Sign in with
Your question

Water Cooling Questions

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2003 12:36:12 AM

I recently upgraded my processor and case to an Athlon XP 3000+ Barton and a Lian Li PC6070A in an attempt to help dampen the noise on my system as I prepare to head off to college (Plus I needed a smaller case anyways, haha). My old setup was rather loud and I don't want to disturb my roommate when I end up leaving my computer on all night as I usually do. Soo, when I was upgrading and swapping my computer parts around I kept this in mind. When I put everything together and fired it up my processor was running a tad on the hot side (52C idle) but made quite a bit of noise. Note - my heatsync/fan is a Vantec Aeroflow http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030113/cooler5-33.htm.... I had originally used it on my older XP 2000+, but decided to give it a try on the new processor. With the case doors off I can get the temperature down to a respectable 40C (idle), but the noise is louder, and it won't be safe to leave the side open in college. The only noise problem is the CPU's cooling solution. It seems theres a bit of a hot zone in the upper corner where the chipset, cpu, gpu, and ram is located, and I've tried to ventilate this area... but I have 3 CD/DVD-ROM devices, 3 HDs, and a Floppy, and as you can imagine the inside is rather crowded. I was thinking maybe I could swap the fan on the heatsync to quiet it down, but the fan is an irregular 70mm, and I cant find any replacements except the YS tip magentic drive fan that it came with, haha. Besides, I'm moving off to Cali for college, down near LA, and the dorms won't exactly be cool - they dont have A/C and yea, I figure the little heat build up will be worse, and a less powerful fan won't help. Due to the warmer climate I decided that maybe a watercooling system will help keep the temperature low, even with hotter weather. So, to cut a long story somewhat shorter, I think I need to get a watercooling rig going (unless anyone can think or any suggestions).

Money is kind of an issue, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, and noise is an important issue... and ofcourse, temperature is, haha. I was looking around and I noticed the Exos (Coolance, I think it was) and Corsair's HydroCool200. Both looked decent, except as I said, sound is an issue, and the HydroCool is LOUD and so is the Exos, or so I read. Besides, I've seen issues with the hydrocool "the tubes are too small, too many right-angle bends, not enough flow" yadda yadda... so those were on my ming, but then I thought maybe I could build a DIY watercooling system and get better results, at a similar (hopefully cheaper) price, with a lot less noise. Note - since there isn't much room in the case I will build my own external watercooling system (if I decided to go DIY).

Anyhow! Sorry to make you guys read all that. Any suggestions and hints are greatly appreciated!
August 24, 2003 4:51:39 AM

Always go with DIY. It's cheaper and you can build it to fit your needs.

For a radiator, I use the heater core from a 1978 Cadillac ElDorado. 2 120mm fans running at 7v provide near dead silent airflow, and fit perfectly onto the radiator with a simple fanshroud (note that this rad cannot fit into the case). All that keeps my O/C'd 2600+ about 3-5*C above room temp.

In the winter time, I simply turn off the radiator fans. My antec true power PSU is very silent when cool. So 6 months out of the year, my computer make no detectable noise.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2003 5:14:39 AM

I suppose if I went Watercooling, I'd go that way full as I could. I'd put on a CPU waterblock, a chipset waterblock, and do they make RAM waterblocks? Well, screw the RAM, its just 1 stick of Corsair 512 DDR333 CL2.0 - it doesn't get hot.. just slightly warm to the touch.. no biggie. As for the GPU, I dont kno about that one, I have the MSI FX5600, and its got a lot of heatsync on it, I think I'll just leave it alone.

Though I am bulding the watercooler outside of the case in its own box, I would like to keep the size (and overall price) to a minimum. Oh, seeing as how I'm not O/Cing and don't want to spend a lot, I don't need to over-do it on the parts.

So, with that in mind (in addition to the slience.. silence is key), what parts suggestions do you guys have?

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2003 11:43:16 PM

I suppose if I went Watercooling, I'd go that way full as I could. I'd put on a CPU waterblock, a chipset waterblock, and do they make RAM waterblocks? Well, screw the RAM, its just 1 stick of Corsair 512 DDR333 CL2.0 - it doesn't get hot.. just slightly warm to the touch.. no biggie. As for the GPU, I dont kno about that one, I have the MSI FX5600, and its got a lot of heatsync on it, I think I'll just leave it alone.

Though I am bulding the watercooler outside of the case in its own box, I would like to keep the size (and overall price) to a minimum. Oh, seeing as how I'm not O/Cing and don't want to spend a lot, I don't need to over-do it on the parts.

So, with that in mind (in addition to the slience.. silence is key), what parts suggestions do you guys have?

Thanks!
August 25, 2003 4:17:57 PM

DIY might be kind of a pain in this case, because you'd have to build your own box and make sure you could fit all of the parts in it. And if you're not overclocking, a retail kit will definitely fit your needs, as long as it's not expensive. The problem is that the overclockers site is down (they're having problems because they're based in New York, or at least their server is, and ever since the power outtage things haven't been right). They have a great comparison of retail watercooling kits, and always comment on the noise level. When that comes back up, you can go to <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/&lt;/A> to see what you need.
I don't read much on retail kits so I can't just recommend one, but I think it's going to be much less of a pain than DIY, in this case.

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$3 R 8310N6 2 U$</A>
August 25, 2003 9:24:14 PM

Good news, overclockers seems to be back up, and both the Corsair and Koolance EXOS kits seem to be good choices. Newegg has the Corsair Hydrocool for $235 shipped, the cheapest on pricewatch was $220, but check that supplier on <A HREF="http://www.resellerratings.com" target="_new">reseller ratings</A> before buying there. Also, when price hunting for the EXOS, note that you have to buy a waterblock for it as well, since the kit by default does not come with one.

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$3 R 8310N6 2 U$</A>
!