FF III remake for DS

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

Square Enix is bringing out a Final Fantasy III remake to Nintendo DS.
It's the true FF III, originally the last FF on the 8-bit Famicom, not the
American SNES FFIII which was really FFVI.

As far as I know, Final Fantasy III has never been officially translated to
english and released in the west. not counting translated roms.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5694

http://spong.com/detail/news.asp?mode=news&type=n&cid=&pid=&vid=&prid=7754&n=DS+gets+its+second+Final+Fantasy+title+

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/07/news_6109869.html
15 answers Last reply
More about remake
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

    "Xenon" <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com> wrote in message > As far as I know, Final Fantasy III has never been officially
    translated to
    > english and released in the west. not counting translated roms.

    Wasn't there a PS1 version? Or was that something else...?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

    menu boy wrote:
    > "Xenon" <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com> wrote in message > As far as I
    > know, Final Fantasy III has never been officially translated to
    >> english and released in the west. not counting translated roms.
    >
    > Wasn't there a PS1 version? Or was that something else...?

    Final Fantasy II (Famicom - never released in America) was released as part
    of Final Fantasy Origins for the PS1.

    There was also a PS1 version of FF6 (FF3 on the SNES), as part of Final
    Fantasy Anthology. FF3 (on the Famicom) has never been released in America,
    though.

    Squaresoft's renaming of the SNES games really made a mess out of all this.
    --
    White Mage: "You are steeped in wisdom, Black Belt."
    Black Belt: "Yeah, I sweat wisdom for breakfast."

    > Square Enix is bringing out a Final Fantasy III remake to Nintendo DS.
    > It's the true FF III, originally the last FF on the 8-bit Famicom, not the
    > American SNES FFIII which was really FFVI.
    >
    > As far as I know, Final Fantasy III has never been officially translated
    > english and released in the west. not counting translated roms.
    >

    > http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5694
    >
    > http://spong.com/detail/news.asp?mode=news&type=n&cid=&pid=&vid=&prid=7754&n=DS+gets+its+second+Final+Fantasy+title+
    >
    > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/07/news_6109869.html

    Very nice. Now let's get that FF3 (US) remake and it'll all be good.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

    Mike Tyndall wrote:

    > Squaresoft's renaming of the SNES games really made a mess out of all
    > this.

    That wasn't Squaresoft. Nintendo insisted on it, so North American
    purchasers wouldn't find out why they didn't have access to the entire
    series. (Nintendo of America wanted rights to the characters to use them
    as mascots, and Squaresoft understandably denied them this.) Nintendo even
    asked them to release FFVII as FFIV on the PSOne when that came out, and
    Squaresoft flat out refused. This is when many North American buyers found
    out what was going on.

    Yes, the wrong numbering made a mess, but blame Nintendo instead of
    Squaresoft.

    --
    - Blaine

    http://www.bureau42.com
    ICQ: 24893016

    All that glitters is not gold, but at least it contains free
    electrons.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    W. Blaine Dowler wrote:
    > Mike Tyndall wrote:
    >
    >> Squaresoft's renaming of the SNES games really made a mess out of all
    >> this.
    >
    > That wasn't Squaresoft. Nintendo insisted on it, so North American
    > purchasers wouldn't find out why they didn't have access to the entire
    > series. (Nintendo of America wanted rights to the characters to use
    > them as mascots, and Squaresoft understandably denied them this.)
    > Nintendo even asked them to release FFVII as FFIV on the PSOne when
    > that came out, and Squaresoft flat out refused. This is when many
    > North American buyers found out what was going on.
    >
    > Yes, the wrong numbering made a mess, but blame Nintendo instead of
    > Squaresoft.

    I had thought that it was Nintendo's fault, but a website I was reading a
    few days back (might have been toastyfrog.com, but I'm not sure) said
    Squaresoft renamed them. Thanks for the correction.
    --
    //mike tyndall
    "They may be monsters, but they're *sea* monsters.

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:12:15 -0500, "Xenon" <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com>
    wrote:

    >Square Enix is bringing out a Final Fantasy III remake to Nintendo DS.

    It's about time. Of course, they're putting it on the DS instead of
    the GBA probably due to a deal made with Nintendo, and there's no sign
    of it coming out in a cheap compilation like the other FFs. But that
    just goes along with Square's recent trend of focusing on profit to
    the exclusion of everything else.

    Rob
    ploovTeHSPaeMBLoKuR@charter.net

    --

    Owner of 2501 Netstalker Points awarded by Corwin of Amber, mainly
    because Atma's just too damn attractive to get away from.

    Gave 7499 Netstalker Points to Cypher because there's no such thing as
    a good day on AGFF without JT bashing!

