XP 2700+ , GA-7NNXP

troymca

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
I'm new to overclocking, so could someone advise me.

I'm using a Gigabyte 7NNXP nforce2 motherboard with Athlon XP 2700+, with the amd stock cooling fan, heatsink etc.

I don't want to add any extra cooling, and I also need an overclocking program (can't use Easytune4).

Also, any advice on overclocking a Gigabyte Radeon 9600 pro,128mb ddr - Using Rage?

Some people seem to only be able to get about 450/320 whereas in a review they managed 491/340.

thanks alot.

svol

Champion
Well first tell us what your current temps are... with stock heatsink you don't have much OC room left in most cases.

Also CPU overclocking is preferably done inside the BIOS (Easytune4 can only read temps and voltages, not OC your mobo).

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
You have a lot of headroom to overclocked. I runned my XP1800+ in the 65-70 Celcius for 6 months without any problem before I changed to better cooling : ThermalTake Volcano 9.

To O/C pretty safely... Go into your BIOS and increase your CPU Multiplier by 0.5 step, boot into Windows and do some stability test (3DMark03...) and check your Temp. Keep your CPU under 70 Celsius... But Athlons can work at 80 and even 90 Celsius.

Then, when you start to crash at boot or during tests... Increase your CPU Voltage in tiny step 0.025 until you regain stability... Athlon can work fine with Vcore up to 1.8 Volts and even more... But as long as you keep AMD heatsink/fan, don't go too far.

NOTE : If you use DDR333 Ram, make sure that the FSB speed is at 166 MHz in the BIOS. If you use DDR400, you can put your FSB to 200 MHz.

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?