help needed for sygate - internet provider acceptance

Hello, my sygate personal firewall version 5.5 build 2525 functions well,
but there is an annoying problem. My internet provider is videotron.ca and I
have an extreme high speed connection. Naturally, the provider sends and
receives info from my comp at regular intervals, but its IP address changes
often; not the two first parts, 24.201, but the rest yes. I tried using the
sygate help guide, but it is ashamedly pretty well greek to me.

Is there anyone who can tell me, step by step, how to direct sygate to
accept my internet provider as acceptable in all situations, instead of a
menace? If not, can someone provide me the name of another free firewall
application that would be easier for me to comprehend?

Thank-you and have a great day!
4 answers Last reply
More about help needed sygate internet provider acceptance

    "William Pelchat" <shazzam@videotron.ca> wrote in

    > Hello, my sygate personal firewall version 5.5 build 2525 functions
    > well, but there is an annoying problem. My internet provider is
    > videotron.ca and I have an extreme high speed connection.

    What's an extreme high speed connection? What kind of connection do you
    have?

    > Naturally,
    > the provider sends and receives info from my comp at regular
    > intervals, but its IP address changes often; not the two first parts,
    > 24.201, but the rest yes. I tried using the sygate help guide, but it
    > is ashamedly pretty well greek to me.

    What do you mean by this? Do you mean the IP from the ISP changes each
    time you connect to the ISP?

    > Is there anyone who can tell me, step by step, how to direct sygate to
    > accept my internet provider as acceptable in all situations, instead
    > of a menace? If not, can someone provide me the name of another free
    > firewall application that would be easier for me to comprehend?

    What O/S are you using?

    Duane :)

    In article <zu5uc.144540$zG3.1717209@wagner.videotron.net>, shazzam@videotron.ca says...
    > Hello, my sygate personal firewall version 5.5 build 2525 functions well,
    > but there is an annoying problem. My internet provider is videotron.ca and I
    > have an extreme high speed connection. Naturally, the provider sends and
    > receives info from my comp at regular intervals, but its IP address changes
    > often; not the two first parts, 24.201, but the rest yes. I tried using the
    > sygate help guide, but it is ashamedly pretty well greek to me.
    >
    > Is there anyone who can tell me, step by step, how to direct sygate to
    > accept my internet provider as acceptable in all situations, instead of a
    > menace? If not, can someone provide me the name of another free firewall
    > application that would be easier for me to comprehend?
    >
    > Thank-you and have a great day!

    Hi William,
    I don't fully understand your problem but in Sygate if you want to
    connect to a range of IP addresses on all ports and protocols,
    create an advanced rule.
    Go to Advanced Rules | Add
    Fill out the tabs as follows:
    General
    Rule Description: (you name the rule)
    check Allow traffic
    Host
    check IP Addresses
    Enter 24.201.nnn.nnn-24.201.nnn.nnn
    (you would neeed to get the range of addresses from your ISP)
    Ports and Protocols
    Protocol: All
    Click O.K.
    See if that will work.
    Casey

    Casey <casey@nosuch.net> wrote in

    > In article <zu5uc.144540$zG3.1717209@wagner.videotron.net>,
    > shazzam@videotron.ca says...
    >> Hello, my sygate personal firewall version 5.5 build 2525 functions
    >> well, but there is an annoying problem. My internet provider is
    >> videotron.ca and I have an extreme high speed connection. Naturally,
    >> the provider sends and receives info from my comp at regular
    >> intervals, but its IP address changes often; not the two first parts,
    >> 24.201, but the rest yes. I tried using the sygate help guide, but it
    >> is ashamedly pretty well greek to me.
    >>
    >> Is there anyone who can tell me, step by step, how to direct sygate
    >> to accept my internet provider as acceptable in all situations,
    >> instead of a menace? If not, can someone provide me the name of
    >> another free firewall application that would be easier for me to
    >> comprehend?
    >>
    >> Thank-you and have a great day!
    >>
    > Hi William,
    > I don't fully understand your problem but in Sygate if you want to
    > connect to a range of IP addresses on all ports and protocols,
    > create an advanced rule.
    > Go to Advanced Rules | Add
    > Fill out the tabs as follows:
    > General
    > Rule Description: (you name the rule)
    > check Allow traffic
    > Host
    > check IP Addresses
    > Enter 24.201.nnn.nnn-24.201.nnn.nnn
    > (you would neeed to get the range of addresses from your ISP)
    > Ports and Protocols
    > Protocol: All
    > Click O.K.
    > See if that will work.
    > Casey

    You do know by setting that kind of rule for those IP(s) to accept at the
    FW, you might as well not have a FW. That's because anyone else on the
    ISP's network that gets an IP in the range of those IP(s) could possibly
    have access to the OP's computer, since the FW has a rule to accept them.
    :)

    Sygate may have IDS and is good but it's not that good. :)

    Duane :)

    William Pelchat said in
    > Hello, my sygate personal firewall version 5.5 build 2525 functions
    > well, but there is an annoying problem. My internet provider is
    > videotron.ca and I have an extreme high speed connection. Naturally,
    > the provider sends and receives info from my comp at regular
    > intervals, but its IP address changes often; not the two first parts,
    > 24.201, but the rest yes. I tried using the sygate help guide, but it
    > is ashamedly pretty well greek to me.
    >
    > Is there anyone who can tell me, step by step, how to direct sygate to
    > accept my internet provider as acceptable in all situations, instead
    > of a menace? If not, can someone provide me the name of another free
    > firewall application that would be easier for me to comprehend?
    >
    > Thank-you and have a great day!

    Don't use sygate but I would suspect most firewalls actually allow you
    to define rules, so you could define a rule to permit inbound initiated
    connections from the IP range for your ISP. However ...

    Just because the inbound IP address is one that is allocated to your ISP
    doesn't mean it is from your ISP. Could be from another of their
    customers. After all, the IP address their DHCP server assigned to you
    was also in their allocated IP address range. So it could be another
    customer of your ISP trying to hack into your computer.

    Why do you need to let your ISP (or any other customer of theirs)
    monitor and hack into your computer? Did your contract with your ISP
    require that they be allowed to spy on your system and/or intranetwork?

    *** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Firewalls Internet Networking