Chewy

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Greetings!

I purchased a P3 733 (Coppermine) processor (one Ebay) and I was wondering how far I can over clock and keep it stable with out an extra fans etc... Also is there any odd things I would have to do to O/C it - like cover a pin?
My mother board is a Aopen AX6BC. I'm currently running a p3 550 (Katmai).

Think I'll notice much of a difference when I pop in the 733?
My vid card is a gf-mx 32 meg.

Any comments will be grateful.

Chewy

It's not wise to upset a Wookie.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Uh, I haven't had to say this in a while, but it's too bad you didn't get a PIII 700. Why? The PIII 733 can support high clock speeds, unfortunately it's bus speed is already at 133MHz, so overclocking it to it's max is nearly impossible with your board.

The 733EB (your CPU) is 5.5x133MHz bus. Now, the 700 is 7x100MHz bus. Either processor should easily go over 950MHz, but...even if you use PC150 SDRAM, 150MHz FSB only gets you to 825MHz! With the 700, 133MHz bus would give you 933MHz!

So, you probably will NEVER find the limit of that CPU because you simply can't get your memory to run that fast.

I once tried an i815 chipset using a lower memory ratio to reach 174MHz bus, but using that lower ratio cost me most of the performance I gained. So I went back to the better performing BX chipset and forgot about overclocking beyond around 140MHz bus.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Chewy

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Thanks for the input.

you think If I try to run the bus path a 150 will work? I'm running PC 133
PS - I tried to get a 800/100 but some out bid me

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i doubt you will get much higher than 142mhz with pc133...

getting to 150 all depends on your board...pci cards...graphics card...memory and alot of luck...

I personally can run my 440 bx board (msi 6163 pro)...up and over 140mhz fsb...with pc150 memory...so far i have always been limited by my cpu...so i do not really know the limits of the chipset...

I have ran a 41mhz bus speed without any data corruption...and so far i have gotten up to 93mhz out of my graphics card....at 150mhz fsb your gpu will be pulling 100mhz (66mhz is the stock speed)...these are all things you need to relise...now i have heard that nvidia cards are normally better suited for the high bus speed than ati cards...i am using an ATi rage pro (not exactly top of the line) just fine (again at ony 93mhz not 100mhz)...

I have noticed that my chipset needs 3.4 volts to run stable at anything over 133mhz...i don't know if this is due to the fact that my gpu needs higher signaling strength at higher speeds or if the chipset is the one at fault...

Also i recomend pulling off the chipset cooler and slapping on some artic silver so that the chipset can get some cooling...keep in mind this chipset is very old...and made for only a 100mhz bus...however it is arguably the best pIII and definitly the best pII chipset ever produced...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

svol

Champion
Might be your memory though... the 440BX seem to use so focking fast timings that memory can't handle it very soon above the 135 MHz. Even with PC150 memory. I got 133 MHz high quality memory and it already craps out at 135 MHz FSB.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
hmmm....i don't think it is the memory...it is running .1 volts above spec too (because of an increased chipset voltage)...it should be fine...it is not getting hot or anything...the bx boards are known to overheat some memory...

Although just for kicks i will try cas 3-3-3 just to see if i can go any further (honestly i never considered my memory as holding me back)...i think i am limited by my cpu...cause i am getting these speeds with a pII 400 at something like 560mhz...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

svol

Champion
Hmmm... yesa with a P2 400MHz your CPU is more likely the problem.

But you can always ask Crashman about 440BX boards and memory OC'ing. He gots lot of experience with it.

Chewy

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Thanks for the input guys - when the processor gets here I'll be letting you know my results - I'll try the 5.5*133 first and go a little higher and see if she blows!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
hehe my pII 400 overclocks much better than my piii 700...i wish there was a way to check the cache temp...i think it is overheating and limiting my overclock...i think my cpu is using 4.5ns cache...if i go above 140mhz fsb it runs for like 1 hour and then i always get a bsod...

svol

Champion
Can't you place a piece of copper between the cache chips and the slot cooler to help it keep cool?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i have been trying the mod with a peice of aluminum...it is a pain though cause i can never get spacers just the right hight so the core and the cache make a good contact with eachother...if i can get good contact...hey maybe 620mhz would be possible...600 was my goal...but ya know what...i really don't care anymore as my tualatin is comming in the mail in 2 days...that should be fun to clock :evil:

svol

Champion
If you got the equipment you can measure up the space between the chip and the heatsink. And if you know someone with a metal forging shop/thingy you could ask him to 'sand' (dunno the correct English word) it to the right size.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
yes if i knew someone with a machine shop i could mill a heatsink...

A long time ago they made cache cooling kits...unforunotly...i am hard pressed to invest any money into this chip...in fact i beleive some versions of the pII 300 (downclocked 450s) and all 450's had cache cooling built into the stock hsf...

I just started clocking it for fun...because my piii 700 was a boring and terrible overclocker...but this pII is just something else...it takes voltage and mhz like there is no tommaro...although...maybe 1 day in a few years when we have 15ghz cpus out...i will find the chip and pop it back into the good 'ol bx and brag on these forums how much i can overclock it with the stock LN2 cooling solution that comes with the tejas core cpu :smile:

svol

Champion
ROFLOL... at this moment I'm trying to get a P3 450 MHz Katmai as high as possible with a 550MHz Slo1 cooler with an extra fan. So far I got it to 557 MHz stable... my Asus P2B-F doesn't allow voltage changes and FSB selecting is a pain in the ass (I hate jumpers!). I hope to reach 600 MHz though.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
what temps and volts are you running...

my pII needs 2.6v (2.05 stock) to hit 560...

The temps do not go over 37c full load...i am using a pII 700 heatsink with a 50cfm fan mounted on it...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i can show you how to do a voltage mod...

all you will need is a good quality masking tape and an exacto (or any other sharp knife) knife

svol

Champion
2.0V... I don't know the temp as it doesn't have a sensor... I guess around the 50 C.

And I rather don't mod the mobo/CPU as I'm going to sell it once I found out how fast it can run.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.intel.com/design/PentiumIII/datashts/24445209.pdf" target="_new">http://www.intel.com/design/PentiumIII/datashts/24445209.pdf</A>

Look at page 19

note the best i can get ya without soldering is 2.05...(remember 1 = closed 0 = open...intel does it backwards)

Bottom of page 72 to find the pin ID...

if you want to solder you can use A118 as a ground...you may either connect a vid to ground via a little resistor...or using just wire...i have used wire on 2 diffrent boards (se440bx-2 and msi 6163pro)...intel uses resistors (built onto the cpu)...

I have done all of this before so i am not talking out of my ass..

If you have a 30watt or less soldering iron and are pretty good at soldering go ahead...it is not to hard as long as you are careful...if you use a very high power soldering iron you will screw some stuff up...

If you were to solder it is best to do the mods on the bottom of the board not the cpu...

To tape off pins get some masking tape and cut it with a sharp hobby knife to about the size of the pin being covered...do not worry if you cover the thin section of the pins next to it as the contact is only at the large area...
Halfass diagram

|0|
0|0

if you wana cover the middle 0 then if you cover the |'s you will be ok...as only the 0's contact the "fingers" in the socket note the | does not contact any of the sockets "fingers"...i hope you understand that...

For more info on soldering just ask...