Sign in with
Your question

Best gamer headset ?

Last response: in Video Games
December 27, 2012 4:57:55 PM

Hello

I need a new headphone
These are the candidates after being all afternoon reading:

- Astro A40 2013: http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-audio-system-astro-editi... (better 2013 version or 2011 version?)
- Logitech G930; http://www.squidoo.com/top-gaming-headsets
- Corsair Vengeance 1500: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/surround-sound-head... (better 2000 version?)
- Creative RedCoon 3d: http://www.eurogamer.es/articles/creative-recon3d-omega...

Discarted
Becasuse I read in several places have interferences:
- Turtle Beach XP500: http://www.cnet.com....5808.htm # image3
I don't trust in:
- Sennheiser

It is important that I am a gamer (especially shooters) hardened and most important to me is q steps are heard, shots, etc. .. from various angles and with the best possible sound definition. The design, brand, price , color, comfort, weight, etc ... I do not care

What would you recommend me? Other suggestions are welcome but please ... no stereo only .. . only envolved sound

Thank you!

More about : gamer headset

December 31, 2012 4:03:08 PM

Hello Chascos69,

even though it is not on the list, I really suggest considering the Steelseries Siberia V2. Amazing headset.
February 7, 2013 7:29:43 PM

The Sennheiser its much much better than all of that headsets you put it there, the best of the list you type i think is the Astro A40, but! Sennheiser are better much better man... if you have the money to spend in Astro A40 go buy the PC 360 also you can buy the Audio Technica AD700 have the best soundstage positioning audio for like $120 or less then buy a zalman mic and your done.. dont buy that headsets like Astro, Razer, Steelseries, etc... buy a good headphones with a mic or the PC 350 or pc 360 thats just my opinion and you can check this page:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphon...

With only people who knows about Headphones.

PD: sorry for my bad english :) 
Related resources
February 7, 2013 10:38:23 PM

Check out the Plantronics GameCon 780. Great 7.1 surround and really good price. They got real decent reviews as well.
February 7, 2013 11:49:48 PM

Companies are developing and marketing mediocre hardware in the form of "headsets" and selling them directly to self-professed "hardened gamers".

This thread has come up plenty of times before, and the shorthand version of the answer is that if you are concerned with quality then you should avoid headsets and instead buy a pair of actual headphones, a soundcard with surround capability, and either a clip-on or desktop mic.

Plenty of reading material for anyone interested in learning more and perhaps making a better choice in the future:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphon...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-p...
February 8, 2013 6:37:26 AM

I have the corsair 1500's. Love them! I want the 2000... So if there anywhere near the quality of the 1500's sound, AND wireless... They would be absolutely perfect. So buy the 2000 and try them out, and tell me how they are. haha
February 8, 2013 5:44:22 PM

I have Razer Megalodons and they are epic. So confortable and amazing 7.1 sound.
February 9, 2013 6:08:38 PM

i believe in kenkou words
March 23, 2013 3:44:36 AM

I would recommend the Logitech G930 for gaming. It is a wireless headset which many might find that being more convenient. It has other customized buttons on the headset itself also.

Turtle Beach has another gaming headphones under the name Turtle Beach Ear Force z11. This one is pretty popular also so you might want to look into this one also.

Found this article which talks more about the best gaming headsets:
http://deviceraters.com/top-3-gaming-headset/
March 31, 2013 8:26:14 PM

Leif Lundberg said:
Hello Chascos69,

even though it is not on the list, I really suggest considering the Steelseries Siberia V2. Amazing headset.

+1
Steelseries Siberia v2 and Logitech G930 get my vote. :) 
April 5, 2013 1:57:43 AM

I recommend Logitech G930.
April 9, 2013 8:01:36 AM

I am in the same situation. Looking for a decent headset for gaming and I was looking at the Astro A40's. I am starting to be persuaded to go the classical route of just buying decent headphones with a really good sound card.

Check this video out. This guy apparently had the A40's and thought they were useless compared to the Audio Technica AD700 or Sennheiser PC360. I think a lot of this has to do with pc vs consoles. Consoles are limited and have no control so the mix amps with the A40's is the best for them. The PC have all the choice in the world so proper high quality sounding headphones with a good sound card will just out perform anything marketed towards the consoles (which most gaming headsets are, then adapted to pc later; example Astro A40's).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVme7rxdTLk
He got a lot of his info from http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphon... guide

Can anyone elaborate on what you actually need to be looking for in a good sound card when you're going this route. Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 or Dolby Digital Live? Headphone amps or not? How much do you need to spend to get high positional accuracy from the Audio Technical or Sennheiser headphones? How will this effect listening to music also?. Decent music that is... Anything from Classical music to Rock & Roll. Not the crap that's just bass or distortion ;) . I will probably get stick for that one.
April 9, 2013 9:36:29 AM

A good audiophile headset paired with a soundcard with Dolby headphone.
April 9, 2013 10:28:15 AM

I like my SteelSeries 5H V2...

