Presario 5282 upgrade?

I have a Compaq Presario 5282 Desktop that has a AMD K6-2, 450MHz
processor currently installed. I'm trying to upgrade to a faster CPU. I
have 384 megs of RAM. What are my options? I'd like to speed it up a
couple notches so that I can utilize the computer for a basic audio
recording studio. Nothing fancy, just trying to work with an old computer
that's available.

Thanks for your assistance,
Lulu
5 answers Last reply
More about presario 5282 upgrade

    Really, it isn't worth putting any money in that model. The fastest
    processor the board will handle is the K6/2 500, and you really could not
    tell the difference between that and what you have now.
    You also are maxed out on RAM.
    Where you could speed things up is the hard disk. The "Bigfoot" drive you
    have now is dog slow. A new 7,200 rpm drive would be very noticeably faster.
    Since your current drive is 19 GB, the limit on your machine likely is 127
    GB and anthing that size or smaller would work fine. But again, if it were
    my machine, I would not spend anything on it when you can get a new machine,
    10 times faster, with more capacity for a few hundred dollars.

    HH

    "LULU" <lulu@lulu.org> wrote in message

    > I have a Compaq Presario 5282 Desktop that has a AMD K6-2, 450MHz
    > processor currently installed. I'm trying to upgrade to a faster CPU. I
    > have 384 megs of RAM. What are my options? I'd like to speed it up a
    > couple notches so that I can utilize the computer for a basic audio
    > recording studio. Nothing fancy, just trying to work with an old computer
    > that's available.
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance,
    > Lulu

    Thanks for the wake up! What easily ordered computer set up (read value for
    the money) would you suggest? Also any suggestions on audio interfaces.
    I'm still learning the hard way. : )

    Lulu

    "HH" <hahunt42@kgexpress.net> wrote in message
    > Really, it isn't worth putting any money in that model. The fastest
    > processor the board will handle is the K6/2 500, and you really could not
    > tell the difference between that and what you have now.
    > You also are maxed out on RAM.
    > Where you could speed things up is the hard disk. The "Bigfoot" drive you
    > have now is dog slow. A new 7,200 rpm drive would be very noticeably
    > faster. Since your current drive is 19 GB, the limit on your machine
    > likely is 127 GB and anthing that size or smaller would work fine. But
    > again, if it were my machine, I would not spend anything on it when you
    > can get a new machine, 10 times faster, with more capacity for a few
    > hundred dollars.
    >
    > HH
    >
    > "LULU" <lulu@lulu.org> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I have a Compaq Presario 5282 Desktop that has a AMD K6-2, 450MHz
    >> processor currently installed. I'm trying to upgrade to a faster CPU. I
    >> have 384 megs of RAM. What are my options? I'd like to speed it up a
    >> couple notches so that I can utilize the computer for a basic audio
    >> recording studio. Nothing fancy, just trying to work with an old
    >> computer that's available.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your assistance,
    >> Lulu

    I've gotten very good service from my Presario SR 1000Z (Sempron 2800,
    512MB, 80GB, DVD-RW). I've had it a year with no problems. Take a look at
    this link:

    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?series_name=SR1010Z_series&catLevel=2&category=desktops/compaq_presario&storeName=computer_store

    As for "audio interface" I'm not sure what you mean. You can get either
    onboard audio or a soundblaster Audigy card.

    > Thanks for the wake up! What easily ordered computer set up (read value
    > for the money) would you suggest? Also any suggestions on audio
    > interfaces. I'm still learning the hard way. : )
    >
    > Lulu
    >

    > "HH" <hahunt42@kgexpress.net> wrote in message
    >> Really, it isn't worth putting any money in that model. The fastest
    >> processor the board will handle is the K6/2 500, and you really could not
    >> tell the difference between that and what you have now.
    >> You also are maxed out on RAM.
    >> Where you could speed things up is the hard disk. The "Bigfoot" drive you
    >> have now is dog slow. A new 7,200 rpm drive would be very noticeably
    >> faster. Since your current drive is 19 GB, the limit on your machine
    >> likely is 127 GB and anthing that size or smaller would work fine. But
    >> again, if it were my machine, I would not spend anything on it when you
    >> can get a new machine, 10 times faster, with more capacity for a few
    >> hundred dollars.
    >>
    >> HH
    >>
    >> "LULU" <lulu@lulu.org> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> I have a Compaq Presario 5282 Desktop that has a AMD K6-2, 450MHz
    >>> processor currently installed. I'm trying to upgrade to a faster CPU.
    >>> I have 384 megs of RAM. What are my options? I'd like to speed it up a
    >>> couple notches so that I can utilize the computer for a basic audio
    >>> recording studio. Nothing fancy, just trying to work with an old
    >>> computer that's available.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your assistance,
    >>> Lulu

    If you're looking to buy from a company, look no further then your
    newspaper. In this weeks ads, Office Max is showing a Compaq Sempron
    3100, half a gig of RAM, 100 gig drive, CD/DVD RW, 9 in 1 memory
    reader, speakers, and what looks like a 17inch no frills monitor. 449
    bucks, seems like a winner to me.

    It seems like a good, cheap alternative for the purposes that I had in mind!

    Thanks for the tip.
    Lulu : )

    "dannysdailys" <dannysdailys@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > If you're looking to buy from a company, look no further then your
    > newspaper. In this weeks ads, Office Max is showing a Compaq Sempron
    > 3100, half a gig of RAM, 100 gig drive, CD/DVD RW, 9 in 1 memory
    > reader, speakers, and what looks like a 17inch no frills monitor. 449
    > bucks, seems like a winner to me.

Compaq Presario Computers