Sign in with
Your question

Skyrim keeps crashing

Last response: in Video Games
December 27, 2012 7:57:14 AM

Hi.

My Skryim keeps crashing for no reason. I installed it a few months ago onto my hard drive and I wish to play it again with a new save. However, it keeps crashing. None of the software or hardware has changed (apart from a new sound card). The game had zero problems when I last played it so I think it might be something to do with my sound card, which is a Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-Express Sound Card. Other games run fine and this is actually the first crash of a game I saw in the months I built the PC.

My spec is a i5 3570K Ivy Bridge @ 3.7GHz
HD 7850 @ 1040MHz
Gigabyte Z77 motherboard
8GB Corsair 16000MHz RAM
650W OCZ ZS Power Supply

The tempetures are fine and so are the overclocks (I had the same overclock when I last played the game). This is the only game which has crashing problems on my PC and I reguarly play BF3, World of Warcraft, Left 4 dead, Team fortress 2 etc

Thanks for your help.

More about : skyrim crashing

December 27, 2012 1:35:12 PM

Twirlz said:
Hi.

My Skryim keeps crashing for no reason. I installed it a few months ago onto my hard drive and I wish to play it again with a new save. However, it keeps crashing. None of the software or hardware has changed (apart from a new sound card). The game had zero problems when I last played it so I think it might be something to do with my sound card, which is a Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-Express Sound Card. Other games run fine and this is actually the first crash of a game I saw in the months I built the PC.

My spec is a i5 3570K Ivy Bridge @ 3.7GHz
HD 7850 @ 1040MHz
Gigabyte Z77 motherboard
8GB Corsair 16000MHz RAM
650W OCZ ZS Power Supply

The tempetures are fine and so are the overclocks (I had the same overclock when I last played the game). This is the only game which has crashing problems on my PC and I reguarly play BF3, World of Warcraft, Left 4 dead, Team fortress 2 etc

Thanks for your help.

You say that you have installed it two or more months ago, but yet the software hasn't changed? You are playing this on pc without any mods? I can't imagine playing Skyrim without at least some of the major mods on the Nexus or whatnot.

There has been at least one update since you played last, given your timeframe. It is possible that the game updated (therefore there would indeed be a software change), but the mods have not been updated. It is also possible that there are issues with your savegame, which is not uncommon with Bethesda. See if you can run a stable new game. Have you installed Dawnguard? There are issues with Dawnguard and savegames for some users.

If you can't run a new game stably, then either your mods are not up to date, your Skyrim game itself needs a fresh install (you can keep your saved games), or you should try to update the game if it already isn't patched to update 1.8.
!