The Siberia looks pretty cool and I've heard good things about Razer headsets.
April 10, 2013 5:25:59 AM

IMO, Corsair Vengeance 2000 is not a good choice.
My friends say it performs real bad. You might get the best bang for your buck with Steelseries Diablo 3 edition.

others that I recommend are: SteelSeries V2 FrostBite, Roccat Kave, Corsair Vengeance 1500 and Creative Tactic 3D Sigma.
April 10, 2013 6:13:50 AM

i have the G930's and they are indeed a good headset. easily the match of any corded headset although battery life is an issue if your like me and at your pc all day.
over 2 years the issues i have had are the foam covering disintergrated leaving just a material behind covering the rest of the cup. not a huge deal but pretty odd fault for such an expensive headset. although logitech did agree to RMA them as faulty for this. i decided that they audio wasnt broken so why bother... like i said i have had them 2 years, i use them every day, they get a full charge x2 a day(battery life is 10 hours) and the battery isnt showing any signs of zero pointing (where a rechargable battery must be fully drained before it will accept a new charge so it will hold said charge.
the next best headset is the stenhieser 555's or 558's if you can find em. failing that get a set of technica headphones and buy a clip on mic.

i know you say you dont trust stenhieser but they really do offer a good headset. yes they have a 10% fail but that aint as high as others just there disappointed owners were very vocal. so no its not that there a bad headset manufacturer just the people that buy em are vocal about faults. thats a good thing as it forces the manufacturer to improve or loose market share. so i would say stenhieser are a good brand and well worth a look.

from your list i have read good things about the astro 40's as i have of the others although to me creative would be a last choice. not because of sound quality (40mm nim dims means they will all sound reasonable) but there software is a joke as are there drivers.
April 10, 2013 9:43:56 AM

Do not buy steel series.

Logitech G35
June 7, 2013 10:12:50 AM

Sennheiser has amazing sound, I use HD555s with a ModMic/Soundblaster Titanium soundcard and they sound great. I also used a pair of Steelseries 5Hv2s for a long time and they were an excellent headset (lightweight, comfortable for pretty extended periods of time, etc) with great sound. The only problem with a lot of the good quality headphones is they are open backed, which leaks sound out/lets more sound in. The Audiotechnicas listed above have also been stated in numerous reviews to be very uncomfortable, even though they have great sound. A lot of the headphones with closed backs tend to be more bass heavy, which is not what you want if you want to hear things like footsteps and voices. If you don't need a closed back head set (i.e. you play somewhere quiet), the Sennheiser HD555/558s (same thing, 8s are new version) are excellent, comfortable headphones that will serve you well when paired with a mic.
August 27, 2013 4:56:52 AM

Definitely get the G930s
August 27, 2013 7:11:20 AM

ajl2011shooter said:
Check out the Plantronics GameCon 780. Great 7.1 surround and really good price. They got real decent reviews as well.

^ Outstanding headset.

August 27, 2013 7:48:35 AM

Razer tiamat 7.1. Loud,sound quality is amazing,comfortable and stops the missus from annoying you in game.
August 27, 2013 9:06:47 AM

Asus orion pro ftw. gotta great usb dongle soundcard for your fps needs.
had a few friends state that the razer tiamat was not worth it for a few reasons...
August 31, 2013 3:36:48 PM

there actually very good for gaming but also pretty damn expensive... utterly pointless if your running onboard audio to drive them.
September 1, 2013 1:59:02 AM

HEXiT said:
there actually very good for gaming but also pretty damn expensive... utterly pointless if your running onboard audio to drive them.

Im assuming you mean the razer's? lol if so even just running them with 2.1 they still sound good even better if you use there virtual 7.1 software

September 1, 2013 10:30:22 AM

i meant the technicas mate. around £180 in the uk. add in the price of a decent attachable mice and your close to £250
September 1, 2013 3:46:11 PM

i would reccomend siberia V2 without any hesitation
Using them with Razer surround software and its absolutely amazing! Plus you can find them at a really good price around 70euros i believe
September 1, 2013 6:08:37 PM

ajl2011shooter said:

I have it. It is a great headset. +1
September 2, 2013 2:25:22 AM

Im using Hifiman HE-400 with a dedicated headphone amp and a shure microphone.
So assuming you dont have a limited budget, you can get something really cool.
I agree on the fact that the headsets that are always shown to sponsor gaming teams and so forth are simply crap.

Funny that you dont trust sennheiser considering there are only two headsets out there id recommend (sennheiser PC350/360 or skullcandy SLYR).

