North Bridge cooling suggestions on A7N8X D

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Hi,

I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.x it's currently running at 200 fsb rock stable (even while playing a game) but only with a little fan attached to the north bridge stock heat sink.

The fan was one I found in an old PC the fan has like 4 swivel plastic leg type things which I quite simply jam between the fins of the heatsink and stays put.

The only problem is that the fan is noisy because it's old, when the fan is switched it has a bit of play in the vertical axis of the fan probably causing the noise when it spins.

Is ther anyway I can service this fan without ruining it? If not, what suggestions for cooling the north bridge do you peeps have?

Thanks for your time.

-----------------------------------
Don't extract the urine.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sometimes you can peel the back label (the label with the specs) off of a fan and lubricate with a drop of machine oil. If you keep everything clean you can press the label back on. Otherwise, you can use some tape.

I find the oil trick is only temporary.

It's probably better to buy another fan. Don't know with nForce2 but usually northbridge fans are 40 mm but measure the heatsink to be sure.

Cooling is pretty limited with those little fans. Perhaps you want something more powerful.

The A7N8X northbridge fan is quite large. Something like a Zalman fan bracket might work (link below).

<A HREF="http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/fb123.htm" target="_new">http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/fb123.htm</A>

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 08/01/03 11:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Yep, oil seams to be only a temp fix - just replace it
There's a good selection of <A HREF="http://www.eagletechcomputers.com/40mmfans.html" target="_new">40mm fans</A> out there.

And there's also a good selection of replacement and active chipset(northbridge) solutions just ready to go... like
ThermalTake Crystal orb...
TT Blue orb...
Vantec Iceberg....
Most soultions mount and fit right into the existing push pin holes in the mobo.
All will fit right onto your A7n8x...

I've had problems with my Epox 8rda+ and hi system temps and have tried a couple - a <A HREF="http://www.case-mod.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=507" target="_new">Tt Blue orb at $6.65</A> works well... looks great too!
But a <A HREF="http://www.case-mod.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=211" target="_new">Zalman Passive chipset heatsink</A> with a 40mm fan on it actually reduces my system temp better than anything else i've tried... like from 42C+ right down to 29C (That's really good cooling!)... doesn't quite look as nice as the premade active coolers - but really cools well!

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
One adition to the above ,you can try clearning the sleeve bearing with some lighter fluid it will dry in a second,but be warned do it out side and away from flames or sparks,or you get Fired up,but just as they said above the fan is old and when the sleeve bearings gets a bad spot the fan is done for,the new oil will smooth it out afew days.But I think it is more trouble than it,s worth.:)I suggest going to the link above and get a new one or compusa if a store is close by.at compusa you might haft to buy a chipset kit to get the fan (sleeve bearing),but it,s faster than ordering it.I thank the chipset is around 9 bucks + tax.Radio shack has them also I suggest you get the bearing type which is for around 12 bucks I beleave.

TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Thanks for all ur tips and suggestions. I'm in the UK so I'll have to find a supplier here for the products u mentioned.

Anyway I took the sticker off and put some WD-40 (do you guys have that in USA?).

Seems to be a little quieter, but I know it's not for long.

Don't extract the urine.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Actually the stock northbridge heatsink on A7N8X is very good but the problem is the goo thingy and un-even bottom. Some lapping and AS3 will solve this problem.
For the fan, I use a Just Cooler 40mm fan with 5.95cfm@4800rpm and it works great.

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
OK so how did you take the heatsink off and how did you attach the fan?

Thanks.

Don't extract the urine.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
1. Take out your mobo from your case.
2. Look below your mobo, you should the plastic clippy insert of your northbridge heatsink, use a plier to un-clip them; be careful not to damage them if you don't have spares.
3. Use a hair dryer to blow on the heatsink until the stock goo is soften, if you feel unsecure, remove your CPU first; then use a flat head screw driver to pry the heatsink out, don't scratch your mobo/northbridge chip!
4. Use some glue remover or alcohol to remove the pink goo, but don't use oil based one.
5. Get some 800-1000 sand paper to lap the bottom of your heatsink. If you have guts you can also lap your northbridge surface.
6. Apply a thin layer of AS3 or your favourite thermal compound, reattach your heatsink.
7. Get a 40mm fan, I use Just Cooler 40mm fan with 5,95cfm@4800rpm. Get 4 screws for the 80mm case fan, and screw them on the bottom of your fan (please note that you want to blow air onto your hatsink), just screw them upto about 50-60%, so they don't fall out and still have the screw head exposed.
8. Bend the four corners of your heatsink a tiny little bit and insert your fan onto the heatsink. The aluminium fin should just hold the screw if your bending is good. Your fan should be stuck onto your heatsink and won't fall down.
9. Mount the mobo back into your case, plug in your fan (I plug my fan onto the case fan header to monitor the fan speed, plus a 40mm fan doesn't draw much power from mobo)
and power up your rig.
10. The end.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
That's great, I was wondering if you might reply or not. I just took your advice from your first replay that is that the stock heat sink is fine. I actually did most of the stuff u mentioned in your last post I lapped it and applied AS2 that's all I had, should do the job though.

Plugged it all back in, had a little drop of oil in my old 40mm fan, put that back on and it's all up and running now. So I hope that I can enjoy 200 MHz fsb now :)

One concern I had is that with the 1mm sticky pad removed from the heatsink, I got a feeling that when I put the push pins back in the heatsink wasn't as tight a fit as it originally was. It's making contact alright, it just would be nice if it go on REAL tight, but it may just be fine the way it is.

Thanks for all ur help people.

Don't extract the urine.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Well, good luck overclocking. I'm doing 214MHz rock stable now on my 2600+. And relax, unless your lapping had removed more than 5mm from the bottom, your heatsink will sit just fine on northbridge. A lot people have done this and their feedbacks are possitive only :)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
After lapping a northbridge heatsink I find the pushpins don't have much tension. It's not due to excessive sanding but because the nylon pushpins are deformed from the permanent compression. You can increase the tension by using nonconductive washers slipped over the pushpin, on top of heatsink not below the motherboard. I use one or two of the washers that come with motherboard standoffs for each pushpin.

DO NOT use too many washers or you'll be sorry!

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>