Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will HD 7750 fry my new 300w core i3 computer?

Last response: in Video Games
December 27, 2012 8:50:28 PM

Okay, I've running an HD 7750 on a 300w Pentium Dual Core computer with no probs for months. But when I went to get my new i3 computer, the sales guy said the HD 7750 will fry a 300w computer. He said I should atleast get a 400 or something. But this is weird, since I've been running an HD 7750 on an old 300w Dell Inspiron for months.

I don't think the guy knows what TDP is.

So is the sales guy right will I fry my mobo or should I be able to use the HD 7750 with no probs?
December 27, 2012 8:52:48 PM

The sales guys is trying to make you spend the money unnecessarily. If it was up to me, I wouldn't buy anything from him for that :) .
December 27, 2012 8:56:12 PM

The sales guy is going off AMD's recommendations for a power supply. AMD and Nvidia both overestimate the power supply requirements because there are a lot of low quality PSUs out there that claim they can do 300 Watts, but really can't. The stock PSUs in most OEM machines are okay, and will deliver the wattage they state, so as long as it is a 300 Watt or higher power supply the 7750 will run fine. If you want to step up to a higher powered card though, you would have to get a bigger power supply.
Related resources
December 27, 2012 9:16:34 PM

Supernova1138 said:
The sales guy is going off AMD's recommendations for a power supply. AMD and Nvidia both overestimate the power supply requirements because there are a lot of low quality PSUs out there that claim they can do 300 Watts, but really can't. The stock PSUs in most OEM machines are okay, and will deliver the wattage they state, so as long as it is a 300 Watt or higher power supply the 7750 will run fine. If you want to step up to a higher powered card though, you would have to get a bigger power supply.

Okay I see the general answer here is that the 7750 will run fine. But is HP known for making quality 300w's or not?

This a newer computer though, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Best solution

December 27, 2012 9:18:33 PM

HP's power supplies will deliver what they promise in terms of wattage. You can stick the 7750 into the new computer and it will work fine. If you want to step up to a better video card, or want to stick in a ton of hard drives, you may want to get a bigger PSU though.
December 27, 2012 9:21:07 PM

Best answer selected by mike2012.
!