help needed for sygate - internet provider acceptance

Last response: in Networking
May 29, 2004 7:27:30 PM

Hello, my sygate personal firewall version 5.5 build 2525 functions well,
but there is an annoying problem. My internet provider is videotron.ca and I
have an extreme high speed connection. Naturally, the provider sends and
receives info from my comp at regular intervals, but its IP address changes
often; not the two first parts, 24.201, but the rest yes. I tried using the
sygate help guide, but it is ashamedly pretty well greek to me.

Is there anyone who can tell me, step by step, how to direct sygate to
accept my internet provider as acceptable in all situations, instead of a
menace? If not, can someone provide me the name of another free firewall
application that would be easier for me to comprehend?

Thank-you and have a great day!
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 11:55:11 PM

"William Pelchat" <shazzam@videotron.ca> wrote in

> Hello, my sygate personal firewall version 5.5 build 2525 functions
> well, but there is an annoying problem. My internet provider is
> videotron.ca and I have an extreme high speed connection.

What's an extreme high speed connection? What kind of connection do you
have?

> Naturally,
> the provider sends and receives info from my comp at regular
> intervals, but its IP address changes often; not the two first parts,
> 24.201, but the rest yes. I tried using the sygate help guide, but it
> is ashamedly pretty well greek to me.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean the IP from the ISP changes each
time you connect to the ISP?

> Is there anyone who can tell me, step by step, how to direct sygate to
> accept my internet provider as acceptable in all situations, instead
> of a menace? If not, can someone provide me the name of another free
> firewall application that would be easier for me to comprehend?

What O/S are you using?

Duane :)
May 30, 2004 3:44:36 AM

In article <zu5uc.144540$zG3.1717209@wagner.videotron.net>, shazzam@videotron.ca says...
> Hello, my sygate personal firewall version 5.5 build 2525 functions well,
> but there is an annoying problem. My internet provider is videotron.ca and I
> have an extreme high speed connection. Naturally, the provider sends and
> receives info from my comp at regular intervals, but its IP address changes
> often; not the two first parts, 24.201, but the rest yes. I tried using the
> sygate help guide, but it is ashamedly pretty well greek to me.
>
> Is there anyone who can tell me, step by step, how to direct sygate to
> accept my internet provider as acceptable in all situations, instead of a
> menace? If not, can someone provide me the name of another free firewall
> application that would be easier for me to comprehend?
>
> Thank-you and have a great day!

Hi William,
I don't fully understand your problem but in Sygate if you want to
connect to a range of IP addresses on all ports and protocols,
create an advanced rule.
Go to Advanced Rules | Add
Fill out the tabs as follows:
General
Rule Description: (you name the rule)
check Allow traffic
Host
check IP Addresses
Enter 24.201.nnn.nnn-24.201.nnn.nnn
(you would neeed to get the range of addresses from your ISP)
Ports and Protocols
Protocol: All
Click O.K.
See if that will work.
Casey
May 30, 2004 3:59:06 AM

Casey <casey@nosuch.net> wrote in

> In article <zu5uc.144540$zG3.1717209@wagner.videotron.net>,
> shazzam@videotron.ca says...
>> Hello, my sygate personal firewall version 5.5 build 2525 functions
>> well, but there is an annoying problem. My internet provider is
>> videotron.ca and I have an extreme high speed connection. Naturally,
>> the provider sends and receives info from my comp at regular
>> intervals, but its IP address changes often; not the two first parts,
>> 24.201, but the rest yes. I tried using the sygate help guide, but it
>> is ashamedly pretty well greek to me.
>>
>> Is there anyone who can tell me, step by step, how to direct sygate
>> to accept my internet provider as acceptable in all situations,
>> instead of a menace? If not, can someone provide me the name of
>> another free firewall application that would be easier for me to
>> comprehend?
>>
>> Thank-you and have a great day!
>>
> Hi William,
> I don't fully understand your problem but in Sygate if you want to
> connect to a range of IP addresses on all ports and protocols,
> create an advanced rule.
> Go to Advanced Rules | Add
> Fill out the tabs as follows:
> General
> Rule Description: (you name the rule)
> check Allow traffic
> Host
> check IP Addresses
> Enter 24.201.nnn.nnn-24.201.nnn.nnn
> (you would neeed to get the range of addresses from your ISP)
> Ports and Protocols
> Protocol: All
> Click O.K.
> See if that will work.
> Casey

You do know by setting that kind of rule for those IP(s) to accept at the
FW, you might as well not have a FW. That's because anyone else on the
ISP's network that gets an IP in the range of those IP(s) could possibly
have access to the OP's computer, since the FW has a rule to accept them.
:)

Sygate may have IDS and is good but it's not that good. :)

Duane :)
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 8:19:33 PM

William Pelchat said in
> Hello, my sygate personal firewall version 5.5 build 2525 functions
> well, but there is an annoying problem. My internet provider is
> videotron.ca and I have an extreme high speed connection. Naturally,
> the provider sends and receives info from my comp at regular
> intervals, but its IP address changes often; not the two first parts,
> 24.201, but the rest yes. I tried using the sygate help guide, but it
> is ashamedly pretty well greek to me.
>
> Is there anyone who can tell me, step by step, how to direct sygate to
> accept my internet provider as acceptable in all situations, instead
> of a menace? If not, can someone provide me the name of another free
> firewall application that would be easier for me to comprehend?
>
> Thank-you and have a great day!

Don't use sygate but I would suspect most firewalls actually allow you
to define rules, so you could define a rule to permit inbound initiated
connections from the IP range for your ISP. However ...

Just because the inbound IP address is one that is allocated to your ISP
doesn't mean it is from your ISP. Could be from another of their
customers. After all, the IP address their DHCP server assigned to you
was also in their allocated IP address range. So it could be another
customer of your ISP trying to hack into your computer.

Why do you need to let your ISP (or any other customer of theirs)
monitor and hack into your computer? Did your contract with your ISP
require that they be allowed to spy on your system and/or intranetwork?

*** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.