1700+ wire mod to increase voltage

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Hi, I recently got ASROCK K7S8X-E mobo, very cheap very stable very good value for money. I coupled it with a 1700+ Tbred b :) it's DUT3C, is that one of the good OCable ones?

Anyway, The asrock mobo doesn't have any voltage settings in the bios. I've taken it from default 11x133 1467 MHz to 11x175 1925 MHz without anything except just increasing the fsb. I want to take it to 200, I know I need extra voltage, I think about 1.725 volts VCore.

Does anyone know where I can get diagrams to show me which pins need to be joined on the CPU to get the increased voltage?

-----------------------------------
The bigger I am, the harder they fall.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hatimh on 08/16/03 10:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Here you go.

<A HREF="http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html" target="_new">http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html</A>

The article states to cut the L11 bridges on you proc but I'm wondering if you can do the same as the other pin/socket mods. That is, connect VID pin to Vcc if you want HIGH and to Vss if you want LOW. Seem you could do all 5 VID pins and overide the L11 bridge. (I'm not sure on this. Just a thought).

Here's a reference paper. Look at page 68, pin L1, for the VID signals.

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25175.pdf" target="_new">http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25175.pdf</A>

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 08/16/03 09:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
OK that's great so far.The bit I don't understand is the cutting of all L11 bridges.

Is there an alternative to cutting the L11 bridges? Like some other pin mods, that paper you showed is a bit too hardcore and I didn't understand that filth you wrote about the VID pin and Vcc etc. filth - lol.

Thanks mate.

PS In my first post I wrote 'acable' I meant OCable

The bigger I am, the harder they fall.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hatimh on 08/16/03 10:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
VID[0] is the low order bit in voltage sensing. It corresponds to the first L11 bridge, VID[1] is the second order bit and corresponds to the second L11 bridge, etc.

It's the VID signals that are used to select the Vcore voltage.

The pin mod guide assumes that all the L11 bridges have been cut. Then it shows you what pins to mod to get the desired voltage. I don't know if they do it this way to make it easier or if it's essential.

Perhaps you can do voltage mods the same way you do the multiplier mods, meaning reset the bit any way you want. Perhaps not. I don't know.

So the answer is, "No, I don't know of another way (not for sure)".

Sorry.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
I see, ok well thanks for the tips and links so far.

I'll check at OCinside if anyone knows how I might just set it 1.7 VCore from what it is at default now.

The bigger I am, the harder they fall.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
I posted the following on OCinside.de but if anyone knows the answer here than that'd be cool too.

In the new interactive pin mod guide it says:

"otherwise you're just able to build a higher Vcore depending to the actual L11 bridge
and Pin-Mod combinations."

What does the above statement mean or what is it trying to say exactly. The way I understood it is that by cutting the L11 bridges you reset the voltage to 0v and then by doing the mod you add 1.7v (if that's what you selected) so if I don't cut the L11 bridges then it will add 1.7v to the existing 1.6v (default). so total 3.3 v Vcore and my chip will fry.

If I have understood it correctly, then is their a way to add 0.1 v to the existing VCore with a pin mod? i.e. I have my 1700+ and I want to increase the VCore to 1.7 v is that possible without cutting the L11 bridges.

Many Thanks.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
By the way I managed to take my fsb to 190 without changing the Vcore, I was surprised at that. Since I have ddr400 rm and my mobo supports 400 fsb then I definitely want to take it higher, this is a second machine not my main one though.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, I know it's your second system. I think I know your systems better than my own by now (LOL!).

Keep us posted on how well the ASROCK mobo does.

Good luck my friend.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
OK well here's the response from someone on the ocinside forum.

http://www.forum-inside.de/cgi-bin/forum/topic.cgi?forum=1&topic=7008

It is possible to mod it without cutting the L11 bridges, but you have to use the interactive guide to compare the default pin config and your desired settings pin config, if all the joins in the default config are present in the desired settings pin config then you just have to see what the extra ones are and add those (what a _crap explanation).

