Overclocking the 2500 Barton

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
n00b questions...

With temperatures runnning round 45 degrees Celsius, at what settings will you actually start damaging your hardware?

In other words, what CPU voltage?
And what FSB and ratio?
Graphics voltage?
Memory voltage (with low end DDR400 installed)

Reason why I ask is because I purchased a Barton 2500, with Epox 8RDA and 2x256Mb DDR400. I've clocked the Barton up to 3200, with standard cooling and it runs at 45 degrees under load (about +4 more than when it was standard) It runs well, untill I use any 3d App. Then it freezes. The BIOS is updated. Oh yes, I use 200x11@1.7v, if that helps. I also have a Gainward GF3, not overclocked. I don't see the cooling as much of a problem. It might be a voltage setting. But up to what voltage can I safely play around with, as the only indication (???) is overheating. Or am I wrong? (Apart now from artifacts, etc) (And a nice big flat BSOD)

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
The visual artifacts are mainly 3D Cards overclocking issue. So, if you don't see any visual artifact, your 3d Card is OK. I usually DON'T overclock my 3D card, while I try to find the limit of my CPU. That way, you are sure that the instability comes from MEM/CPU/CHIPSET, not the GPU.

You can increase CPU voltage without problems. Try to increase by little increment to see if you get more stability.

For your memory, it's rated DDR400, so it should not be a problem. But you can increase the memory voltage by 0.1 Volt to see if this fix your instability.

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?