R9800pro question

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, a question for you guys.
Which brand of R9800pro is arguably the highest performing? (i.e. best overclocking)

Only looking at the R9800pro 128Mb version mind.
the 256mb DDR2 runs too hot.

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Well the Powercolor card uses the 2.2ns memory, but it's either limited by voltage or the PCB design. The Powercolor card runs at higher default frequency. The Sapphire 9800pro can get the highest core overclock without voltage mod, but the memory could only go to 370 without ramsinks. I personally got mine Sapphire 9800pro up to pretty high. The cooling I used was copper ramsinks with Zalman Passive heatsinks with 3 80mm fans 1 on top, 1 on bottom, and 1 on the side, blowing air through the card. So I guess your best choice would be either PowerColor or Sapphire, I wouldn't recommend any other ones for overclocking.

I hate Computers! My Sapphire 9800pro core/mem speed won't go above 490/790. I really hate computers!

From what I've seen around, the Hercules are the unquestioned STOCK performers. They also use TOP quality parts. I tend to see Hercs up top for stock and then BBA, then Gigabyte, then Creative. Those are the standouts.

I'd specifically stay AWAY from PowerColor, usually their memory is inferior, and their cores sometimes even have issues (like the bottom of the BIN chain).

Take a look at <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDgz" target="_new">this [H] article</A> and see their experiences with P.C. Check the overclocking section in particular.

Sapphire's not bad, but still they have had the occasional memory issue (but I haven't heard any for the R9800 series, just the R9700 series).

The 2.2ns memory is ONLY found on the 256mb version almost ALL the R9800Pro-128 run the Samsung 2.86ns memory. Also stay away from any that have the 2.8ns Hynix modules. They seem to be just crap at overclocking.

Anywhoo, that's my two frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ok.
well ive decided im gonna get a sapphire R9800pro, and send away the R9700pro for RMA. When i get it back ill sell it and recoup most of my losses as it will be essentially a new untouched card.

<b>Regards,

Cool, and then you could save the 'sellings' and buy yourself an R420, then RMA the R9800P. :cool:

I think you've worked out a system for cheap upgrades. Awesome! :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
or i wait untill no more R9700pro's exist then rma it... and they have no choice but give me a better one! (It HAS happened with hard drives)

<b>Regards,

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
erm... i allways forget what RMA stands for;
return manufacterer somehting ugh i dunno LOL

basically faulty goods returned to the manufacturer.

<b>Regards,

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
sometimes its simple to stick with the acronyms even when u dont know what they stand for :smile:

<font color=blue>Just be </font color=blue><font color=red><b>ABU</b></font color=red> - <b><font color=red>A</b></font color=red><font color=blue>lways</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>B</b></font color=red><font color=blue>e</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>U</b></font color=red><font color=blue>seful<b>!</b></font color=blue>