Sign in with
Your question

Gaming headset, need help to choose. Do I need a sound card aswell??

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Headsets
  • Gaming
  • Sound Cards
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
December 27, 2012 6:45:50 PM

I am looking to buy new gaming headset. My old one is crapping out. I cant rly say that extra $$ isnt an issue but I am looking for buying a high end gaming headset. Doesnt have to be wireless but it can. Need something with great ambient sound suppression, clear mic and great sound.
Was looking into headset with 7.1 surround but dont know much about them, are they worth it? Sennheiser has few good looking choices, but i dont know much about other brands that give same/similar quality.

And would I need a sound card to fully use my headset? And if I do, how much increase in performance will I notice? This is my mobo http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX41310

Amy help would be appreciated.

More about : gaming headset choose sound card aswell

February 3, 2013 2:33:57 PM

there are few things you must know first about headsets>
1, there are very few true 7.1 headsets like razer tiamat 7.1
2, there are even less headsets, that use analogue connection /aka 5 coloured jacks/
3, even then, the sound quality per buck is way below your average headphones
4, the microphone is usually on /or a tad/ below par with a cheap clip-on mic
5, and USB sound-cards + headsets are even worse...
6, also 5.1 / 7.1 headsets are overrated :) 

ad sound cards>
the pros of a good dedicated sound card are:
crispier /more lively/ sound,
lot of fancy options
several FPS gain...
and not to mention - performance of high-end headset is very dependant on a good sound card - if you stick to your integrated buy the first <30 USD headset you see, because you will not hear the difference...

all in all...
a decent sound card with that razer headset will cost you around 300-400 USD, on the other hand SB titanium + standard audiophile headphones like grado 60i + some random clip-on mic will cost you half :) 
m
l
February 4, 2013 12:21:42 AM

Thank you for the reply (bit late :p ), but I bought Razer Tiamat 7.1 headphones. I did not get the sound card for them because I am not exactly sure what to get and I spent alot of money on my new PC so im saving up a bit :D 
I went on Razer website and they gave this list of "Recommended" sound cards for Tiamat 7.1 http://www.razerzone.com/tiamat/en/soundcards .
What do you think about some from this list, cause I dont rly know much about sound cards at all.
Thank you
m
l
!