Favorite game for benchmarking

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm going outside of the normal internal discussions to ask a few of you guys for your favorite game to benchmark The trick is, I don't have time to play through, and the only games I'm even good at are already part of my benchmark set.

Right now I have an FPS, a racing sim, and an rpg, so I guess RTS would be OK...if I get stuck doing two of a kind, a second FPS would probably be the most popular.

So the rules are, I can't use someone else's save game and I can't play through. So, even though we all hate the synthetic nature of canned benchmarks, it's either that or an automated sequence that I can cue up.

If I go to a canned benchmark, Benchmark tools are an AWESOME way to do those and are highly welcomed.

Witcher 2 has pretty long cutscenes (2+ minutes) which are rendered on the fly. I think it would make an excellent benchmarking platform, considering how graphically demanding the game is.

P. S. Battlefield 3 is by far not the most graphically intensive game :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

That sounds great! But I'd still need a game save if I wanted to cue up one of those cutscenes. Where are the saves stored?

thing is witcher is a dx9 game. it has no special effects that cant be done on earlier versions of direct x and is the reason why its so punishing when the dof is turned on. so is pretty pointless to test dx11 hardware for anything other than backwards compatibility.
bf3 aint a good choice because it will cripple any current card as its badly optimized where map clipping is concerned.
its also no good because its not actually representative of the multilayer game.
cod black ops has a demo recorder so will give a true representation of a multiplayer game that is pre recorded so will be consistent. its not the most demanding game but because of its consistency its a good bench-marker. the fps are independent of the system it was recorded on as well as independent of the games other settings. probalem here is that it can end up playing at 300fps on a top draw system.
i know its a pretty pointless number but with that much range it does give a good scale to match perfomance.
players can just download your demo recording and see how there system compares.