crazy date
    like Aug 2003 and I still have several months left on my subscription.
    Beats me what happened there, but I got fed up with Symantec and
    installed Avast instead, which seems to work very well, and it's free as
    well. Doesn't use any CPU resources to speak of.

    I'm also very happy now with Sygate.

    --
    Kerodo

    *Vanguard* wrote:
    > I currently use Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus (both are
    > the 2003 versions) under Windows XP Pro SP-1 on my home computer. They
    > are pigs for memory. Task Manager currently shows (I only booted about
    > 10 minutes ago) the following memory usage:
    >
    > ccApp.exe = 14,356 KB
    > ccEvtMgr.exe = 3,980 KB
    > ccPxySvc.exe = 118,944 KB
    > Navapsvc.exe = 996 KB
    > NISum.exe = 5,800 KB
    >
    > That's a whopping 144 MB. The SymEvent service uses svchost.exe and
    > there always multiple instances of this process so I cannot tell which
    > one has SymEvent rolled into it, so the actually memory consumption is 2
    > to 17 MB more than 144 MB.
    >
    > For users of OTHER products (i.e., not Symantec) that have BOTH an
    > anti-virus and firewall running, what is the impact on your memory usage
    > for those products (and please name your products)?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Kerio Winroute 2.1.4 uses 12mb; although, I dont use that anymore, I spent £35 on a small form
    factor Pentium 2 which is now my iptables firewall for the network, running debian.

    F-Prot AntiVirus uses 2mb; and has fast heuristic scanning of executables, fastest ive used so far
    for on-the-fly scanning of run programs. Only thing F-Prot lacks is features, but being simplistic
    is good, as you can see NAV has lots of features, many of which I would never uses and has a massive
    memory/processor footprint.

    So altogethor, 14mb when using software applications.

    www.kerio.com
    www.f-prot.com

    Stalks
    --
    May the ping be with you ....

    Registered Linux user number: 355729

    "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message

    ccPxySvc.exe = 118,944 KB

    what on earth is that?

    Spacen Jasset said in news:c97r5p$4lj$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:
    > "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    > ccPxySvc.exe = 118,944 KB
    >
    > what on earth is that?

    That's Symantec transparent proxy. Remember when, for example, Norton
    Antivirus used to change the e-mail account settings to insert its
    proxy? It modified the e-mail client's account so the server specified
    pointed at its proxy and added the original target mail server to the
    username field (which is how, for example, SpamPal, YahooPOPs, and other
    non-transparent proxies still work). Symantec now uses ccApp (Common
    Client Application) and the ccPxySvc (Common Client Proxy Service) to
    channel all their protected data streams. It is also a common point of
    failure. If ccApp, for example, because partially brain dead then you
    lose web surfing but can continue using e-mail, or visa versa, and if it
    goes completely dead then you lose all connections. I came up with a
    batch file to kill ccApp and stop and restart the Symantec services and
    sometimes it will get the dead product working again but not always and
    so sometimes I still have to reboot to get them to load in the correct
    order. This isn't an isolated problem to just one computer or one user.
    Most users only know that something went wrong with their networking and
    do a reboot to get it working again. ccPxySvc is used by both NIS and
    NAV. NAV even adds a BHO (browser helper object) to monitor data
    streams through IE, so that also adds to the memory footprint when you
    are browsing.

    Although using a transparent proxy makes its use easy for customers and
    ensure that their data passes through it. It also makes it impossible
    to configure your clients to bypass the protection and disabling it
    doesn't always get it out of the way enough to eliminate it completely
    from interferring with the traffic (if ccApp goes dead then disabling
    NIS does nothing to rectify the problem; you might open the valve all
    the way but the water still has to go through that valve, and if it is
    blocked then you won't get much water no matter how open is the valve).

    If you look at your NT services (run services.msc), you'll find the
    following are listed for NIS and NAV:

    Norton Antivirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc.exe)
    Norton Internet Security Accounts Manager (nisum.exe)
    ScriptBlocking Service (sbserv.exe)
    Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr.exe)
    Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDsrvc.exe)
    Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc.exe)
    Symantec Proxy Service (ccPxySvc.exe)

    Not all of these remain running but several will load on Windows
    startup. For example, on Windows startup and before you login, one of
    them will run to validate the hashing of the registry keys (they aren't
    in plain text anymore) to check if something has attempted to tamper
    with their definitions to disable the product.

    So, what firewall and anti-virus products do you run? And what is the
    memory impact for those programs?

    *** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:46:51 GMT, "*Vanguard*"
    <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote:

    >I currently use Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus (both are
    >the 2003 versions) under Windows XP Pro SP-1 on my home computer. They
    >are pigs for memory. Task Manager currently shows (I only booted about
    >10 minutes ago) the following memory usage:
    >
    > ccApp.exe = 14,356 KB
    > ccEvtMgr.exe = 3,980 KB
    > ccPxySvc.exe = 118,944 KB
    > Navapsvc.exe = 996 KB
    > NISum.exe = 5,800 KB
    >
    >That's a whopping 144 MB. The SymEvent service uses svchost.exe and
    >there always multiple instances of this process so I cannot tell which
    >one has SymEvent rolled into it, so the actually memory consumption is 2
    >to 17 MB more than 144 MB.
    >
    >For users of OTHER products (i.e., not Symantec) that have BOTH an
    >anti-virus and firewall running, what is the impact on your memory usage
    >for those products (and please name your products)?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0.15 A
    Persfw.exe - 1.7 MB

    Etrust EZ Antivirus 6.1.4.0
    Vettray.exe - 751.8 KB
    Vetmsg9x.exe - 103.9 KB

    Manuel

    "*Vanguard*" <no-email@reply-to-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in news:vhItc.265
    $3x.145@attbi_s54:

    <Snipola>
    > For users of OTHER products (i.e., not Symantec) that have BOTH an
    > anti-virus and firewall running, what is the impact on your memory usage
    > for those products (and please name your products)?

    Kerio Personal Firewall v4 - Less than 16 megs
    Norton AV 2002 - Less than 11 megs
    I have several svchosts, totalling less than 18 megs, but they may not
    have anything to do with either program though.

    Brian
    --
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Firewalls Antivirus Memory Networking