Console Gaming VS Pc Gaming

khzak

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hi, I am soon going to buy a PS3 but I am not sure if I should buy a PS3 or just build a custom PC or buy one and play PC games on that? People say that PC has to upgrade the whole entire system to play new games but the PS3 is also 6 years old. I don't care to much about the price but more for what I get for the buck.

Solution
It's not just that PC is an upgrade (it is in every imaginable way by a factor of 2 just to clarify) but it's also the fact that you can continue to upgrade components of your PC as necessary. Resolutions are starting to go up again and quite frankly, by the time the next-gen consoles are out and ready to brag that they finally have true 1080 graphics (which PC's have had for years), there's a good chance people might be playing more commonly at 1600 resolution.

Consoles will always be behind the curve. The only way for consoles to get ahead in the game market would be for developers to simply abandon PC gaming entirely, which they won't. For all the shouting about piracy that goes on with PC gaming (and goes on with console gaming as...

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
It's not just that PC is an upgrade (it is in every imaginable way by a factor of 2 just to clarify) but it's also the fact that you can continue to upgrade components of your PC as necessary. Resolutions are starting to go up again and quite frankly, by the time the next-gen consoles are out and ready to brag that they finally have true 1080 graphics (which PC's have had for years), there's a good chance people might be playing more commonly at 1600 resolution.

Consoles will always be behind the curve. The only way for consoles to get ahead in the game market would be for developers to simply abandon PC gaming entirely, which they won't. For all the shouting about piracy that goes on with PC gaming (and goes on with console gaming as well), PC is still extremely profitable due in part to the fact that a person who builds a $1000+ gaming rig is probably the kind of person who can afford to buy a fair amount of games on a whim.

Solution

khzak

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Is there a REALLY good tutorial on how to build a custom pc?

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
Check this one out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

And here is the build i reccomend you buy

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Xigmatek ASGARD PRO (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $887.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-25 09:56 EST-0500)

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

You can start by just researching what is hot after maybe looking at some builds that people will begin to post for you in this thread. As far as how to actually assemble a custom PC, there are TONS of youtube videos describing how to do it. You can find an answer to every assembly question imaginable on youtube and you can educate yourself in the process so you come out with a nice computer and a better perspective of how it actually functions.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

The H80 or H100 are "better" than a Hyper 212, but a Hyper 212 costs less than half as much and works very well. In my case I have a custom fan setup to go with my cooler and I like the waterblock because it saves space inside my computer for modding, but there is nothing wrong with a Hyper 212 and there are several other air-cooling variations in the 212's price range that work equally as well or slightly better than the 212 now. Any aftermarket cooler is going to allow you to overclock to some extent. The biggest factor for normal users is what CPU are they using and how hot does it get/can it get?

My OC is for my own reasons, and I could game at about the same output with an overclock of 4.5ghz just as easily. Don't get too wrapped up in exactly how high people are overclocking. That is an extension of the hardware's capability more than user expertise.

khzak

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

The liquid cooling is MUCH easier to install than putting on thermal paste which can damage your cpu if you don't install it properly?

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

not always true.

a lot of cpu coolers come with thermal paste pre-applied

yes it might not be the best but its not bad these days

besides putting thermal paste on is not that difficult, how hard is it to put a little blob on the cpu and spread it.

remember to clean the top of the cpu first if it has ever had a cooler etc on it before

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Liquid cooling still has a heatsink which still has thermal paste applied to it. It's easier to build around because a waterblock (the part that has the heatsink and sits on top of the CPU) is just physically much smaller than a big air cooler. This is a personal preference thing.

khzak

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

What is the case you have for your pc? I think the water cooling feauture is better since you don't have to apply the thermal paste but the hyper 212 you do.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

you have to apply thermal paste to all cooling solutions unless you sink the whole computer in oil etc

a lot of coolers have thermal paste pre-applied

its up to you whether you want to use water cooling or air cooling.