Sign in with
Your question

Game continuously minimizes/locks up

Last response: in Video Games
December 20, 2012 1:49:24 AM

Hey guys. Sooo, here's my problem. Recently put together my first gaming rig (pretty straightforward) and even more recently finally bought a GPU (MSI GTX 660 Ti PE). The GPU came with AC3 , so I was stoked when I finally got it running. Now I'm running into trouble actually running it.

I'm having an issue where I can be in-game for as little as 5 minutes and as long as 45, before my screen freezes for about 2 seconds, the game minimizes, and I have zero control of my cursor, so I'm always forced to open the task manager to shut down the game. I also can here the game's audio continue for about 5-10 minutes before it cuts out if I choose to not close out of the game.

I'm at a loss. I've searched for many, many hours on the web attempting to find a solution, but I still can't get it figured out. I've updated ALL of my drivers, my BIOS, EVERYTHING. I've also played a lot with the in-game settings, re-installed the game, and even reinstalled Windows! It's incredibly frustrating because I want so bad just to enjoy the game, but I not find myself starting to avoid it because of how pissed I get when it decides to go bananas on me. Hopefully someone here has had a similar issue and was able to fix it, or maybe someone can just point me in the right direction.

Here are my system specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Asrock Z77 Extreme4 mobo
Intel Core i5-3570k Ivy Bridge cpu
MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition OC gpu
Corsair Vengeance 8gb 2x4gb ram
Kingston HyperX 3K 120gb SSD (primary) (game is installed on here)
WD Black 1TB 7200rpm HDD (secondary)
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W PS

Let me know of any more information you may need from me and thanks in advance for any/all responses. (apologies if this is a recurring topic, I looked around and didn't see any that were recent)
December 20, 2012 5:42:59 PM

Update: Can't even run the game for more than 5 minutes without it doing what I mentioned above now. My GPU temps seems to be very normal, so I can't imagine that it's because of overheating.

Wanted to also add that this doesn't happen with Borderlands 2. Neither game has any FPS slowdowns. Especially weird that AC3 doesn't have any sort of slowdown before crashing or whatever it's doing.
m
l
December 20, 2012 6:02:12 PM

Ok since this is a new build, let's check the wiring first.

Could you open up your PC and verify that all connectors are connected firmly and list all of the connected power connectors from the power supply unit to somewhere?
m
l
Related resources
December 20, 2012 8:29:26 PM

Ok, so this is what I was able to see. Made sure I had everything in there well-connected.

2 PCI-E cords from PSU into my GPU

The big one from PSU to Mobo

A single (not sure of the name) that has multiple outlets that connect my diskdrive, SSD, and HDD in that order from top to bottom

Finally I have the the smaller one that connects my PSU to the CPU.

Hopefully I'm not forgetting to list anything. I have a couple cords just floatin' around in the case that I tied up and put in the little area for extra cords that my case has.
m
l
December 20, 2012 8:38:13 PM

Looks good.

Your CPU has an integrated graphics processing unit. Could you try taking out the GTX 660 Ti out of the motherboard, hook up the monitor to the motherboard and check whether you can reproduce the issue? Of course, the iGPU will not be able to run the game at full settings, so just reduce them until it's playable.
m
l
December 21, 2012 2:17:38 AM

go into bios and the ahci menu and look for hpet, high precision events timer or enhanced timing. make sure its either enabled, enabled and matches your o.s bitrate* . different bioses have different ways of enabling it or labeling it.

*o.s bit rate 64 for 64bit o.s 32 for 32bit o.s. but some boards just need it enabled. while otheres enable it by default if its there at all.

also check the cotrolpannel/admin tools/eventviewer/apps or system for red X markers or yellow ! markers along side the game or just b4 the game crashes.
m
l
December 21, 2012 4:20:16 AM

Alright, so I took out the GPU and just used the integrated graphics. After a solid hour of gameplay, the game did not crash.

I also checked the event viewer and did see an event in the log with a red ! immediately after the game crashed. Here's what it says:

The program AC3SP.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 1320
Start Time: 01cddf41b2e51f0e
Termination Time: 212
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Assassin's Creed III\AC3SP.exe
Report Id:

Hopefully you'll be able to get something out of that. (also, apologies for the giant lapses in replies, my work schedule is ridiculous at the moment)
m
l
December 21, 2012 10:57:51 AM

OK, if it does not happen on the integrated graphics, it makes me suspect the graphics card. Do you have another PC, or a friend/neighbor in whose PC you could try the card to see whether games crash with it?
m
l
December 21, 2012 12:17:51 PM

Unfortunately, I don't. =\ Is it at all possible that the slot I put the card in on my mobo is faulty (again, drawing a blank on the name)? Think it might be worth trying the one below it?
m
l
December 21, 2012 2:13:16 PM

Of course it's worth trying. I just doubt it's that. Where did you buy your graphics card? Online or?
m
l
December 21, 2012 8:26:31 PM

Bought it from Newegg. Although, today marks 30 days since ive bought it, so I'll probably have to go through Nvidia if I need to RMA it.
m
l
December 21, 2012 8:51:50 PM

Aw I see.

Further troubleshooting will be hard. I suggest trying one RAM stick at a time. Also, disconnect all devices that you don't need: DVD drive, secondary hard drive, etc.

Also, how did the test in another PCIe slot go?
m
l
Anonymous
January 7, 2013 12:18:11 AM

Hi!

I'm posting in this thread to say that it happens EXACTLY THE SAME on my computer... whereas mine ain't new by all counts... and everything was rock solid until yesterday: and I didn't change a single thing.

I've got a GTX460 SLI, so I think I should be able to swap the DVI cord to the other gpu to see if the problem keeps coming or not. At least now I know that its not game-related... and just hope that the mobo is done and not any of my GTX460.
m
l
!