Nosugref

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2002
I have been thinking about ways to cool my cpu better than it already is and one easy cheap thing keeps popping to mind, but I'm not sure if it would work or not, so I'll run it by you guys and maybe some of you have done it already or know something I don't.
I was thinking about buying one of the mini refridgerators and just placing my whole cpu case and everything inside it. Granted you would have to get one that wouldn't frost or perhaps turn it up so it never got that cold. it wouldn't be fancy but it would serve the purpose wouldnt it? say you got it down to 40 degrees inside the fridge wouldn't that lower the system temp as well as the cpu temp say 30 degrees based on a 70 degree room temperature.

thanks for any future input.

Devin

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
you put your rig in a fridge... then how are you going to access it???

Me fail English? That's Unpossible!
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
I was thinking about buying one of the mini refridgerators and just placing my whole cpu case and everything inside it. Granted you would have to get one that wouldn't frost or perhaps turn it up so it never got that cold. it wouldn't be fancy but it would serve the purpose wouldnt it? say you got it down to 40 degrees inside the fridge wouldn't that lower the system temp as well as the cpu temp say 30 degrees based on a 70 degree room temperature.
Using refridgerators is a bad idea, & the reason why is that they're only designed to run in bursts, not continously. Putting a system that continously generates heat inside a refridgerator will break the thing.

A far better idea is to use an air-conditioner, if only because they're specifically designed to run continously :).

And while you're at it, you should also invest in a dehumidifier ;).

-----
<A HREF="http://www.khmercity.com/city_music//Kerpal Comedy@@ kick my dog~ :)/Jerky Boys - Kerpal - Airport Pakistani And Hindi Fight.mp3" target="_new">I'm going to get you, you bastard guy</A>.

Enko

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2003
just be careful of how cold the fridge gets. i saw a news post on an oc site a couple months ago where one guy had antifreeze liquid in his watercooling system and his comp was inside a freezer. he shut his computer down, forgetting that he has to leave it on to generate heat, and when he got back to his comp, all of his components were cracked from being frozen.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Forget it. Other people have posted this idea here.

Basically as to why it is a bad idea is this:

The fridge heat pump is not made to remove the amount of heat generated in ur case. If u put ur case in a fridge, pretty soon it would be an oven.

The loving are the daring!

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=669678#669678" target="_new"> cool fridge / freezer </A>

See if your freezer can remove couple hundred watts of heat. Put in 3 or 4 light bulbs for awhile and see how it goes. Maybe more for a stress test.

The loving are the daring!

Nosugref

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2002
Never thought of the fridge not handling it. I figured guys had thought of it before me but wanted some fresh input. Well thanks anyway I think im going to try it anyway if it doesn't help then what the hey I got a mini fridge in my room. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Devin

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
I saw a guy us a freezer to cool a computer. He used the freezer as a water reservoir, and the computer was outside the freezer.

snakie

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
When u place ur rig in da freezer / fridge:
ever thought of waterdamp when door is opened ??? short cirquit will be the result of opening the door !!! Ever seen a fridge that opens and closes often? There's ICE in it, only removable be de-icing...
wonder why he doesn't reply anymore...

<font color=orange>P4 2.4 @ 2.7, 512M PC4200 @ 1280 Mhz ATA133 RAID0</font color=orange> :eek: