PRL Question

Last response: in Network Providers
May 19, 2005 3:57:17 PM

The are that I live in has weak, very tricky reception...

A few months ago, thinking perhaos I could alleviate that, I picked up the
Audiovox 9900/Tri-mode. Excellent phone. But I still dropped calls like
crazy from my house.

I did file a trouble ticket a few months back... Verizon Field Service
engineers reported their results a few weeks later..."No trouble found.
Normal parameters."

I was frustrated but sort of expected that...

Wearying of that experience, last month I bought the LXVX 8000. another
great phone..

I was pleasantly surprised, that for a digital phone, my reception at the
house improved at least 75%. I had not expected this. Areas around the house
were much stronger, signal-wise and I no longer dropped calls. I was
amazed..

I sailed happily along for about 3 weeks. Then I updated my PRL about 2
weeks ago.. The current version is 50314.

Now my reception has gone to Hell again. I drop calls left and right. And
signal strength in the house is only 1-2 bars where as before it was 3-4.

The only change I can think of is the updated PRL # 50314.

Might it benefit me to revert to an earlier PRL? Spent the day yesterday
calling all over town.. Only one Verizon store has an earlier PRL and that
is version 50292.

Can a PRL change have that much of an effect on reception or am I out in
left field here?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

More about : prl question

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:59:54 PM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:57:17 -0700, "Ballzo" <ballzo108@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>The are that I live in has weak, very tricky reception...
>

>A few months ago, thinking perhaos I could alleviate that, I picked up the
>Audiovox 9900/Tri-mode. Excellent phone. But I still dropped calls like
>crazy from my house.
>

>I did file a trouble ticket a few months back... Verizon Field Service
>engineers reported their results a few weeks later..."No trouble found.
>Normal parameters."
>
>I was frustrated but sort of expected that...
>

>Wearying of that experience, last month I bought the LXVX 8000. another
>great phone..
>

>I was pleasantly surprised, that for a digital phone, my reception at the
>house improved at least 75%. I had not expected this. Areas around the house
>were much stronger, signal-wise and I no longer dropped calls. I was
>amazed..
>

>I sailed happily along for about 3 weeks. Then I updated my PRL about 2
>weeks ago.. The current version is 50314.
>

>Now my reception has gone to Hell again. I drop calls left and right. And
>signal strength in the house is only 1-2 bars where as before it was 3-4.
>

>The only change I can think of is the updated PRL # 50314.
>

>Might it benefit me to revert to an earlier PRL? Spent the day yesterday
>calling all over town.. Only one Verizon store has an earlier PRL and that
>is version 50292.
>

>Can a PRL change have that much of an effect on reception or am I out in
>left field here?
>

>Any thoughts much appreciated.
>

>Thanks,
>

>Bill

The phone reputed to have the best reception is the Motorola V710.
That being said, the PRL should have nothing to do with your reception
in a native Verizon coverage area. It is for what its name says, which
is roaming.
May 20, 2005 1:34:28 AM

Bill,

I can't speak to your specific problem, but I do know that for anyone else
to try to analyze what happened, they'll need to know a couple of things
such as exactly where you live, what your Home SID is, and maybe what PRL
your new 8000 HAD before you updated it.

Unfortunately, many VZW reps parrot *228 (or is it 226?)
as the first stop for any problem. Quite often we've read stories here about
reps who recommended that as a fix for problems we know have NOTHING to do
with the roam list, such as when you're solidly in the middle of your home
area when the problem occurs. For instance--my home is in SID 22, my home
area, and I am at least 20 miles (plus a mountain range) away from the
nearest non-SID 22 area.
Therefore, if I have a problem at home, I KNOW it has nothing to do with the
PRL. Conversely, if you live on or near the border of your home SID, the PRL
may have EVERYTHING to do with the problem.

Unfortunately, you learned the hard way that PRL "updates" are prime
examples of "If It Ain't Broke......Don't Fix It".

If you post this information, you'll help everyone to try to help you...

