Will AT&T Deal Mean 1900 in Florida

Last response: in Network Providers
a b F Wireless
April 23, 2004 1:12:49 AM

I was wondering if anyone know if the purchase of AT&T wireless will make
1900 available in South Florida. I have a P800 and I am dying to use it, but
I can't. I will have to sell it if the above will not happen.

Any info is appreciated.

More about : deal 1900 florida

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 25, 2004 10:07:12 AM

A very interesting question. Standard logic proposes that Cingular
keep ATTWS 800 mhz spectrum and sell the 1900 mhz spectrum for a nice
profit. This would add to their 800 mhz service currently serving
South Florida. Especially when building penetration is taken account,
800 mhz would be the choice. On the other hand, maybe the 1900 mhz
towers fill in the coverage area better than the 800 mhz towers.
Maybe they'll keep them all for better coverage or maybe the
government will make them shed some of them.

Chris

"George Lob" <george@magnum.com> wrote in message news:<lzWhc.7274$e4.4603@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> I was wondering if anyone know if the purchase of AT&T wireless will make
> 1900 available in South Florida. I have a P800 and I am dying to use it, but
> I can't. I will have to sell it if the above will not happen.
>
> Any info is appreciated.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 25, 2004 8:22:37 PM

>Standard logic proposes that Cingular
>keep ATTWS 800 mhz spectrum and sell the 1900 mhz spectrum for a nice
>profit.

Actually logic would dictate that they keep all the bandwidth that they can (or
are not forced to divest by the FCC) so that they can put on all the existing
customers and more new customers as time passes.

In the cellular/PCS industry, bandwidth is liike GOLD and all the companies
want all they can get. In this instance it is already bought and paid for so it
would be REALLY STUPID to give up any of it!

--
John S.
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Cingular doesn't have any areas that have both 800 mhz and 1900 mhz spectrum
that I know about. Taking that into consideration, Cingular logically would
keep the same frequency spectrum they have there now (800mhz) and sell the
other. There could be 4 bidders for the 1900 mhz: Verizon, T-Mobile, Metro
PCS and SprintPCS. All of them would like to get the extra spectrum in that
very crowded population base. This could bring a good influx into their
cash basis to offset the purchase of ATTWS.

Chris

"John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
> >Standard logic proposes that Cingular
> >keep ATTWS 800 mhz spectrum and sell the 1900 mhz spectrum for a nice
> >profit.
>
> Actually logic would dictate that they keep all the bandwidth that they
can (or
> are not forced to divest by the FCC) so that they can put on all the
existing
> customers and more new customers as time passes.
>
> In the cellular/PCS industry, bandwidth is liike GOLD and all the
companies
> want all they can get. In this instance it is already bought and paid for
so it
> would be REALLY STUPID to give up any of it!
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
April 26, 2004 8:01:17 AM

"Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
> Cingular doesn't have any areas that have both 800 mhz and 1900 mhz
spectrum
> that I know about.

Cingular has 850 and 1900 MHz in several markets: Indianapolis and Puerto
Rico, and at least one other that I can't recall at the moment...

---
MD
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2004 5:21:30 PM

They also have 1900 in some parts of Florida from what I hear.

"MD" <md@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
> > Cingular doesn't have any areas that have both 800 mhz and 1900 mhz
> spectrum
> > that I know about.
>
> Cingular has 850 and 1900 MHz in several markets: Indianapolis and Puerto
> Rico, and at least one other that I can't recall at the moment...
>
> ---
> MD

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2004 5:54:42 PM

>Cingular doesn't have any areas that have both 800 mhz and 1900 mhz spectrum
>that I know about.

Keep in mind that the amount of bandwidth translates directly into the number
of customers that they can put on without overloading the system. Selling the
ability to grow again would be pretty STUPID.

I stand by -