unlocking an athlon

REDmosquito

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
I just started overclocking and have had good results so far. I have an asus a7v133 athlon 1ghz oc'd to 1180mhz 512 meg pc133ram oc'd to 157. Anyway my ram is remarkably stable but i would rather run it at a base 133 speed, and use the clock multiplier rather than fsb. But it wont allow me. is there a way to muck with the processor so i can use that first multiplier? I have heard something about using a graphite blank from a lead pencil, but that sounds a little sketchy to me. And i have no idea what to do with the lead, anyone know? I also tried to get the fsb up to 133 to match the ram but thats 330 mhz increase on the cpu and it didnt boot. I dont really want to increase the vcore, i am at about 55 to 56 celcius now after gaming and not really sure how much heat the thing can handle.

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/triumph_mod" target="_new">The Game Club</A> <font color=red>is a hangout for gamers who play multiple titles and want a lenient community to discuss whatevers on their mind</font color=red>

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Yep. Just a pencil. Here's what you do.

Take off your HSF and take CPU out of machine. Locate your L1 set of bridges. Connect each dot to the one directly across from it. If some of the bridges are already connect then just leave them. The goal is to have all bridges connected. If all four bridges are closed (connected) and your bios allows it (I'm assuming yours does) you'll have access to the multiplier. Be CAREFUL when connecting the bridges. If you connect bridges next to one another your chip is likely dead. With your chip, you will probably want to lower the multiplier and increase the FSB speed to maximize performance. Just be careful again not to fry anything, b/c upping the FSB also OC's the PCI/AGP buses. If you need anything else, repost. BTW, depending on the OC success of your chip, and your reason for OC-$ flow issues or just for fun, you might check out pricewatch.com or other low price engines because Athlon 1.3 Ghz can be found for under $50.

REDmosquito

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
Its adjustable through the bios provided the dip switches are left in the factory defaults which they are. I guess it can be oc'd by just using the switches but of course its a lot easier to do it on screen, and it offers more control than the switches do. I was considering a purchase of an entirely new mobo ram cpu combo but i have been laid off recently and dont have a lot of extra cash to throw around. I have had some pretty decent success oc'ing it so far. The cpu is clocking in at 180mhz over and the ram is running at 157 as opposed to 133. Its been in this config for a couple of days now and i havent had one lock up, the heat is between 55 and 58. I also havent neede to increase the vcore at all so thats a good thing i guess. I may try the pencil thing but i dunno if i need to. I have gotten a little over 500 more points to my 3dmark score and its stable and not really any hotter than it used to be. So i may quit while i'm ahead and just wait for my work to pick up and get a new setup altogether.

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/triumph_mod" target="_new">The Game Club</A> <font color=red>is a hangout for gamers who play multiple titles and want a lenient community to discuss whatevers on their mind</font color=red>

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Yeah, unless you're just doing it for fun, you're right to quit while you're ahead. It's unlikely that you'll get substantially more out of her. Plus 18% over stock speeds with no vcore adjustment is pretty good. I'd say stand pat and enjoy your Athlon 1.18 Ghz