A Liquid-cooled Wii in a Custom Aluminum Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I just came here to laugh at the pointlessness of this, but that's kind of sexy. wouldn't liquid cooling be put to better use in a PS3 or 360?

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
while it is nice, i've never heard of anyone overclocking their wii, and they've never really been known to overheat either, it's probably more suited for the Xbox 360 or PS3.

Though it is nice and i can appreciate it.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]I just came here to laugh at the pointlessness of this, but that's kind of sexy. wouldn't liquid cooling be put to better use in a PS3 or 360?[/citation]

Already been done(xbox and ps3)....this is the first custom Wii case I have seen...with water too. Probably the best console mod I have seen in a while.

chaoski

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Even if you did overclock it...Wii has 6-7 year old hardware.

Same goes for Xbox/PS2....you are talking 5 year old hardware.

Pointless

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]Looks really awesome. Shame he didn't put that effort into a real PC and just use Dolphin to emulate Wii games in beautiful 1080p.[/citation]
GASP! That's illegal! Do wii disks run backward like Gamecube disks? Is it possible to run wii disks on the emulator?

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Neat fab work on the Wii. I can appriciate the work the guy did there. Way more than the dime a dozen watercooled pcs with their guts slapped into a case made for watercooling. Wonder if it runs even 6* over ambient.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]GASP! That's illegal! Do wii disks run backward like Gamecube disks? Is it possible to run wii disks on the emulator?[/citation]
That they do, but if you can find one of the handful of dvd drives that are compatible (the drive has to be able to run backwards while reading) with some of the wii ripping software then you can copy the files to the pc and then use dolphin. But as you said it is illegal :(

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Crazy Idea here lol Console guys should make a great emulator for PC's of there current console that we can buy for say $150 ish maybe $100. Install to the PC and buy there game disks. Before ppl start saying why, I know the games would be lower than current PC games but there are of coarse exclusives ( Halo, Metal Gear) So they could make money selling the emulators and then the games. They would still sell consoles because not everybody likes gaming on a PC or has one that would run the games well. So they sell a combination of consoles/emulators and most likley more games? I know there would be pirate issues but there allready are and im guessing that it cant be to incredibly hard to make an emulator if your are the company that has full access to the software on the console itself.

neblix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I'm laughing at all the guys complaining about this being pointless.

OF COURSE it's pointless. It's a LIQUID COOLED WII.
The guy just wanted to have fun doing a cool case mod.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Wow... You people need to read the Work Log..

Angel did this purely "Because he could".

He acknowledged that the watercooling was more than a little OTT. But it was because it hasn't been done, and personally, I like it.

You may notice the Processor Waterblock is a little less than optimal *rolls-eyes*

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]chaoski[/nom]Even if you did overclock it...Wii has 6-7 year old hardware.Same goes for Xbox/PS2....you are talking 5 year old hardware.Pointless[/citation]
you need to check up on your research, the PS2 Was released in 2000 and Xbox in 2001, (2002 in north america) that is way more than 5 years, the Wii certainly has more horsepower than those two consoles.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
"you need to check up on your research, the PS2 Was released in 2000 and Xbox in 2001, (2002 in north america) that is way more than 5 years, the Wii certainly has more horsepower than those two consoles. "

No, no it doesn't. Xbox, like the Wii, has a ~733 MHz processor, and graphics capablilties that about match what the Wii has, and in some cases exceed it.
The graphics chips themselves are clock-for-clock comparable.

Quality of graphics for similar games on the Xbox exceed those of the Wii.

[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]Looks really awesome. Shame he didn't put that effort into a real PC and just use Dolphin to emulate Wii games in beautiful 1080p.[/citation]
he does in fact have a PC mod as well. Its a PC in a mac case. And one of the better ones(uses all the factory ports.)

Aionism

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]"you need to check up on your research, the PS2 Was released in 2000 and Xbox in 2001, (2002 in north america) that is way more than 5 years, the Wii certainly has more horsepower than those two consoles. "No, no it doesn't. Xbox, like the Wii, has a ~733 MHz processor, and graphics capablilties that about match what the Wii has, and in some cases exceed it.The graphics chips themselves are clock-for-clock comparable.Quality of graphics for similar games on the Xbox exceed those of the Wii.[/citation]
They're different types of processors. Anyone who goes to Tom's Hardware should know that there's much more to CPUs than clock speed.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
i fail to see the point unless you doing some low level component based overclocking to make mario run smoother?

Why can't someone do something just for the love of it? I expect he got great enjoyment from the project, and has got far more satisfaction from doing something rather than hanging around internet forums criticising others.

It's a beautifully rendered product, absolute top marksfor the mod!

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Yeah, 3 points for subject matter choice, a perfect 10 on design and assembly...Wish I had the money to hire this guy to redesign my man-cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.