phones from ebay

Last response: in Network Providers
May 15, 2005 8:10:10 PM

do you think it's a good idea to buy a phone off ebay? not the used ones
but the ones with the buy it now and says there brand new

--
tran2000

More about : phones ebay

May 16, 2005 7:35:10 AM

I will add my two cents here.

I got into ebay over two years ago because I wanted to upgrade my
phone in the first six months of my contract. I kept an eye out for a
good bargain with people with good feedback.

So, I watched for a couple of weeks and started bidding. I got a phone
for a decent price (at the time) and Verizon even exchanged it when I
had a problem.

The key is a seller with good feedback because they are the ones that
are most likely to be honest. Mine had only a few hours of use and
came with several accessories.

People sell them used because they change plans or get them from a
company and change vendors. A legal used phone is no problem. I just
called 611 on the phone I just bought and they activated the phone
while I was on the phone. I just had to hang up and wait for a short
time and the phone was transferred.

Mostly, the new phones have a contract that you need to sign up for.
So, I would suggest checking out the used ones.

On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:10:10 -0500, tran2000
<tran2000.1p3dez@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>do you think it's a good idea to buy a phone off ebay? not the used ones
>but the ones with the buy it now and says there brand new
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 12:44:51 PM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:10:10 -0500, tran2000
<tran2000.1p3dez@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>do you think it's a good idea to buy a phone off ebay? not the used ones
>but the ones with the buy it now and says there brand new

Look at the feedback of the seller. Look at how he came across the
feedback - buying? Selling? Selling phones, or selling 'junk',

Look at his terms of the sale - does it say brand new, but then say
"As-is, no warranty, no returns?" Look at the shipping charges. Is it
a $300 phone for $200 but with $100 shipping?
June 7, 2005 8:56:23 PM

My nightmare from ebay....

Needed an upgrade as I had problems with a 7867w called CS and was told, a
new phone was $399 as I was in a contract and said, try ebay. The next week,
I won an auction for about $60 for a v60c at the time. Well, the phone
worked correctly and fine. I tested it with calling *611 and talking to
customer service. I was going to change out my phone but, the software
version was very old on the phone. So, I took in into a Verizon store, and
asked them to update the software, the tech checked out the phone and noted
that it was an old version of the software and updated it.

Well, after the update, the phone was dead, it would not turn on any more
and it was totaly dead. So, he opens the phone, and sees water damage
(nothing that I knew of) and that the phone was a insurance claim phone that
the customer should of turned in. So, insted of them doing something for me,
I was treated like a crook and told they would do nothing for me, and pretty
much kicked out of the store.

Filed a claim with BBB and after battling with CS managment (and they would
only give a $50 discount towards a new phone), so I went to the corporate
offices and went way up the chain, Finally got someone who I had to send the
phone into, and (after another battle, do have the e-mail chain still), he
finally sent me a referb one to replace it.

Point, I was told by CS to buy a phone on ebay, as they were going to charge
me almost $400 for a phone when mine was falling apart (plasic was breaking
off the 7868w), got a phone from their advice, needed them to update the
phone and they broke it. The phone worked fine before I let them touch
it....

--
-Dave

Dave "aT" AnyWhereCool DoT "com"
ICQ: 10640235 / AIM: DavidinRI
http://www.AnyWhereCool.com

"tran2000" <tran2000.1p3dez@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> do you think it's a good idea to buy a phone off ebay? not the used ones
> but the ones with the buy it now and says there brand new
>

> --
> tran2000

June 7, 2005 8:58:44 PM

Something wrote:
> My nightmare from ebay....
>
> Needed an upgrade as I had problems with a 7867w called
> CS and was told, a new phone was $399 as I was in a
> contract and said, try ebay. The next week, I won an
> auction for about $60 for a v60c at the time. Well, the
> phone worked correctly and fine. I tested it with calling
> *611 and talking to customer service. I was going to
> change out my phone but, the software version was very
> old on the phone. So, I took in into a Verizon store, and
> asked them to update the software, the tech checked out
> the phone and noted that it was an old version of the
> software and updated it.
>
> Well, after the update, the phone was dead, it would not
> turn on any more and it was totaly dead. So, he opens the
> phone, and sees water damage (nothing that I knew of) and
> that the phone was a insurance claim phone that the
> customer should of turned in. So, insted of them doing
> something for me, I was treated like a crook and told
> they would do nothing for me, and pretty much kicked out
> of the store.
>
> Filed a claim with BBB and after battling with CS
> managment (and they would only give a $50 discount
> towards a new phone), so I went to the corporate offices
> and went way up the chain, Finally got someone who I had
> to send the phone into, and (after another battle, do
> have the e-mail chain still), he finally sent me a referb
> one to replace it.
>
> Point, I was told by CS to buy a phone on ebay, as they
> were going to charge me almost $400 for a phone when mine
> was falling apart (plasic was breaking off the 7868w),
> got a phone from their advice, needed them to update the
> phone and they broke it. The phone worked fine before I
> let them touch it....

Take some responsibility for your actions.

The CSR told you what a phone would cost and then
*suggested* you might get one from eBay. Now you're
claiming they TOLD you to get one from eBay and that
they are responsible for anything that happened after that.
Yea, right...

You have VZW update the firmware on a phone you didn't
purchase from them and they oblige by doing so. It goes
dead and they find that the phone YOU bought used
somewhere else was subjected to water and refuse to
help further. You aren't very clear at this point. You
said "water damage", you implied insurance something
or other. Sounds like someone made an insurance claim
on that phone and didn't return it? And then sold it to you
on eBay? Guess what happens when you unknowingly
buy stolen goods and the cops come to recover them?
If they determine that you actually didn't know the goods
were stolen they won't throw you in jail but they will take
the stolen property and you get nothing.
Either way they didn't ruin your damaged phone. It was
damaged/unserviceable when you took it in there.

Grow up. You took a risk on eBay (and/or didn't do your
due diligence) to get a cheap phone and got screwed.
The seller screwed you, not VZW.

Now my costs go up because you want others to pay
for your risk taking.

-Quick
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:34:22 AM

In news:1118188543.44141@sj-nntpcache-5,
Quick <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> typed:
> [...]
| somewhere else was subjected to water and refuse to
| help further. You aren't very clear at this point. You
| said "water damage", you implied insurance something
| or other. Sounds like someone made an insurance claim
| on that phone and didn't return it? And then sold it to you
| on eBay? Guess what happens when you unknowingly
| buy stolen goods and the cops come to recover them?
| If they determine that you actually didn't know the goods
| were stolen they won't throw you in jail but they will take
| the stolen property and you get nothing.
| Either way they didn't ruin your damaged phone. It was
| damaged/unserviceable when you took it in there.
|
| Grow up. You took a risk on eBay (and/or didn't do your
| due diligence) to get a cheap phone and got screwed.
| The seller screwed you, not VZW.
|
| Now my costs go up because you want others to pay

Amen!

Just another post by someone who has shot himself in the foot and insists
that Verizon is to blame......

PC
!