Sign in with
Your question

Gaming pc but games lag offline?

Last response: in Video Games
December 21, 2012 9:07:31 AM

some one please help me?!?!

I am able to run any pc game on ultra settings with no trouble at all but this is my problem:
I get a contant rate of 60 frame rates but every 1 minute or 2 the frame rates drop to about 17-18 and the game lag really bad but there is no difference in visuals then after about 15 seconds the frame rates shoot back up to 60 again and the game is back to normal? Why is this happening ive tried everything possible to fix this for nearly 6 months now its sucks! Games i play are Far cry 3, dishonored, War Z, Black light retribution, Diablo 3, Assassins creed 3 etc..

specs are:
AMD FX 8120 8-core 3.1GHz cpu

ASRock 880GM-LE FX motherboard

8 gigs of hyper kingston ram

1TB seagate HDD

GTX 660 TI

Cooler master 700 power supply

And i have 4 fans in the system too

December 21, 2012 9:59:20 AM

Check the PCI power connectors that go into your graphics card, somtimes when a gpu doesnt get enough power it will slow down.
December 21, 2012 10:03:17 AM

Check what's running in the background while you game. Scheduled AV? Defrag?
Related resources
December 21, 2012 11:12:01 AM

This is a few things you can do. Reinstall the games, reinstall the drivers, reinstall windows, update bios. If that doesn't work, try to take apart all PC parts and wait like 10 minutes and take it in again, that should work.
December 21, 2012 2:25:23 PM

yeah the connectors are fine and there isnt any programs running in the back groundand ive just finally put the computer back together after taking it apart and waiting 10 minutes but it still has lag spikes in games????
December 21, 2012 2:45:57 PM

Download HWMonitor from here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Then, install and open it. Open the game that you lag in, wait for the lag to start. When it does, minimize the game, maximize HWMonitor window (it should be running from before you open the game) and take a screenshot. Upload that screenshot to www.imageshack.us (don't forget to select "Do not resize" option!) and post the link to the uploaded image here.
December 21, 2012 3:23:08 PM

Sunius said:
Download HWMonitor from here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Then, install and open it. Open the game that you lag in, wait for the lag to start. When it does, minimize the game, maximize HWMonitor window (it should be running from before you open the game) and take a screenshot. Upload that screenshot to www.imageshack.us (don't forget to select "Do not resize" option!) and post the link to the uploaded image here.

ok ill upload one soon Sunius :) 
December 21, 2012 3:59:40 PM

should i mention to that when the lag spike happens a fan in my computer speeds up and gets every noisy then stops when the lag stops?
December 22, 2012 11:27:04 AM

Are you sure HWMonitor was open all the time during the lag since you've launched the game and you captured it when lag happened?
December 22, 2012 3:47:18 PM

Do you have a cat? I do and so I open the pc up and have at with a can of compressed air every 3 or 4 weeks. It also allows me to make sure none of the interior connections have gotten loose. I liken it to a 3000 mile oil change.
December 25, 2012 6:25:42 AM

Sunius said:
Are you sure HWMonitor was open all the time during the lag since you've launched the game and you captured it when lag happened?

yeah im positive i let the game run for about 1o minutes

thakns for the replies guys

and no i dont own a cat ahha i clean my computer out regularly :) 
December 25, 2012 1:02:59 PM

At this point I'd suggest checking the memory overnight. Use memtest for that:

www.memtest.org
December 26, 2012 5:35:27 AM

Sunius said:
At this point I'd suggest checking the memory overnight. Use memtest for that:

www.memtest.org

yeah ive tried memtest and everthing was fine but my ram is running on 1.55v but it says on the actual sticks themselves 1.65v would that make a difference ??
December 26, 2012 5:55:34 PM

Yes, it could make serious issues. I'd suggest fixing that ASAP.
January 23, 2013 1:17:58 PM

i was wandering could it be my motherboard? and i changed it to 1.65v and it only made a bit of difference?
January 23, 2013 3:12:56 PM

I think its CPU temp the CPUTIN reading is over 100C max and the 8120 package temp went as low as 12C making me think its inaccurate unless your room temp is around 5C. What cooler do you have and is the CPU overclocked?
January 23, 2013 10:35:01 PM

simon12 said:
I think its CPU temp the CPUTIN reading is over 100C max and the 8120 package temp went as low as 12C making me think its inaccurate unless your room temp is around 5C. What cooler do you have and is the CPU overclocked?