Sennheiser is actually a professional company that makes aviation headsets, so they know their stuff.

Now that being said, there is no such thing as "best". Sound is subjective so you probably have your own opinion.
That means, that if you want to find out the "best" for you, you are gonna have to test them personally.

The secondary option is to but something based on what you see here, from opinions of people you dont know.

September 2, 2013 2:44:59 AM

Personally id never recommend skullcandys they break allmost as easily as turtle beaches
September 2, 2013 9:27:48 AM

yep, skullcandy are rubbish as are tutrle beach, bose and beats... most gaming headsets in the £50-£90 will give decent sound for gaming as long as they have at least 40mm nimdim drivers and support dolby
September 6, 2013 7:03:21 PM

I have a Plantronics Gamecom 780 and a Sennheiser PC 360. The only advantage the Sennheiser has is comfort and the mic is a TINY bit better. It's not worth paying the extra $100 for the PC 360. The Gamecom 780 in my opinion has much better sound. It's probably the best bang-for-your-buck headset you can get.
November 30, 2013 2:33:43 PM

ajl2011shooter said:

I got these a few days ago. The sound is great, but the mic is very weak. My friends all tell me they need to have their volumes on max in order to hear me, but my voice comes across super clear which is a bonus.
November 30, 2013 3:11:08 PM

I broke my Turtle Beach PX21 and went looking for a new set Thursday. I came home with a Turtle Beach Marvel Seven for $100 (50% off) at Bestbuy. From what I can tell, they are essentially the same as the standard SEVEN headset but with the Marvel bling.

It is not "7.1 surround" as it lacks the hardware dongle, but I connected to the 7.1 DSS from the PX21 and it really sounds nice. Then I hooked it up to the Realtek 1150 jacks on the mobo and all I can say is wow.

So, why is Turtle Beach "trash"? That sounds pretty subjective. Any specifics? The three sets we've had have been very good until I stepped on mine. I seriously doubt if a double blind test were done critics of this brand/model vs another brand/model could pick out the "best" one.

November 30, 2013 7:48:50 PM

40mm nimdim drivers tend to sound decent regardless of brand, thats not the issue with turtle beach. its the build quality and quality control. if your lucky you will get a pair of bins that sound good but more often than not they will last about 6 months before bits of plastic start stressing resulting in fractures and eventual breakage.
so i would say come back in about 6-8 months and tell us what happens to em.
December 1, 2013 3:05:37 AM

Now I'm even more confused ... XDXD

Ok then... finalist:
- Audio Technica AD700 is 'only' stereo...not envolved sound... maybe with it? https://www.astrogaming.com/mixamp%E2%84%A2-pro/3AM99-H...
- Plantronics Gamecom 780.. better than Sennheiser 360?
- Sennheiser 360 .. or sennheiser pc 363d?
- Logitech G930... or G930s?
- Siberia V2

December 1, 2013 7:35:09 AM

tecnicas are the best sounding of all of em. as for the 7.1 its emulated on all the rest. so any game that has its own audio engine will be able to deliver 7.1 even through the technicas.
December 24, 2013 9:09:27 AM

Cascos69, I see you mentioning the G930s, I've been looking for the regular G930 and wondered what the "s" was about. It seems this illusive new version is ghosting around on the internet but nobody really knows what it is about. Even logitech themselves are denying its existence. Do you have a story behind that?
January 9, 2014 6:17:29 AM

Mobedda said:
ajl2011shooter said:

^ Outstanding headset.

I did buy this headset. The first one, the mic didn't work well (apprently a common problem). The second pair, the speaker in my right ear blew so I had to return it. But they were AMAZING while they worked.... for 3 weeks. :(  I havn't gotten a new pair of the Planatronics 780 since.
January 9, 2014 8:53:28 AM

they were pretty decent for a few weeks. lots of positive reviews that dried up pretty quick.

@soko. there are 2 versions of the g930's neither of them are G930s. you have the older part and the newer refresh. both called G930.
at a guess your likely seeing some 1s bad spellins.

linus tech did a review of some wireless headsets a few weeks ago.
http://youtu.be/wI-6uYPrWbQ
http://youtu.be/8iK0SgBfQiQ
January 17, 2014 4:58:55 AM

I'm going to buy a new headset and have the same question, my options so far:

- SteelSeries Siberia Elite
- SteelSeries H Wireless
- Astro A50

Any suggestions?
January 29, 2014 1:41:46 PM

chascos69 said:
Hello

I need a new headphone
These are the candidates after being all afternoon reading:

- Astro A40 2013: http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-audio-system-astro-editi... (better 2013 version or 2011 version?)
- Logitech G930; http://www.squidoo.com/top-gaming-headsets
- Corsair Vengeance 1500: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/surround-sound-head... (better 2000 version?)
- Creative RedCoon 3d: http://www.eurogamer.es/articles/creative-recon3d-omega...

