Sign in with
Your question

DirectX11 and older DirectX versions compatibility?

Last response: in Video Games
December 27, 2012 10:25:39 PM

Hello,
Ive been going through alot of my old favourite games lately and almost all of them have some odd display issues, most of them are for windows95/98 etc.. games like starcraft 1 and diablo 1 have graphics issues even the compatibility tab cannot fix (even when ALL of them are checked), does this mean that directx11 doesnt support older versions like directx7/8/9? and if so, how to fix it?
December 27, 2012 10:33:26 PM

I know at least StarCraft was kind of a funky little game when you get to the internals. It ran at a fixed 640x480@256 resolution. Not sure if Diablo is the same way, it's not really so much a DirectX issue often times so much as shortcuts the programmers took in making the game.

If you still have an old copy of Win95/98 laying around, you could install it into something like VirtualBox for the old games. I wouldn't recommend letting the VM have network access. With an old game like Diablo and StarCraft, the overhead of the VM shouldn't be an issue.
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2012 10:52:41 PM

ive tried the resolution thing but it worked just once then after a while the colors all get ruined, ive also tried updating my graphics card drivers to see if thats the problem but nothing, heres my specs if that helps

Core i7-3820QM Processor @2.7 GHz
Nvidia Geforce GT 650M
8GB DDR3 RAM
Windows7 Ultimate x64

ive tried it on another laptop thats 32bit too to see if that was the issue but i got the same thing :\
m
l
December 27, 2012 10:56:14 PM

btw, why shouldnt the VM have network access? if all else fails i might just have to borrow a win95 cd and use a Vm >.<
m
l
December 28, 2012 3:57:33 AM

ChiggyChigChig said:
Hello,
Ive been going through alot of my old favourite games lately and almost all of them have some odd display issues, most of them are for windows95/98 etc.. games like starcraft 1 and diablo 1 have graphics issues even the compatibility tab cannot fix (even when ALL of them are checked), does this mean that directx11 doesnt support older versions like directx7/8/9? and if so, how to fix it?

i'm not an expert on this API stuff but what i know is microsoft did some big overhaul to directx when they introduce dx10 with vista. the way i understands it the older version of directx capabilities/function are most likely built in the hardware (such as gpu) to retain the backward compability with older version of directx. in other words dx11 capable cards like nvidia 400 series and above or radeon 5k series and above should be able to run games that are built with older version of ditect x.

the problem with older games such as starcraft is most likely cause by compability with newer version of windows not the directx itself. that's why there was an option to run a program with compability based on windows version. the color problem in star craft is a known issue but when actually playing the game the color are working as it intended to. i have try this myself.
m
l
December 28, 2012 4:00:34 AM

ChiggyChigChig said:
btw, why shouldnt the V have network access? if all else fails i might just have to borrow a win95 cd and use a Vm >.<

um i had the same PM but there is a one more thing i did not try Thread core games on 1 core

compatibility win95 640x480@256 resolution

win task manager

go to processers

right click on the game in processers

and click on set affiniy

then set it to 1 core click on ok then the game will work in 1 core

i do not know if this will work but if it does not it will always go back to normal when you reload the game up
m
l
January 3, 2013 11:49:12 PM

Thanks to everyone's input here! ive tried the solutions you guys mentioned and they worked most out the time but with some games they would pop back up out of nowhere randomly, only one that was reliable always was the virtual machine method, but it was annoying opening up a virtual machine everytime just for a game :/ 
So after lots of research i finally found the fix! :D  Apparently its a directdraw issue and its well explained here at the end of this blog post http://blog.macuyiko.com/2009/07/solving-color-problem-... and if you use this tool made by this guy http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56175 it should fix all those weird colors by adding compatibility entries to games that rely on directdraw, so far its made starcraft work perfectly! and i dont have to do anything else after that like killing explorer.exe or opening the resolution screen etc.., i can even minimize starcraft and it wont glitch up when i open it up again, hope this helps anyone else that was having troubles with their old favourite games :D 
m
l
!