Overclocking FSB and RAM?

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
If I overclock my FSB, does it automatically overclock my RAM? If so, should I buy the recommended RAM (DDR 400)for the MB, or should I buy faster RAM (say, DDR 500?) to run more efficiently at the higher speeds?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes.

Forget what's recommended speed for your board, run your memory at 1:1 ratio with the CPU bus. Buy RAM that will run the bus speed you want to overclock your CPU to.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
If your have a 2.53ghz p4 @ 133Mhz fsb.
And you have a 166Mhz RAM

Increase your fsb by 33Mhz and you'll get a sync fsb and ram.

<font color=red>If your nose <b>RUNS</b>, and feet <b>SMELL</b>.
Then you must be born <b>UPSIDE DOWN</b>.</font color=red>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
that mean if i have a 2.4C ghz P4 @ 200FSB, i should by a DDR400 RAM. But the problem is i qon't be able to overclock.

<font color=red>If your nose <b>RUNS</b>, and feet <b>SMELL</b>.
Then you must be born <b>UPSIDE DOWN</b>.</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have choices: Buy faster RAM, try overclocking the PC3200 (not likely to go very far though), or run your RAM clock out of synch (slower than your CPU bus) and live with the performance penalty.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

blackhades

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
When I increase the FSB on MSI 865PE-Neo2LS, the AGP bus an the PCI bus clock increase as well... Is there anyway I can increase FSB and have the AGP/PCI fixed at 66.6/33.3??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most newer boards support PCI and AGP clock "locked". I'm fairly sure that includes your board, look at your options in BIOS.

blackhades

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
aaaaARRRGGG....

I looked through my mother board manual, the options in the bios and I didn't find such an option.

I've read in the forum somewhere that sometimes certain buttom have to be pressed to open an advanced menu. Could that be the case for my mother board?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If we leave the thread open long enough, someone with more knowledge of the board will eventually see it!

blackhades

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Yah, I hope so...

Although I put my performance mode into SLOW when I was playing Battle field 1942 this afternoon and it kept crashing....