ZoneAlarm - Latest Release - Lots of Problems

The latest iteration (5) of Zone Alarm is rife with problems. Best
stay away from it until Zone Labs can get it properly fixed.
14 answers Last reply
More about zonealarm latest release lots problems

    <Nobody You Need To Know> wrote in message
    > The latest iteration (5) of Zone Alarm is rife with problems. Best
    > stay away from it until Zone Labs can get it properly fixed.

    I have ZA Pro build 5.0.590.015 and NAV. No problems at all.

    Mike

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:43:15 -0400, "Mike" <mikehewson@sympatico.ca>
    wrote:

    ><Nobody You Need To Know> wrote in message
    >> The latest iteration (5) of Zone Alarm is rife with problems. Best
    >> stay away from it until Zone Labs can get it properly fixed.
    >
    >I have ZA Pro build 5.0.590.015 and NAV. No problems at all.
    >
    >Mike

    same here

    > >> The latest iteration (5) of Zone Alarm is rife with problems. Best
    > >> stay away from it until Zone Labs can get it properly fixed.
    > >
    > >I have ZA Pro build 5.0.590.015 and NAV. No problems at all.
    > >

    > same here

    Is NAV still scanning your inbound and outbound e-mail? Mine isn't.
    Neither is a lot of others judging from the postings on dslreports and
    the ZA forum itself. Two Netsky, a few Swens and a Bugbear got through
    to the inbox in last few days thanks to this little ZA "feature". The
    real time NAV scanning still works though.

    No problem here with version 5 ZAF (W98SE). I heard some of the problems
    are with conflicts with antivirus, etc., which ZAF does not have?

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 22:55:28 -0500, "Mike" <NoSpam@StopSpam.org>
    wrote:

    >> >I have ZA Pro build 5.0.590.015 and NAV. No problems at all.
    >> >

    >> same here
    >
    >Is NAV still scanning your inbound and outbound e-mail? Mine isn't.
    >Neither is a lot of others judging from the postings on dslreports and
    >the ZA forum itself. Two Netsky, a few Swens and a Bugbear got through
    >to the inbox in last few days thanks to this little ZA "feature". The
    >real time NAV scanning still works though.

    I never used the NAV Email scanner. I have always used the ZAPro
    Email scanner only.

    "forked" <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote in message

    > >> same here
    > >
    > >Is NAV still scanning your inbound and outbound e-mail? Mine isn't.
    > >Neither is a lot of others judging from the postings on dslreports and
    > >the ZA forum itself. Two Netsky, a few Swens and a Bugbear got through
    > >to the inbox in last few days thanks to this little ZA "feature". The
    > >real time NAV scanning still works though.
    > >

    > I never used the NAV Email scanner. I have always used the ZAPro
    > Email scanner only.

    Yes - all appears to be working well. NAV has caught and deleted a couple
    of Svens in e-mail attachments over the last week or so. I scan with both
    NAV and ZAP - they do not do the same thing and appear to complement each
    other. Just did a complete system scan with NAV - nothing found. I use
    AdAware and Spybot S&D regularly. My system is purring along.

    Mike

    Mine doesn't seem to scan e-mails. Don't get the eye glass etc in the tray
    and seems alot faster. Jeff

    "Jeff" <barje80@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Mine doesn't seem to scan e-mails.

    What makes you come to this conclusion?

    > Don't get the eye glass etc in the tray
    This is what NAV shows you. ZA AV doesn't (bother you .. ;-) ).

    > and seems alot faster. Jeff

    Agreed !! Look at the CPU time consumed when the ZA AV is doing a
    systemscan.
    Symantec/Norton don't come even close to this low usage....

    > "forked" <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:43:15 -0400, "Mike" <mikehewson@sympatico.ca>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > ><Nobody You Need To Know> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > >I have ZA Pro build 5.0.590.015 and NAV. No problems at all.
    > > >
    > > >Mike
    > > >

    > > same here

  9. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    I am using NAV not ZA antivirus just firewall and I don't get the eyeglass,
    that's what bothers me. I not sure if it's working. Jeff

    "Ronald" <new@reply.only> wrote in message

    > "Jeff" <barje80@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Mine doesn't seem to scan e-mails.
    >
    > What makes you come to this conclusion?
    >
    > > Don't get the eye glass etc in the tray
    > This is what NAV shows you. ZA AV doesn't (bother you .. ;-) ).
    >
    > > and seems alot faster. Jeff
    >
    > Agreed !! Look at the CPU time consumed when the ZA AV is doing a
    > systemscan.
    > Symantec/Norton don't come even close to this low usage....
    >

    > > "forked" <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote in message

    > > > same here

  10. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Here is some info about the NAV e-mail scanning problem when using ZAF 5.0
    from the Zonelabs FAQ
    ....I had the same problem with version 5 (ZAF)...I rolled back to 4.5.594
    ZAF and NAV 2004 e-mail scanning works again.

