Sign in with
Your question

AC3- low FPS on 6850

Last response: in Video Games
December 21, 2012 2:20:47 PM

hi everyone!
so.. basically the caption says it- low FPS on assassin's creed 3!
now basically i'd figure i don't have a gpu strong enough, but that is not correct!
the 6850 is the recommended GPU according to the game and it should work ok!
but instead i get around 15-30-60 fps, and the 15 is the average, 30 is rare, and the 60 is when i'm facing a well or something like that.
i've noticed other players with the same/better rig than mine, which get the same problem.
my pc can run BF3 and Crysis 2 A LOT better than this game, and with all do respect, it's not that demanding.
i've also came across those 2 vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIL9U4OR2UI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEw6PHkmiFQ

i have updated my driver to 12.11 and there's no change.
rest of the rig:
FX-4100 OC'd tp 4.2
8 GB ram
550 psu
6850 1GB
thanks!

More about : ac3 low fps 6850

December 21, 2012 3:49:40 PM

facepalm....
anyone who's not an intel fanboy please?
December 28, 2012 4:00:57 AM

Avinoam73 said:
facepalm....
anyone who's not an intel fanboy please?

i heard that it is a problem with amd cpu, mine rig is exactly same as yours but its a intel cpu g630(a bit faster than fx-4100), and the gpu is 7770 also the same as your 6850, and i am getting 30fps average maxed out at 1366*768 res, so i think it is not optimised for amd cpu's
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 28, 2012 5:25:42 AM

It is a CPU problem unfortunately. Assassin's Creed 3 is ridiculously CPU heavy. It is not well threaded though, so you need excellent single threaded performance. In Boston my framerates dip down to 30 FPS with only 80% GPU usage on my system. I can only stay above 30FPS by turning the Environment Details down to high, because very high drops my frames down to 25FPS.

It's a pretty bad port, that's all there is to it. Overclocked Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs stand the best chance of decent performance simply by brute forcing through the bad optimization. The only solutions for you are to either overclock your CPU more and see if that helps, or wait for Ubisoft to fix the game (don't hold your breath though).
December 28, 2012 9:51:48 AM

are you serious? they've actually made the game unplayable to high-end cpus?
battlefield 3 and crysis 2 plays a lot faster! i heard there was a coding problem that they should fix but i didn't heard about a patch (i don't really own the game, my friend played it on my pc). anyway, this sucks. are you sure it's a cpu problem?
December 28, 2012 2:27:19 PM

Avinoam73 said:
are you serious? they've actually made the game unplayable to high-end cpus?
battlefield 3 and crysis 2 plays a lot faster! i heard there was a coding problem that they should fix but i didn't heard about a patch (i don't really own the game, my friend played it on my pc). anyway, this sucks. are you sure it's a cpu problem?

i am also now facing low fps as soon as i reach boston, hardly 20fps, so it is not even optimised for intel cpu,
December 28, 2012 3:40:28 PM

The game is not optimized for anyone it seems. If they did any testing at all, I think they just did it with an i7 3770k at 4.2 GHz with a GTX 670 and simply assumed the game would work okay with anything less than that. The only AMD CPUs that seem to do remotely well in this game are high clocked Phenom IIs. The FX CPUs tend to get slaughtered because of their poor single threaded performance. As I've already said, your only solutions that don't involve upgrading hardware is to overclock further, or wait and hope Ubisoft releases a patch that improves the game's performance.
December 28, 2012 7:21:28 PM

that sucks man.
!