V710 question

I am considering trading up from a VX4400 to a V710. Is that a good move?
Also, if you have the cable for the V710, can you download the pictures
taken to the PC, or do you always have to "send them" incurring costs?

Thanks..... Paul

On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:42:31 -0400, "Paul Simon" <psimon@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I am considering trading up from a VX4400 to a V710. Is that a good move?
>Also, if you have the cable for the V710, can you download the pictures
>taken to the PC, or do you always have to "send them" incurring costs?
>
>Thanks..... Paul

The current Version of the 710 is an excellent phone. You can't beat
the reception.

You can purchase a transflash card that fits in a slot on the top of
the phone. You can transfer pictures back and forth to your computer
that way. You have to resize the picture on your computer before
transferring it to tre phone. The transflash card I purchased is 128
mb and comes with an adapter so that it can fit into a card reader or
digital camera that uses that card.

The current software does not allow you to transfer ringtones to your
phone.

In my opinion you would be making a good move.

"Paul Simon" <psimon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am considering trading up from a VX4400 to a V710. Is that a good move?
> Also, if you have the cable for the V710, can you download the pictures
> taken to the PC, or do you always have to "send them" incurring costs?
>
> Thanks..... Paul

With ever so slight manipulation, mp3 ringtones, mp3 player, BT file
transfer-all that and it's a great phone. Bought 4 at the $99 price, and
they are really are good.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

TeddeLI wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:42:31 -0400, "Paul Simon" <psimon@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am considering trading up from a VX4400 to a V710. Is that a good
>> move? Also, if you have the cable for the V710, can you download the
>> pictures taken to the PC, or do you always have to "send them"
>> incurring costs?
>>
>> Thanks..... Paul
>>
> The current Version of the 710 is an excellent phone. You can't beat
> the reception.
>
> You can purchase a transflash card that fits in a slot on the top of
> the phone. You can transfer pictures back and forth to your computer
> that way. You have to resize the picture on your computer before
> transferring it to tre phone. The transflash card I purchased is 128
> mb and comes with an adapter so that it can fit into a card reader or
> digital camera that uses that card.
>
> The current software does not allow you to transfer ringtones to your
> phone.
>
> In my opinion you would be making a good move.

Speaking of a move. While you are at it how about moving over to another
provider. Verizon severly cripples the Bluetooth functionality of the
phone.

DonR

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

That phone will blow you away. As good as the VX4400 is, this phone is much
better.

On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:48:08 -0700, "John" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>TeddeLI wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:42:31 -0400, "Paul Simon" <psimon@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> The current Version of the 710 is an excellent phone. You can't beat
>> the reception.

>> In my opinion you would be making a good move.
>

>Speaking of a move. While you are at it how about moving over to another
>provider. Verizon severly cripples the Bluetooth functionality of the
>phone.

Yes and you can walk around the mall and talk to the other Cingular
kids with the bluetooth earpieces.

zeppo

Are you referring to the programming mods I've seen reference to on this
newsgroup?

Thanks,
Jon

Zeppo wrote:
> Are you referring to the programming mods I've seen reference to on
> this newsgroup?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon
>
> "Golf God" <nospamanytime@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul Simon" <psimon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I am considering trading up from a VX4400 to a V710. Is that a good
>>> move? Also, if you have the cable for the V710, can you download
>>> the pictures taken to the PC, or do you always have to "send them"
>>> incurring costs?
>>>
>>> Thanks..... Paul
>>>
>> With ever so slight manipulation, mp3 ringtones, mp3 player, BT file
>> transfer-all that and it's a great phone. Bought 4 at the $99 price,
>> and they are really are good.

www.cellphonehacks.com www.nuclearelephant.com

Does anyone know how to turn off the bluetooth connect beep?

> www.cellphonehacks.com www.nuclearelephant.com

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <d6cpqv$82u$1@smtp.tc.faa.gov>, psimon@yahoo.com says...
> I am considering trading up from a VX4400 to a V710. Is that a good move?
> Also, if you have the cable for the V710, can you download the pictures
> taken to the PC, or do you always have to "send them" incurring costs?
>
> Thanks..... Paul

I went from a VX 4400 to the 710 because I am in a poor reception area
and the 4400 simply could not handle it. Perhaps my 4400 phone had
grown faulty, although tech support could not find anything wrong with
it.

I've not had such good reception since my StarTac and I think the 710
might even beat that as far as reception is concerned.

The 710 has an excellent speakerphone and an incredible ability to voice
dial from your address book. Without any training in all, I have been
able to get 100% accuracy when I tell the 710 to dial a particular name
which is already in my address book. The ringer volume and vibrate
settings are clickable on the side, but not so that you frequently set
it to some of the setting when you never meant to which used to happen
to me all the time with the 4400. Voice clarity on the 710 is better
although I do not think that it is quite as loud even at full volume as
the 4400 was. I have sometimes put it on to speakerphone to get more
volume when on a very noisy street.

