Sign in with
Your question

Could you guys look over this build for me please?

Last response: in Video Games
December 27, 2012 10:01:50 PM

Hey guys. Noobie here....in about every way possible. Always enjoyed the detailed GPU reviews on this site, so I thought I would finally join in the fray and try building a PC for gaming instead on blowing up store PC's.

I took a bit from here on a couple threads and some other site where they did a write up on budget gaming PC's and went with an AMD PC over an I5 for cost. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 550w Thermaltake PSU in my current PC. I thought I could just use that and save the money.

My gaming revolves around BF3 and some Planetside 2 and my current PC can't handle it. Just lagging bad. Too weak. I also play various MMO's here and there.

If you guys think I should go a different route, I would like to hear it.

This build on Newegg runs 690.00 without a PSU. Sorry....can't link anything? Don't see anywhere to create them on here?

CPU: AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory

GPU: HIS IceQ X H785QN2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

HD: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

DVD Burner: (wasn't sure I need a Blu Ray?) ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

More about : guys build

December 27, 2012 10:10:09 PM

Crap......add 100 bucks to my price. Forgot about Windows 7, lol. Does 32 or 64 bit matter for the average guy?
m
l
December 27, 2012 10:35:17 PM

Hi :) 

Yes the 64 bit matters as 32 bit will only see 4 gb of ram...

Also DON'T BUY an OEM Blueray (no software) buy RETAIL WITH SOFTWARE... DVD burner OEM is fine...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2012 10:37:10 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Yes the 64 bit matters as 32 bit will only see 4 g of ram...

Also DON'T BUY an OEM Blueray (no software) buy RETAIL WITH SOFTWARE... DVD burner OEM is fine...

Thanks. I had no idea!! Anything else look wrong?
m
l
December 27, 2012 10:42:16 PM

The rest looks fine...

m
l
December 28, 2012 11:48:45 PM

I'm a bit lost on all of this.

I am looking to build the BEST gaming pc I can for 800 bucks or less. I've read a lot on the the Intel vs AMD's and I am having a hard time understanding a lot of this.

I'm not even sure I need that CPU cooler tbh.

Is this AMD CPU a good bet for games like BF3 and future games? Is there a better card I should look at or will that do for the next year to run games on High? I loathe playing games on the lower settings as the little time I have to run around and blow things up.....I would like to at least enjoy it, lol.

I figure once I get my 1st build under my belt, I will understand a lot more about this process. Money is fairly tight due to my wife shaking her head at why a 40 year old man needs a gaming PC. I better be sure I am spending this cash wisely. (well....as wisely as people who play video games can that is......)

Is there a need or a way to go Intel here, or that not worth a bother? Anything I can do cheaper that I should be considering?

Thanks.
m
l
December 28, 2012 11:52:49 PM

mokes said:
I'm a bit lost on all of this.

I am looking to build the BEST gaming pc I can for 800 bucks or less. I've read a lot on the the Intel vs AMD's and I am having a hard time understanding a lot of this.

I'm not even sure I need that CPU cooler tbh.

Is this AMD CPU a good bet for games like BF3 and future games? Is there a better card I should look at or will that do for the next year to run games on High? I loathe playing games on the lower settings as the little time I have to run around and blow things up.....I would like to at least enjoy it, lol.

I figure once I get my 1st build under my belt, I will understand a lot more about this process. Money is fairly tight due to my wife shaking her head at why a 40 year old man needs a gaming PC. I better be sure I am spending this cash wisely. (well....as wisely as people who play video games can that is......)

Is there a need or a way to go Intel here, or that not worth a bother? Anything I can do cheaper that I should be considering?

Thanks.

Tell your wife, I am a LOT older than you and I am still a gamer...

My machine is worth around £3000/$4000

My wife says gaming (and racing cars) keeps me out of trouble...

m
l
December 28, 2012 11:58:16 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Tell your wife, I am a LOT older than you and I am still a gamer...

My machine is worth around £3000/$4000

My wife says gaming (and racing cars) keeps me out of trouble...