    D. Information on Norton Antivirus E-mail Scanning

    Summary

    Some users have experienced the disabling of Norton's antivirus e-mail
    scanning feature when running ZoneAlarm Pro 5.0 in conjunction with Norton's
    Antivirus.

    Solution

    In the latest ZoneAlarm product line family release (Version 5.0), our
    firewall driver observes more processes and network traffic flows. After the
    release of 5.0 products, we discovered after that our technique conflicts
    with a related technique used by Symantec products. The result of the
    conflict is that Norton Antivirus will not e-mail for viruses. We are
    researching a work-around, and will provide notification once a fix is
    ready. In the meantime, if you encounter this problem, you may opt to roll
    back to the earlier v.4.5 version.

    > I am using NAV not ZA antivirus just firewall and I don't get the
    eyeglass,
    > that's what bothers me. I not sure if it's working. Jeff
    >

    > "Ronald" <new@reply.only> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jeff" <barje80@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Mine doesn't seem to scan e-mails.
    > >
    > > What makes you come to this conclusion?
    > >
    > > > Don't get the eye glass etc in the tray
    > > This is what NAV shows you. ZA AV doesn't (bother you .. ;-) ).
    > >
    > > > and seems alot faster. Jeff
    > >
    > > Agreed !! Look at the CPU time consumed when the ZA AV is doing a
    > > systemscan.
    > > Symantec/Norton don't come even close to this low usage....
    > >

    > > > "forked" <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote in message

    Best

  11. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Thanks I rolled back to 4.4.594. Jeff

    "k2" <k2@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Here is some info about the NAV e-mail scanning problem when using ZAF 5.0
    > from the Zonelabs FAQ
    > ...I had the same problem with version 5 (ZAF)...I rolled back to 4.5.594
    > ZAF and NAV 2004 e-mail scanning works again.
    >

    > D. Information on Norton Antivirus E-mail Scanning
    >
    > Summary
    >
    > Some users have experienced the disabling of Norton's antivirus e-mail
    > scanning feature when running ZoneAlarm Pro 5.0 in conjunction with
    Norton's
    > Antivirus.
    >
    > Solution
    >
    > In the latest ZoneAlarm product line family release (Version 5.0), our
    > firewall driver observes more processes and network traffic flows. After
    the
    > release of 5.0 products, we discovered after that our technique conflicts
    > with a related technique used by Symantec products. The result of the
    > conflict is that Norton Antivirus will not e-mail for viruses. We are
    > researching a work-around, and will provide notification once a fix is
    > ready. In the meantime, if you encounter this problem, you may opt to roll
    > back to the earlier v.4.5 version.
    >

    > "Jeff" <barje80@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I am using NAV not ZA antivirus just firewall and I don't get the
    > eyeglass,
    > > that's what bothers me. I not sure if it's working. Jeff
    > >

    > > "Ronald" <new@reply.only> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Jeff" <barje80@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > What makes you come to this conclusion?

    > > > This is what NAV shows you. ZA AV doesn't (bother you .. ;-) ).

    > > > Agreed !! Look at the CPU time consumed when the ZA AV is doing a
    > > > systemscan.
    > > > Symantec/Norton don't come even close to this low usage....

    <mikehewson@sympatico.ca>

    > Best

  12. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <4ccfb01afg5bvsncve5qkku3to8f91ion0@4ax.com>,
    Nobody You Need To Know <> says...
    > The latest iteration (5) of Zone Alarm is rife with problems. Best
    > stay away from it until Zone Labs can get it properly fixed.

    Agreed. ZAP on 4 machines (3XP, 1 W2K); Fine on 3/4; one
    reboots (no BSOD - just a reset) irregularly. Uninstalled
    ZAP and installed Norton Personal Firewall; all problems
    resolved (5 hours later).

    Will I renew ZAP? Absolutely not. It has gone south with
    the sell out to Checkpoint.
    --
    Murray
  13. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Nobody You Need To Know wrote:
    > The latest iteration (5) of Zone Alarm is rife with problems. Best
    > stay away from it until Zone Labs can get it properly fixed.

    Wish I'd checked here first :-) .... really screwed up my web server
    (IIS) with no feedback whatsoever. Will reinstall the prior version I
    was using and wait until the dust settles.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    I also rolled back to 4.5.594 and got everything to work. I think
    everything in the new ZA worked except it blocked my web server with any
    setting except opening up Internet & Local zone completely, and even
    then it didn't always work. 2nd time I've had to roll back the upgrade
    from them.

    benwood wrote:

    > Nobody You Need To Know wrote:
    >
    >> The latest iteration (5) of Zone Alarm is rife with problems. Best
    >> stay away from it until Zone Labs can get it properly fixed.
    >

    > Wish I'd checked here first :-) .... really screwed up my web server
    > (IIS) with no feedback whatsoever. Will reinstall the prior version I
    > was using and wait until the dust settles.

Firewalls Security Networking