PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Just a quick question for anyone who has or knows anything about the aeroflow heatsink, does the fan screw in? and could you put a 70mm-90mm adaptor on it to put a bigger quieter more powerful fan on it or does it have the screw holes in the wrong places or something?

The fan screws in, but why would you want to do that, I'm using mine in place of a Swiftech MCX462, the Aeroflow runs 4c hotter than the Swiftech did, with 1/3 the noise level and plenty of O/C headroom. I haven't once regretted replacing the Swiftech with the Aeroflow.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
TMD fan = about 35.5 CFM (cubic feet per minute) at between 36-39 dBa. If you've been looking at alot of computer fans as I have you notice that bigger doesn't mean louder. I can put in a 90 mm fan that pushes out 56 CFM at a quieter 35 dBa or go for around the same dBa of the TMD fan at 39.5 dBa and put 63.4 CFM.

So more airflow = Better cooling.... at least I think it works out that way.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PhoenixKnights on 08/08/03 03:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Thats an interesting idea you've got, if you decide to go through with it, post your results, you've got my attention.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Question, if I do get a larger fan should I worry about it not being the TMD because the TMD does have a very small center compared to other fans.

I was thinking about that, with the TMD fan not having a motor body in the center, it focus's air to the center of the heatsink. To share what I was thinking, if you can find an adapter that tapers in with a slight cone effect, then it will focus the air in the center of the heatsink, and the location of the motor body shouldn't be a problem, but you'd need at least a minimum of 1/2 an inch between the fan bottom and the heatsink top, to raise the fan motor away from the heatsink far enough so it wouldn't block the air flow. Then theres the weight factor, the Aeroflow is not a lightweight heatsink, even though you'd be removing the existing fan, what you're considering adding is about twice the weight you're removing, because you'd definitely want to add a fan guard to the top of it.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
Fan adapters usually don't actually improve airflow because of the amount of back pressure they put on the fans. If you can find one cheap, though, give it a try and let us know your results!

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$3 R 8310N6 2 U$</A>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
thing is, the aeroflow was designed to use the tmd fan... thats why the center is hollow to the copper, and if you check-out vantec's technical layout of the heatsink you'll see that its designed to channel the airflow from the center outwards, hence the good cooling

<b>don't hold strong opinions about things you don't understand</b>