Maybe you understand what I'm saying. Anyway, I'm going to do some benchmarking and post my results here for you to see. We'll then be able to see how the 1700+ on Asrock with the SIS 748 chipset compares with 1700+ on Asus A7N8X with dual channel.

Can't wait. Thanks for all your input on this all who helped.

phsstpok, I think you probably have shares in my PC systems by now.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Shares? I hope we will see a profit!

As for the voltage mod it seems that it does not work like the multiplier mods. You can't pull the bits HIGH or LOW. You can only pull them HIGH. This means any bits that are HIGH by default are stuck that way.

By cutting all the L11 bridges in the beginning you would pull all the bits LOW. You would then be able to select all the bit combinations.

Does this make sense?

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
After the reading it 3 times I understood what you meant.

I think that's right. Well I just added the one pin mod to make it 1.65v it now goes up to 195 happily. :) MBM says 39 idle @ sensor 1.

I think this baby iwill go high man. I just don't want to take her to 1.85v :( Maybe I'll just try it, see what the temps are like. And how far I can take it, not sure I'll leave it at that though. Anyway it's currently 2145.

I'm actually getting really annoyed with something though. Check this out. http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=001246;p=3

look at the last post, and you'll see it says that the latest beta bios for this board has been released and the password has been published (for the zip file).

For the life of me, I can't find the password anywhere. I sent two long polite e-mails to the admin but they sent me a one liner rude and _retarded response. _Retards.

Sorry, I'm just quite annoyed.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Get one of the ZIP password crackers like AZPR.

It's for recovering forgotten passwords :wink:

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 08/18/03 12:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Wow, I'm impressed. Did the wire mod for 1.85v, ok Max load temp is 54 so still within the limits (not using the best heatsink in the world)

Anyway I'm running 205 fsb :) !!! 11 x 205 2255 MHz for this cheap ass CPU and MoBo.

I reccommend this to anyone on a budget. But yes, do wait for the rev 3 with the overclocking options available in the bios. (not just fsb).

Anyway I'm happy with it on 1.85v, I'm running my twinmos 256 MB ddr400 (pc3200) on it at cas 2 :) no probs so far.

I started cracking the password but it was gonna take months (because I got the password in the end) and it was like 50 chars long!!!!! The password has been officially published on their site.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Just my opinion but 1.85 volt is bit high with only air cooling, espeically if your HSF is only mediocre.

Nice overclock though!

Have you run a Sandra memory benchmark?

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
OK I had to bring it down to 204 as I got a BSOD after a while. Seems fine now though. 1.85v is overkill for the setting it's at, I know that it only needs about 1.75 1.8 max. the extra .05 is just a waste of electricity and extra damage for nothing :( but I don't really have much of a choice. at the mo, unless I cut the L11 bridges, maybe I will just cut them because I did a harder cut when I increased the mult on my first 1700+. I think it was the first and third bridge I cut.

Two questions:

1. Would it be possible for me to make just one cut all the way accross? (I know it makes it harder to fill the the cuts if I had to unmod it.

2. How can I change the mutliplier to 11.5 on this 1700+?

Thanks again.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You should be able to do a single cut with an exacto knife to take out five L11 bridges. I did a single cut to take out two L3 bridges.

You could use the battery trick. A 9V battery (I've also heard 5V from a power supply and two D-Cells in series) connected on both sides, one bridge at a time, will sever the bridge (at least, that's what I have read). You'll see a flash of light where the bridge is/was.

I haven't tried it yet because I don't need to do so (and because it sounded risky). However, I've read more and more accounts of individuals using this method. Haven't heard of any failures yet. (I have heard of a couple of failed bridge cuttings, though. I seem to recall you had some trouble).

11.5x is easy. Your 1700+, as it stands now, has all the multiplier bits set to HIGH, that is the L3 bridges are all connected. You can cut the 1st L3 bridge to get 11.5x. It will look like this L3. :|||| when you are done. Alternatively, you can connect a wire from pin (or socket hole) AN27 (.5x bit) to the nearest Vcc (VCore) connection, pin AM26. (see link below, about middle of page).