The down side so far, and I've only had it about two weeks, is that the
710 is heavier and somewhat larger (although a little thinner). I don't
find it as comfortable to hold in my hand but I'm getting used to it.

One other objection I have to the 710, aside from the ways that Verizon
has crippled it, is that the size of the display font for phone numbers,
address book etc. is too small. This might be a problem, or not,
depending upon your vision. However, since the voice dialing is so
good, I find that I rarely have to use my address book to make a call.
The front display (when closed) is not as color customizable and
Motorola insists upon offering a pattern in the background which makes
the outer display a little harder to read -- again something that you
might or might not have problems with depending upon your vision.

For me, there really is no comparison because with the V710 I have more
than adequate reception everywhere and that is far from what I had when
in weak signal areas with the 4400.

I don't much care about the camera and in fact I wish it wasn't there.
I wish that Verizon had not crippled its use as an MP3 player.

I think it's a very good phone and you can get it had a very good price.
If you have a specific question I've not covered, post back.

Louise

Louise wrote:
> In article <d6cpqv$82u$1@smtp.tc.faa.gov>, psimon@yahoo.com says...
>> I am considering trading up from a VX4400 to a V710. Is that a good
>> move? Also, if you have the cable for the V710, can you download the
>> pictures taken to the PC, or do you always have to "send them"
>> incurring costs?
>>
>> Thanks..... Paul
>>

> I went from a VX 4400 to the 710 because I am in a poor reception area
> and the 4400 simply could not handle it. Perhaps my 4400 phone had
> grown faulty, although tech support could not find anything wrong with
> it.
>
> I've not had such good reception since my StarTac and I think the 710
> might even beat that as far as reception is concerned.
>
> The 710 has an excellent speakerphone and an incredible ability to
> voice dial from your address book. Without any training in all, I
> have been able to get 100% accuracy when I tell the 710 to dial a
> particular name which is already in my address book. The ringer
> volume and vibrate settings are clickable on the side, but not so
> that you frequently set it to some of the setting when you never
> meant to which used to happen to me all the time with the 4400.
> Voice clarity on the 710 is better although I do not think that it is
> quite as loud even at full volume as the 4400 was. I have sometimes
> put it on to speakerphone to get more volume when on a very noisy
> street.
>
> The down side so far, and I've only had it about two weeks, is that
> the 710 is heavier and somewhat larger (although a little thinner).
> I don't find it as comfortable to hold in my hand but I'm getting
> used to it.
>
> One other objection I have to the 710, aside from the ways that
> Verizon has crippled it, is that the size of the display font for
> phone numbers, address book etc. is too small. This might be a
> problem, or not, depending upon your vision. However, since the
> voice dialing is so good, I find that I rarely have to use my address
> book to make a call. The front display (when closed) is not as color
> customizable and Motorola insists upon offering a pattern in the
> background which makes the outer display a little harder to read --
> again something that you might or might not have problems with
> depending upon your vision.
>
> For me, there really is no comparison because with the V710 I have
> more than adequate reception everywhere and that is far from what I
> had when in weak signal areas with the 4400.
>
> I don't much care about the camera and in fact I wish it wasn't there.
> I wish that Verizon had not crippled its use as an MP3 player.
>
> I think it's a very good phone and you can get it had a very good
> price. If you have a specific question I've not covered, post back.
>
> Louise

The v710 and the BT headset is a spectacular combination if you
make/take calls frequently. I do agree that the speaker volume is a bit
low compared to my v265. There is a volume hack at www.nuclearelephant
that supposedly opens up the volume to max.

I just upgraded to this phone from an LG 4400 last Tuesday. Let me tell
you that it is awesome. I don't understand what you mean by Verizon
crippling its use as an mp3 player though. Can you explain? I have a
transflash card for it, and I'm able to transfer mp3s from the computer
and listen to them on the phone.

Remove MY SOCKS to reply by e-mail

Louise wrote:

> I don't much care about the camera and in fact I wish it wasn't there.
> I wish that Verizon had not crippled its use as an MP3 player.

I would imagine this phone will be replaced or upgraded soon, based on
the price drop. Anyone know anything about a possible
replacement/upgrade?

I think what they meant was they crippled the use to make ringtones out of
mp3's. Yes, you can play them you just can't use them as ringtones without
hacking the phone. To read all about hacking and a lot of info on the phone
go to this forum.
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=3f95093a6341baae7b45e1879781e6d9&forumid=254