Discarted
Becasuse I read in several places have interferences:
- Turtle Beach XP500: http://www.cnet.com....5808.htm # image3
I don't trust in:
- Sennheiser

It is important that I am a gamer (especially shooters) hardened and most important to me is q steps are heard, shots, etc. .. from various angles and with the best possible sound definition. The design, brand, price , color, comfort, weight, etc ... I do not care

What would you recommend me? Other suggestions are welcome but please ... no stereo only .. . only envolved sound

Thank you!

Stay away from Astro for these reasons...

I have their latest A40 offering, problem is they only support surround sound if they are connect by Optical.

As soon as I started using them all my friends said my voice sound all muffled, and I've had them hooked up via (3) sources, and the mic sounds muffled on all three

Astro provides NO phone support, on email and its very slow, and you feel like your being put-off and made to jump through a bunch of unnecessary hoops. I've been trying to get my issues resolved for better than two months, and so far have made zero progress. Today I sent an email asking for a full refund.

They are well built, that is about the only good thing I can say about Astro.

My problem is, my high-end Asus gaming mobo uses Realtek on-board sound, and the Optical Out does not support surround, just simply basic stereo, really Realtek whoever heard of something so stupid!

I have my eye on the new ROCCAT Kave XTD 5.1 Digital, I just can't say enough good things about these people's products!

February 1, 2014 10:50:48 AM

thomasf94 said:
I have the corsair 1500's. Love them! I want the 2000... So if there anywhere near the quality of the 1500's sound, AND wireless... They would be absolutely perfect. So buy the 2000 and try them out, and tell me how they are. haha

I absolutely loved my 1500's, they are an amazing headset with fantastic sound and comfort. The lows were deep, the highs and mids were crisp and clean, and they were LOUD. The sound positioning was spot on. The software suite was simple, clean, and useful.

That being said, when my wife broke them, I decided to buy the 2000's. I mean, the only difference between the two was wireless capability right? Wrong. Even though they got mediocre reviews, I loved my 1500's so much that I decided to overlook them. Bad move. The reviews are absolutely true. the 2000's sound like crap, I can hum deeper lows, the highs and mids are mediocre at best, and even with everything turned up they are quiet as hell, to the point where you sometimes have to strain to hear dialogue. The materials are flimsy, I had to duct tape them back together once the cheap plastic holding the cup to the headband snapped (by putting it on my head). Don't even get me started on the abysmal software suite. For some reason understood only by God (maybe), they did away with the amazing Dolby Surround and replaced it with some 3rd party cheap POS knockoff. The result is that the only way to get halfway decent (and I do mean halfway) sound positioning, clarity, and volume is to use the DEFAULT WINDOWS DRIVERS. Otherwise, forget about hearing anything, its like someone whispering in your ear with their drivers. Its like they took everything that made the 1500's phenomenal and tossed it out the window. I wish I had either just bought another pair of 1500's, or gone with a different brand.
So to wrap it up, I STRONGLY suggest you either stay with your 1500's, or go with a different brand. Truthfully, I agree that if sound if absolutely important to you, then you follow the advice of people who know and get a good set of headphones, a microphone, and a good soundcard. I was trying to save a few bucks, but since tax return season is coming up and I'll be upgrading, I think that's the rout I'll take this time too. Hope this helps.
March 26, 2014 1:52:45 AM

Hello,
Choosing a gaming headset totally depends on gamer's personal choice and comfort. Honestly speaking every headphones for gaming that are available in the market are good. I personally think Sennheiser gaming headsets are really very good. Very recently sennheiser has launched a new gaming headset - G4ME™ ZERO. Its a good headphones. And before choosing your final headphone please go through some of the features that lend character to this new breed of gaming headsets and make them exclusive take into account: http://shop.sennheiserindia.com/blog/features-that-lend...
March 26, 2014 4:19:37 AM

daverichards1 said:
Hello,
Choosing a gaming headset totally depends on gamer's personal choice and comfort. Honestly speaking every headphones for gaming that are available in the market are good. I personally think Sennheiser gaming headsets are really very good. Very recently sennheiser has launched a new gaming headset - G4ME™ ZERO. Its a good headphones. And before choosing your final headphone please go through some of the features that lend character to this new breed of gaming headsets and make them exclusive take into account: http://shop.sennheiserindia.com/blog/features-that-lend...

razer timat 7.1 or kraklin 7.1
March 27, 2014 8:22:14 PM

Contact Casper @ http://www.head-fi.org/u/348881/ccasper-tfg. He'll mod any pair of headphones into a headset w/ microphone. He can also make dual sided headphones single sided and vice versa. And if you really want it he can make detectable cables. You can't go wrong with a completely customized headset.
!