Heh.....I would be a dead man, lol. You think this rig can handle BF3 then Brett? I've got it all set on Newegg to buy. I am flying completely blind on this stuff. Little nervous to drop this cash on "hoping" this will actually work.

I still wished I built a cockpit for IL2 when I used to play. :D 
m
l
December 29, 2012 12:23:02 AM

mokes said:
Heh.....I would be a dead man, lol. You think this rig can handle BF3 then Brett? I've got it all set on Newegg to buy. I am flying completely blind on this stuff. Little nervous to drop this cash on "hoping" this will actually work.

I still wished I built a cockpit for IL2 when I used to play. :D 

The rig looks fine... if you want faster loading times between levels whilst gaming, go for an SSD , if load times don't bother you then don't bother...

DVD drive will be fine...Bluerays are only really used for two reasons, playing br movies from disc or backing up huge amounts of data (25 or 50gb at a time)

I have one and cannot remember the last time i used it as a BR...

The graphics card is ok, if you have any spare budget, you could get a better one, if not its fine...

It will run BF3 fine... medium to high, depending on resolution...

m
l
December 29, 2012 1:03:33 AM

Thanks Brett.

I have a GTX 550ti now I could use, but I don't think that will do too well. I'm not up to date on Radeon cards at all now. I'm peeking at GTX660ti cards too. Not a ton more money for one.

I can get a GTX660 for 200, or the GTX660ti for 250. Not sure what the "ti" means though?
m
l
December 29, 2012 4:15:48 PM

personally i would add 50 bux to my budget and buy an intle cpu with a z77 motherboard and some cheap ddr3 1600.
i could even do it for less if i really wanted to scrimp.
its a myth than amd parts are cheaper. there not if you want comparable intel performance you have to pay roughly the same price for amd parts as you would for intel. you pay less because you get less.

m
l
December 29, 2012 4:30:31 PM

Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) $199
ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 $70
G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) $25 thats under 300 bux... and will give substantially more performance per clock than the fx.
no over clocking required...
spending more money on your motherboard than on your cpu isnt a good deal
my build actually comes in cheaper than yours by about 25bux without rebates.
much better for gaming in my opinion.
m
l
December 29, 2012 6:30:35 PM

The build looks fine, and will easily run BF3. Maybe not on ultra at 1080p but it will run it pretty well.

Personally I would get a Intel core i3 3220 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) instead of the amd fx, simply because it is a better gaming CPU, with more efficient cores, and that is what games like BF3 needs the most. (but remember a new motherboard with a z77 chipset)

and, if you don't want to overclock your cpu you don't need a cooler, as the one that comes with the cpu will be enough.
m
l
January 2, 2013 5:55:13 PM

HEXiT said:
Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) $199
ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 $70
G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) $25 thats under 300 bux... and will give substantially more performance per clock than the fx.
no over clocking required...
spending more money on your motherboard than on your cpu isnt a good deal
my build actually comes in cheaper than yours by about 25bux without rebates.
much better for gaming in my opinion.

I like this option too. Just trying to get the best bang for my cheap buck.
m
l
Anonymous
January 3, 2013 7:32:23 AM

Desperate housewives :D 
m
l
January 6, 2013 11:50:33 AM

mokes said:
I like this option too. Just trying to get the best bang for my cheap buck.

I would have to agree on this setup with this budget. I've been saving money now for the past 3 months to build a new gaming pc for the same purposes on gaming and I play lots of MMORPG's. This build would work well, like its been said you may not be able to run BF3 on complete Ultra settings, but it will run ALOT better then your old one, like night and day.

The biggest thing in building a new computer is the CPU, I defiantly think Intel is much better especially for gaming. But the 2nd biggest thing is the graphics card, you can have the BEST CPU and if you dont have a good graphics card then games and things like video editing is not going to be so great. Most of the time ppl will spend more on a graphics card then there processor if not then pretty close. The difference from the GTX660 and the 660Ti is the Ti is OC a TINY BIT, like barrly even see a difference. The 660Ti is like 60Mhz (.06Ghz) speed, "which is nothing." Everything else is the same.
m
l
!