see i thought that aswell? i have a deep cool gama cooler
January 24, 2013 9:00:29 AM

There are various deep cool gamma coolers and some are worse than the stock cooler and I think they all say they are only suitable for up to 95W tdp CPUs and yours is 125W. If you have the stock cooler I advise you try it if not get a better cooler ASAP. Also make sure you clean off the old thermal paste.
January 24, 2013 10:29:16 AM

simon12 said:
There are various deep cool gamma coolers and some are worse than the stock cooler and I think they all say they are only suitable for up to 95W tdp CPUs and yours is 125W. If you have the stock cooler I advise you try it if not get a better cooler ASAP. Also make sure you clean off the old thermal paste.

the stock one is really really loud like i mean loud haha and its a Deepcool Gammaxx 300 CPU Cooler
January 25, 2013 1:12:09 PM

That one should be fine the Gammaxx are OK as long as your not overclocking but I think its not performing as it should. You could try putting the fans to run at full speed all the time in the bios or reinstalling it with new thermal paste and see if this helps or fixes the problem. Did you have this issue when you had the stock cooler installed?
January 25, 2013 8:45:00 PM

simon12 said:
That one should be fine the Gammaxx are OK as long as your not overclocking but I think its not performing as it should. You could try putting the fans to run at full speed all the time in the bios or reinstalling it with new thermal paste and see if this helps or fixes the problem. Did you have this issue when you had the stock cooler installed?

yeah the gammax was only a cheapy so im not surprised hahaha but yeah i had the same problem with my stock fan and also with my old gtx 560 ti
January 26, 2013 5:35:45 AM

as far as i can tell reading through these posts, it sounds like a overheating issue when the fan speeds kick in to high gear. do you know which fans are speeding up? depending on what ones you will be able to tell what is getting hotter than it should be. do you change thermal compound at all? also how much did you put on the CPU when you put the other heatsink on? too much or too little can cause issues. When i saw 100C that kinda put up a flag to check that out. is the CPU heatsink hot to the touch during these lag spikes?

any of these games should not be generating that much heat from a CPU if heatsinks and thermal compound are applied properly. but i would definatly listen to see which fan is kicking in to high gear to find the culprit
January 26, 2013 6:03:02 AM

sscultima said:
as far as i can tell reading through these posts, it sounds like a overheating issue when the fan speeds kick in to high gear. do you know which fans are speeding up? depending on what ones you will be able to tell what is getting hotter than it should be. do you change thermal compound at all? also how much did you put on the CPU when you put the other heatsink on? too much or too little can cause issues. When i saw 100C that kinda put up a flag to check that out. is the CPU heatsink hot to the touch during these lag spikes?

any of these games should not be generating that much heat from a CPU if heatsinks and thermal compound are applied properly. but i would definatly listen to see which fan is kicking in to high gear to find the culprit

yeah maybe, the cpu fan sounds like its the one that speeds up but i think i know the reason behind the lag my cpu kicks down due to throttling even though ive disabled it but not because of heat... because my cpu FX8120 requires 125w but my motherboard only dishes out 95w to another type of fx8120 which isnt my cpu. So im going to buy another board and see if that does anything ( ASRock 970 extreme 3)
January 26, 2013 6:11:01 AM

ah, yes that would be the issue if the cpu is trying to draw the max wattage, im sure the new mobo would resolve the issue then
January 26, 2013 6:28:01 AM

sscultima said:
ah, yes that would be the issue if the cpu is trying to draw the max wattage, im sure the new mobo would resolve the issue then

sweet i thought so!
February 6, 2013 10:43:52 AM

sscultima said:

hey there im back i got my new motherboard and turned the cpu voltage up to 1.25 but the problem is still there! if anything its worse?!?!??!
February 9, 2013 2:08:58 AM

why are you turning up the voltage on the new motherboard? just leave it at default and it should run fine, just making sure that this new motherboard has 8 pin CPU power connector?
February 11, 2013 10:56:13 PM

sscultima said:
why are you turning up the voltage on the new motherboard? just leave it at default and it should run fine, just making sure that this new motherboard has 8 pin CPU power connector?

ok man ill try that but ive ordered an i5 3570k an a gigabyte z77 mobo
February 12, 2013 2:01:11 AM

good choice, you will be much happier with that intel :D 
!