HTH,
Dean
"Ballzo" <ballzo108@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The are that I live in has weak, very tricky reception...
>

> A few months ago, thinking perhaos I could alleviate that, I picked up the
> Audiovox 9900/Tri-mode. Excellent phone. But I still dropped calls like
> crazy from my house.
>

> I did file a trouble ticket a few months back... Verizon Field Service
> engineers reported their results a few weeks later..."No trouble found.
> Normal parameters."
>
> I was frustrated but sort of expected that...
>

> Wearying of that experience, last month I bought the LXVX 8000. another
> great phone..
>

> I was pleasantly surprised, that for a digital phone, my reception at the
> house improved at least 75%. I had not expected this. Areas around the
> house were much stronger, signal-wise and I no longer dropped calls. I was
> amazed..
>

> I sailed happily along for about 3 weeks. Then I updated my PRL about 2
> weeks ago.. The current version is 50314.
>

> Now my reception has gone to Hell again. I drop calls left and right. And
> signal strength in the house is only 1-2 bars where as before it was 3-4.
>

> The only change I can think of is the updated PRL # 50314.
>

> Might it benefit me to revert to an earlier PRL? Spent the day yesterday
> calling all over town.. Only one Verizon store has an earlier PRL and that
> is version 50292.
>

> Can a PRL change have that much of an effect on reception or am I out in
> left field here?
>

> Any thoughts much appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Bill

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 2:54:19 PM

If you are on your home network the PRL has nothing to do with the
problem. Perfer Roamer List (This can be a problem when leaving your
home network to another Verizon Wireless network or another provider).
If they tell you to do *228 option 1 that will update NAM1 and that
once in a great while can fix a problem. *228 option 2 on your home
network will never fix a problem.
If engineers are working on the network in your area they will just
cancel the trouble tickets and say network is normal. They should say
network is under contruction and will be normal soon. If can tell us
what city you are in we might get you more info.

--
agentHibby
May 21, 2005 4:12:21 PM

"agentHibby" <agentHibby.1pe2ty@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> If you are on your home network the PRL has nothing to do with the
> problem. Perfer Roamer List (This can be a problem when leaving your
> home network to another Verizon Wireless network or another provider).
> If they tell you to do *228 option 1 that will update NAM1 and that
> once in a great while can fix a problem. *228 option 2 on your home
> network will never fix a problem.
> If engineers are working on the network in your area they will just
> cancel the trouble tickets and say network is normal. They should say
> network is under contruction and will be normal soon. If can tell us
> what city you are in we might get you more info.
>

> --
> agentHibby

I live in Henderson, NV on the outskirts of Las Vegas. 89052 is the zip...

Historically, for whateber reason, this area has been extremely tough to get
a reliable wirless signal. I've gone through numerous carriers, and depsite
my current woes, Verizon is easily the best for pullling in a signal. If you
can't get a decent signal with Verizon, you definitely can't get a decent
signal with anyone else...

I have low-lying mountains to the southeast, 2 minutes from the house. The
homes are all 2 story.. I live at the end of the street on a cul-de-sac. To
the rear of the house is a small shopping center. Low in height, but still
higher than my house. I do alot of calling from the backyard which is under
a covered patio, block walls on all 4 sides. Looking at it logically, and
maybe I'm wrong, this area is in a "box" tough for any wireless signal to
penetrate.

I was grasping at straws about Preferred Raoming Lists... As I stated, my
previous phone, the Audiovox 9900, a tri-mode. Good phone, but had a high
drop ratio in the vicinity of the house. I was surprised with my new LG VX
8000 that it held on to a signal so well. For weeks I had no problems.
Strong signal, no dropped calls. I could not have been happier!! Then 2
weeks ago, I updated the PRL. From about that point on, performance seemed
to degrade sugnificantly. Lots of dead spots and a return to a high
perventage of dropped calls... Weather condititions haven't changed much and
I was at a loss trying to explain the sudden degradation of signal
quality... I realize there can be loads of mitigating factors here... it
didn't seem logical to me, but the only real change was updating the PRL.. I
thought that might have had something to do with it...

Thanks,