    Owner of David Watson, rec.arts.anime.misc

    "[Bush] stayed at home and did nothing. Except single handedly save
    the country from a Columbian invasion by preventing them from being
    bankrupted and getting all pissed and attacking America as a last
    resort."
    --John Cable, LJ entry on August 24
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

    "Rob Browning" <pluvius3@hotmail.com> wrote

    > But that
    > just goes along with Square's recent trend of focusing on profit to
    > the exclusion of everything else.

    hahaha
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

    Does anyone know if and when the DS will be brought out in the UK?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

    Rob Browning <pluvius3@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > But that
    > just goes along with Square's recent trend of focusing on profit to
    > the exclusion of everything else.

    So does Final Fantasy Mystic Quest but it isn't recent

    --
    You just faced down the SEV SEV SILVERGUN
    !!!!! posted by SEV SILVERGUN

    I never considered Mystic Quest a cash grab at all. It was marketed and
    clearly described as being an RPG for those who've never played RPGs.
    It was easy - not that I ever considered most RPGs to be at all hard -
    so that those new to the genre could get a taste and see if they were
    into it. Not only that, but I really don't think Square, at the time
    when Mystic Quest came out, was in any position to waste time in design
    and development on anything they didn't think would be hits.

    I also can't consider an FF3 remake to be a cash grab, since it's never
    been released outside of Japan. It's a very new game to those in North
    America. And a good one at that. I'm glad to hear about it.

    Seven Silvergun wrote:
    > Rob Browning <pluvius3@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >

    >>But that
    >>just goes along with Square's recent trend of focusing on profit to
    >>the exclusion of everything else.
    >

    > So does Final Fantasy Mystic Quest but it isn't recent

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

    On 10 Oct 2004 20:28:12 GMT, Seven Silvergun
    <sevensilvergun@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Rob Browning <pluvius3@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> But that
    >> just goes along with Square's recent trend of focusing on profit to
    >> the exclusion of everything else.
    >
    >So does Final Fantasy Mystic Quest but it isn't recent

    But FFMQ was worth playing when it came out, so I'm not sure how that
    counts as an example. Also, one exception doesn't disprove the rule.
    I also doubt FFMQ was an example in which Square even approached
    valuing profit to the exclusion of all other considerations, since the
    reason that game was so simple is because the Japanese think that
    Americans are stupid.

    Rob
    ploovTeHSPaeMBLoKuR@charter.net

    --

    Owner of 2501 Netstalker Points awarded by Corwin of Amber, mainly
    because Atma's just too damn attractive to get away from.

    Gave 7499 Netstalker Points to Cypher because there's no such thing as
    a good day on AGFF without JT bashing!

    Owner of David Watson, rec.arts.anime.misc

    "[Bush] stayed at home and did nothing. Except single handedly save
    the country from a Columbian invasion by preventing them from being
    bankrupted and getting all pissed and attacking America as a last
    resort."
    --John Cable, LJ entry on August 24
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:04:12 GMT, ethan
    <ethan@no.f---ing.spam.batterypowered.org> wrote:

    >I also can't consider an FF3 remake to be a cash grab, since it's never
    >been released outside of Japan. It's a very new game to those in North
    >America. And a good one at that. I'm glad to hear about it.

    Except that anyone who has a computer that's powerful enough to even
    connect to the modern Internet can play a translated FF3 for free, and
    it's been available for quite some time now. And the game itself is
    about 15 years old. Even Interplay (or whoever buys the rights after
    they go bankrupt) would have a hard time selling the best game ever
    made by itself for $20, and it's only five years old.

    Rob (That's Planescape: Torment, if you didn't know)
    ploovTeHSPaeMBLoKuR@charter.net

    --

    Owner of 2501 Netstalker Points awarded by Corwin of Amber, mainly
    because Atma's just too damn attractive to get away from.

    Gave 7499 Netstalker Points to Cypher because there's no such thing as
    a good day on AGFF without JT bashing!

    Owner of David Watson, rec.arts.anime.misc

    "[Bush] stayed at home and did nothing. Except single handedly save
    the country from a Columbian invasion by preventing them from being
    bankrupted and getting all pissed and attacking America as a last
    resort."
    --John Cable, LJ entry on August 24
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

    more info:

    "FFIII to DS is not a port, and it will take advantage of some DS
    capabilities like touchscreen & wireless functions. We have no idea how
    Square-Enix will use them though. FFIIIj will on top of that get a great
    boost visually. We have no pics as of now, but we will keep you updated."

    translated from here: http://www.gamecore.se/read_nyhet.php?id=5433
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > Rob (That's Planescape: Torment, if you didn't know)

    That's just about almost correct. It's Fallout. ;) Teehee.

    Jammet
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes
    Samantha wrote: news:ck6ti4$m1k$1@titan.btinternet.com

    > Does anyone know if and when the DS will be brought out in the UK?

    Tomorrow, the same day as Red Nose Day.

    --
    Talk About Network is denied permission to reproduce this post.

Games Final Fantasy Video Nintendo Video Games