O/C with a7v333 mobo?

tumadre123

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
can i overclock well using this motherboard? if i get a cpu that is already unlocked from the factory will i be able to use this to my advantage with my current mobo? will i have to get another motherboard to do any decent O/Cing?

right now i have my 1900 palimino at 1739.65MHz 145*2 with the multi at the stock 12. i just figured that if i could get a $50-$60 cpu with the multi's unlocked and i didn't have to mod the chip to get diff multi's i would give it a shot.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" -quote from a ThinkGeek.com t-shirt

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
What revision is ur motherboard? If ur mobo supports FSB333, then u will get a decent overclock with that system. A good overclock also depends on ur RAM apart from the CPU and the mobo. What RAM are u using?

<font color=blue>Just be </font color=blue><font color=red><b>ABU</b></font color=red> - <b><font color=red>A</b></font color=red><font color=blue>lways</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>B</b></font color=red><font color=blue>e</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>U</b></font color=red><font color=blue>seful<b>!</b></font color=blue>

tumadre123

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
the revision is 1.4 or 1.04 not sure. i know it is not the version that supports 333fsb. i have 512mb corsair pc2700 cl2 w/ the fancy heat spreader on it.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" -quote from a ThinkGeek.com t-shirt

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
U cud go to <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx" target="_new">http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx</A> to check if ur motherboard supports 333FSB.

None the less, since u have PC2700, u cud try overclocking quite a bit. Try increasing the FSB and let us know how high u cud go. As for as an upgrade, i wud suggest u wait for a little while b4 u make a investment. The latest CPUs are to be out in a couple of months from both Intel and AMD, or atleast one of them wud release by October.

Then u cud have a much wider choice of components, or if u wud want to stick with ur current config even then, the prices wud have come down. thats my thot.

<font color=blue>Just be </font color=blue><font color=red><b>ABU</b></font color=red> - <b><font color=red>A</b></font color=red><font color=blue>lways</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>B</b></font color=red><font color=blue>e</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>U</b></font color=red><font color=blue>seful<b>!</b></font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheMask on 08/18/03 06:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

tumadre123

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
well i had to back off my previous O/C because i couldn't play gta:vice city :frown: so know i am at 1727mhz. 144*12 almost 2100 speed. :smile: is the palimino core known to be hot because even w/as3, a thermaright sk7, and one of those loud azz 84 CFM sunon fans it still heats up to 40-45c?

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
40-45C? thats not hot for a palamino!! My friend's 2000+ Palamino idles at 63C and reaches 73C at full load. And thats with one side of the case open!!!

As for ur overclock, thats a decent overclock for a Palamino. May be if u try a little more u cud get a few more MHz out of it.

<font color=blue>Just be </font color=blue><font color=red><b>ABU</b></font color=red> - <b><font color=red>A</b></font color=red><font color=blue>lways</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>B</b></font color=red><font color=blue>e</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>U</b></font color=red><font color=blue>seful<b>!</b></font color=blue>