Armada M300 and RF induction from transformer.

I am using it to play midi files thru a sequencer programme {cakewalk}via a
sound module to an amplifier and speakers.
When using power supply there is loud RF noise. Just using internal battery
no RF noise.
Works okay with a borrowed Toshiba.
I noticed the Toshiba has a bigger transformer and maybe has an RF filter
inside.
Is there an RF filter in the Armada transformer? If not would an RF choke
solve my problem ?
Thanks for any help.
5 answers Last reply
More about armada m300 induction transformer

    "dickydoo" <dickydoo@xtra.co.nz> wrote in

    > I am using it to play midi files thru a sequencer programme
    > {cakewalk}via a sound module to an amplifier and speakers.
    > When using power supply there is loud RF noise. Just using
    > internal battery no RF noise.
    > Works okay with a borrowed Toshiba.
    > I noticed the Toshiba has a bigger transformer and maybe has an
    > RF filter inside.
    > Is there an RF filter in the Armada transformer? If not would an
    > RF choke solve my problem ?
    > Thanks for any help.

    The 'transformer' is in fact a switching mode power regulator. These
    operate at high frequencies and produce electrical noise signals that
    are both conducted and radiated.

    If the noise is entering the laptop via the wire, a clip-on ferrite
    suppressor may be effective, e.g.:
    <http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=32799&doy=27m8&QV=Y>

    Dear Group,

    I have a Compaq PC clone running Windows 2000 with an HL-DT-ST CDROM model
    GCR-8408B. I have had no problems with it - plays CDRs and audio CDs.

    As birthday present for my son, have bought (second hand) 'Battle For
    Middle Earth' CD Rom, in original box - not a copy. (In fact, I have two
    identical boxed sets - by mistake...)

    My drive will not recognise either CDR. I have tried them in another
    machines CDR which recognised each of them as the Lord of the Rings CDR. My
    drive whirrs and chugs for a minute before asking for a disc to be inserted.

    Any advice welcome.

    TIA

    "McSpreader" <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "dickydoo" <dickydoo@xtra.co.nz> wrote in
    >
    > > I am using it to play midi files thru a sequencer programme
    > > {cakewalk}via a sound module to an amplifier and speakers.
    > > When using power supply there is loud RF noise. Just using
    > > internal battery no RF noise.
    > > Works okay with a borrowed Toshiba.
    > > I noticed the Toshiba has a bigger transformer and maybe has an
    > > RF filter inside.
    > > Is there an RF filter in the Armada transformer? If not would an
    > > RF choke solve my problem ?
    > > Thanks for any help.
    > >
    > The 'transformer' is in fact a switching mode power regulator. These
    > operate at high frequencies and produce electrical noise signals that
    > are both conducted and radiated.
    >
    > If the noise is entering the laptop via the wire, a clip-on ferrite
    > suppressor may be effective, e.g.:
    > <http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=32799&doy=27m8&QV=Y>

    Thank you.

    I have fitted ferrite chokes on all cables but noise still there. Could you
    recommend a replacement power supply ?

    > I have fitted ferrite chokes on all cables but noise still
    > there. Could you recommend a replacement power supply ?
    > "McSpreader" <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "dickydoo" <dickydoo@xtra.co.nz> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I am using it to play midi files thru a sequencer programme
    >> > {cakewalk}via a sound module to an amplifier and speakers.
    >> > When using power supply there is loud RF noise. Just using
    >> > internal battery no RF noise.
    >> > Works okay with a borrowed Toshiba.
    >> > I noticed the Toshiba has a bigger transformer and maybe has
    >> > an RF filter inside.
    >> > Is there an RF filter in the Armada transformer? If not would
    >> > an RF choke solve my problem ?
    >> > Thanks for any help.
    >> >
    >> The 'transformer' is in fact a switching mode power regulator.
    >> These operate at high frequencies and produce electrical noise
    >> signals that are both conducted and radiated.
    >>
    >> If the noise is entering the laptop via the wire, a clip-on
    >> ferrite suppressor may be effective, e.g.:
    >> <http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=32799&doy=27m8&QV=

    A replacement PSU may do the biz. Suggest you search the web for
    one, eBay is a good source. Alternatively, there are universal
    laptop PSUs on the market.

Compaq Toshiba Computers