soulsunder

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Hey guys I'm new here and I was wondering if I had a bottleneck with the next system, because in my oppinion it should do better than it does:
-Phenom II x4 975 OC at 4Ghz
-8gb of ram at 1600 mhz
-A rampage 3 motherboard from assus if im not mistaken
-A Gtx680 SOC from EVGA.
The problem I am facing is that when I try to OC my graphics card the driver either fails and I am forced to switch back to the original settings, at first I thought that it was the software, that I didn't configure it propperly but I double checked everything.My question is should I get a new motherboard and CPU to match the 680 or leave it as it is.

darth pravus

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
You obviously are trying to oc too high.

Your chip probably isn't the best so you will never get a high overclock.

Don't oc the 680 and just get a new CPU if you want 100% of the performance.

PS Ocing isn't a feature. It just happens to be something you might be able to do depedning on your GPU chip. Your won't so stop trying before you break something.

Maybe try a less aggressive oc. What is it now?

the 680 and 670 will likely be to much gfx card for the cpu. they will run games but on average they will give 20 fps less than if you were running on an intel i5/7 series.
max i would recommend you go with that cpu is the 570 or 660ti as there just as likely to give exactly the same frame rates due to better balance.
seriously why spend the extra to get fps your not gonna see..

soulsunder

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Thanks for the quick replyes, I think ill go back to the setup that worked just fine ,and that is OC my processor and leave the GPU alone.