<A HREF="http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/Workarounds.htm" target="_new">http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/Workarounds.htm</A>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
OK it seems each time I get a bsod for different things, slowly bringing it down to now on 202 fsb. So I'm thinking I'll beable to increase the multiplier on the 1.85 Vcore it's on now, I'm sure that won't be much of a problem.

I'm trying to understand these diagrams, but unfortunately I'm only clever enough to follow a diagram which says "This is how you set your multiplier to 11.5"

I see a diagram which has 4 green dots around AN27 and a white and pink dot just below it and to the right. But I don't know which ones I'll have to connect.

I've tried having a look at the interactive pin mod guide too to see if I could decipher it. But no joy.

Any pointers?

Thanks.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I assume you are looking at doing a socket mod.

Everything is in a grid pattern. Look at the picture on the right. The rows are labeled A..Z and AA..AN. Note there is no Row AI. Row A starts at the bottom and goes up to row AN at the top. Column 1 starts at the right and goes to column 37 at the left. Use the two corners with missing pins for reference. Notice there are no pins/holes at A1 nor AN1. Those two corners are the reference points.

Now look up at row AN, the top row. Notice that this row only has even numbered columns, 3, 5, 7, 9... You are looking for pin AN27. (It's easier to count backwards from the right, though so 37, 35, 33, 31, 29, <font color=red>27</font color=red>). Mark that hole with a Sharpie pen (permanent ink). Below pin AN27 and to the right is pin AM26. This is just one row down and notice that all the columns on this row are even numbered 2, 4, 6, 8... AM26 is adjacent to AN27 but it's diagonally down and to the right (in the diagram). Mark AM26 pin/hole. Slip a fine wire thread between the two pins/holes you marked. If the wire thread is fine enough the CPU will still drop into the socket without any force. Jiggle the CPU if you have to but don't force it. Don't worry about the wire thread fitting loosely. The ZIF retaining mechanism will tighten up the connection when you lock it closed.

DON'T MESS UP the orientation and don't mis-count! Get it right or you might be sorry!

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 08/19/03 01:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
OK I follow ur explanation 100% clearly.

I'm gonna give this a shot, my CPU is in ur hands,it's pretty hot though so be careful :p

Here goes.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Hi again, ok well I followed your guidelines and all went well multiplier went up to 11.5 :) but theI think the limit of my OC had been reached, I relaxed the ram timings a bit, cas 2.5, tRAS 6, and the two others 2, 3.

11.5 seemed too much for it worked fine in all Sandra's benches but when I loaded up a game it BSODed.

So I've gone back down to 11x207. 2277. I'm done with mods and OCing for now, I'm exhausted!

Thanks for all your help, I'm going to post some benchmark results soon and compare them with my NForce 2 system running at 11x197 2167 (until I get a better psu).

*sigh* :)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Could be the limit for your CPU but could also be your Northbridge or memory or your HSF.

Your mentioned 54 degrees for your CPU. I don't think you will go much further with temps like that but if you were to get a better cooler, use a higher multiplier and lower bus speeds, you'd be able to determine your CPU's limit for sure. With lower bus speeds the northbridge and memory wouldn't be a factor.

Anyway, it would splitting hairs. At this point there's only a small bit of performance to be gained.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Oh yeah, that's right, I seem to have just decided that was the limit, without any real thought.

You're also right about the splitting hairs bit, I can see that there's not going to be much in it.

OK well I just ordered another ATI Radeon 8500 off ebay for very CHEAP!!!! about $35!!! This card is best bang for the buck at the moment. On my Main machine I have it, I get 10700 3DMark2001. Paying $450 for a graphics card, is darn right outrageous. FYI, I paid just over half that (cost of a radeon 9800) for all this gear I have now, Asrock MoBo, 1700+ TBred B DUT3C, 256 TwinMos PC3200 and a radeon 8500.

Bye for now.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
I posted my findings in the motherboards and chipsets are, you can take a look if you're interested.